Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Kahnt
United States
Austintown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
are stupid.

Every time I think I should go to one, I say to myself... "self... you can do it, how hard can it be?" Inevitably something goes wrong and the blinking light of "cashier help" fixes on me like a loser beacon during a calm day.

I hate them.

-DK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really? They seldom give me any difficulty. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve.

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
are stupid.

Every time I think I should go to one, I say to myself... "self... you can do it, how hard can it be?" Inevitably something goes wrong and the blinking light of "cashier help" fixes on me like a loser beacon during a calm day.

I hate them.

-DK

As one of my friends who never uses them pointed out: "There are worse things in life than being a bad cashier."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
They aren't very common here. Some of the stores that featured them, like Fresh & Easy, have gone bankrupt.

I find them a little annoying. I haven't noticed one that lets you say you have ten of something. Some of them seem to want you to put the item in the bag before the next item; weighing the bag, I suppose. Often something goes wrong. Getting them to stop scanning and accept payment can be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
are stupid.

I hate them.

-DK

I don't mind them.

But they prohibit alcohol sales in them out here.

I have been caught early morning getting ice and beer (2 items) for a party later that day...can't go in the self-checkout, and they don't have a 10 item or less aisle open because it is early and they have self-check out aisles....I always get stuck behind an elderly person who needs help using their ATM card (or they are using a check).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
flag msg tools
They're everywhere here. There were initial issues but they now seem pretty straightforward.
I don't like using them because I don't want to put people out of work.

I also don't like apps in games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:

It seems to me I've done that, and it just alarms for the attendant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
droberts441 wrote:

It seems to me I've done that, and it just alarms for the attendant.

How long ago?

That happened at one point...it would just lock it out, but now you can't:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Alcohol-can-t-be-sold...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be alone in thinking this are the greatest things ever.

Usually when there is a delay in the line I am in its because somebody can't figure out how to use their debit card or because the cashier needs an override which means EVERYONE in line has to wait. None of that happens in the self checkout line.

I know how to scan groceries. I know how my card works. If somebody else in the self check needs an override, it doesn't slow me down. I know how to put things in a bag, often faster and more efficiently than the just-out-of-high school checkout clerk does. If I have less than 12 items and no produce I can get usually through the self checkout in less than two minutes.

Oh yeah, also, there is no guessing which of the five open registers is going to be the fastest. Everybody is in the same line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
casualcasual wrote:
They're everywhere here. There were initial issues but they now seem pretty straightforward.

Same here (both the machines and the apps).

I'll be perfectly happy to use them when all work is automated, but until then all they do is indeed put people out of work. Both Coles and Woolies have made the same claim about them not doing so, but have replaced large numbers per shop of the manned checkouts and cut staff (and a local independant supermarket has for once led the way and removed well-over half their manned checkouts - and the related staff).

Livelihoods are more important to me than ever-growing profit (the economy is part of, and subservient to, society, not an end in itself, and the whole employer-employee arrangement is, indeed must be, two-way, not one-way), and so is the availability of jobs whilst work is required to live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I almost always use them, as they are usually the only option without a line. Plus, I live in a state that doesn't allow me to pump my own gas, so I've gotta take what I can get...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave wrote:
I almost always use them, as they are usually the only option without a line. Plus, I live in a state that doesn't allow me to pump my own gas, so I've gotta take what I can get...

Hahaha I was in Merrill Oregon last weekend getting gas there, and I almost totally forgot about the gas....despite me knowing since my grandparents used to live in Oregon (before they passed away), so I knew better...but it has been a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
droberts441 wrote:
How long ago?

That happened at one point...it would just lock it out, but now you can't:

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Alcohol-can-t-be-sold...

I guess when Fresh & Easy (Tesco) was still around, and they left about the same time the law took effect. I usually shop at mb, where they don't consider customers inconveniences. I do often do my own bagging, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:

Usually when there is a delay in the line I am in its because somebody can't figure out how to use their debit card or because the cashier needs an override which means EVERYONE in line has to wait. None of that happens in the self checkout line.

I know how to scan groceries. I know how my card works. If somebody else in the self check needs an override, it doesn't slow me down. I know how to put things in a bag, often faster and more efficiently than the just-out-of-high school checkout clerk does. If I have less than 12 items and no produce I can get usually through the self checkout in less than two minutes.

Oh yeah, also, there is no guessing which of the five open registers is going to be the fastest. Everybody is in the same line.

I like them a lot too. Usually quicker, and I don't have to engage in small talk with the cashier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just another Steve.

Allen Park
Michigan
msg tools
Have you joined the 2016 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
Hey, go vote to choose the Hack the Black contest winners!
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer them because I can bag my groceries in away that makes sense for my refrigerators and cupboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Casiglio
United States
Ansonia
CT
flag msg tools
Falcon 2016: October 28, 29 and 30 in Stamford, CT
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little surprised ... not only does everyone else's self-checkout seem behind what we've had in the north east for years, but we're two levels of technology past that. First was the "Scan-It" wand that let you scan your groceries as you shopped, but now even those are being replaced with a phone app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local Wal-Mart has just put them in. I don't expect them to last.

I remember in the late 90s and early 00's back when I lived in Columbus, that some stores put them in. They didn't last more than a few months. Given how the local populous hates change, it won't last very long here either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate them. I really hate TV ads where celebrities talk about their first job at Woolworths and how much it helped them get a start in life (blah blah). Those jobs in the feel-good ads are being wiped out by self service machinery. It's all about the bottom line, and our supermarket chains are guilty of brutal cartel practices that screw workers, suppliers and ultimately consumers alike.

So I avoid self serve checkouts, and deliberately make mistakes whenever I am forced to use one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid them. They're anti-labor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
DKahnt wrote:
are stupid.

I hate them.

-DK

I find them annoying too.

Last time I was at a store with the family, my wfe went to one. I picked an item up at the wrong time to put in the bag and it freaked out and my wife and kid started yelling at me. How was I suppose to know that you can't start bagging everything is scanned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:

I'd say this was largely my opinion for a few years, until we moved a block away from a really amazing grocery store.

Which we now shop at an average of...once a day? It's really just that fantastic. No problem with lines, as the store calls up another cashier as soon as there is a line longer than 2 people. Experienced staff who are as fast as we'd be as self-checkout at the very least, but considerably better at recommending things when we're looking for advice on fish/cheeses/wines/beers/whatever.

It's really not that much more expensive that other stores, and the quality of service absolutely validates what difference there is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Ozludo wrote:
I hate them. I really hate TV ads where celebrities talk about their first job at Woolworths and how much it helped them get a start in life (blah blah). Those jobs in the feel-good ads are being wiped out by self service machinery. It's all about the bottom line, and our supermarket chains are guilty of brutal cartel practices that screw workers, suppliers and ultimately consumers alike.

So I avoid self serve checkouts, and deliberately make mistakes whenever I am forced to use one.

Interesting. I've yet to be forced to use one. When they were introduced they had staff "encouraging" people to use them (and yes, I did ask if they enjoyed putting themselves out of a job), but that's died off, and the supermarkets here still seem to feel compelled to have one or two manned checkouts open at all times (for now...). Even at Kmart, where they try the hardest to make you use the things, standing around for a few seconds at a regular checkout and looking pointedly at staff gets human service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Sexby
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:
casualcasual wrote:

9-*0q1Same here (both the machines and the apps).

I'll be perfectly happy to use them when all work is automated, but until then all they do is indeed put people out of work. Both Coles and Woolies have made the same claim about them not doing so, but have replaced large numbers per shop of the manned checkouts and cut staff (and a local independant supermarket has for once led the way and removed well-over half their manned checkouts - and the related staff).

Livelihoods are more important to me than ever-growing profit (the economy is part of, and subservient to, society, not an end in itself, and the whole employer-employee arrangement is, indeed must be, two-way, not one-way), and so is the availability of jobs whilst work is required to live.

+1 to this; Jason and others have nailed it. I'm a supermarket worker and a trade union rep, so I have, erm, forceful opinions towards them - a rantier version of the comments above, so I'll spare you. All I'll say is that you're spot on to point out that it's killing people's livelihoods...thanks for the empathy and support, folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refuse to use then.

I bring my own bags (as per what people think is a good idea) and these bloody machines generally expect you to "put the item in the bagging area" yet throw a wobbly if you out another item (such as your own bag) there "unexpected item in the bagging area".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.