49.5% of Goal | left

Support:

Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in my title, I had a mind blowing kundalini crisis that sent me to emergency. Since that time I've been on again off again maintaining my interest after the fact. I had joined a cult which began it all, quit, then joined back again, then quit again.. and have experienced loss of my root chakra many times. I'm done with what I was doing before and don't want to go back to it ever again for many reasons I will not need to get into here.

Now I want to practice again while going to school. I don't want to spend any money and have considered charismatic Christianity. I've been wary of it though for the simple reason I hold no stock in the Bible and am very liberal, the churches which are charismatic being very conservative. I'm very lost and don't know what to do. I've considered practicing Gurdjieff 4th Way, Theosophy, Thelema, or obtaining certification in therapeutic touch or reiki. I've also considered getting an exorcism since the sensation of energy passing into and out of my body has never went away. My presumption is that a big reason for the increase in demand of exorcism has been from people in a similar situation as me.

I'm desperately wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation as me, like had had a mind-blowing religious experience only to quit it and be left drifting. I'm especially interested to hear stories from people about moving from one guru to another, what was that like for you?

My one consolation : I'm a literature major and have been studying the intersection between horror and the mystical experience. My favourite authors thinking about this idea are Rudolf Otto, Matt Cardin, Thomas Ligotti, Richard Gavin, Eugene Thacker, and Jeffrey Kripal. I have no poverty of ideas.

Here are some interesting links,

An interview with Matt Cardin about the nature of the religious experience and the ideas of Rudolf Otto

Eugene Thacker discussed by Glenn Beck,

Jeffrey Kripal lecturing about the paranormal and the mystical experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My hovercraft is full of eels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my username has to do with that I hover
It's an inside joke about me in my family

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
?

Am I missing something?

You are in a big city.

Have you considered attending various weekly meetings?

Look around. See what you like. Different people like different things. Some people shift around their whole life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
?

Am I missing something?

You are in a big city.

Have you considered attending various weekly meetings?

Look around. See what you like. Different people like different things. Some people shift around their whole life.

everything costs money
the new age community is all centred around business and they shun people who have had negative experiences, too many people in that crowd promote good vibrations in order to profit
I've tried joining communities and as soon as they find out about my interests in horror, they ban me or whatever. I've often gotten banned after bringing up the horror of my emergence crisis.

I've given up on trying to find a community. They're not of like mind.

in Korea, shamanism is seen to be an art that centres around tragedy, and they believe they are cursed. This is the proper view to have. But it is far different than the view pervading in the west.

Once you get to more intellectual levels studying religion, there is a strong horror tradition

I ran off track replying to you. My point is, there is no community, it all revolves around business

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered converting to Islam ? It's all the rage these days and appears to be the most peaceful of all the major religions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Maybe you are just really really bad at picking congregations.

I had not considered that in my original question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Maybe you are just really really bad at picking congregations.

I had not considered that in my original question.

I could as easily say I felt the infilling of the holy spirit as I could say I had a kundalini crisis.

I've approached like Anglican and Lutheran churches about my experience and they pretty much had no idea of what I was talking about, which honestly surprised me a lot because kundalini crisis has been all over the news in the past 20 years or so since the advent of the internet and proliferation of the mystical experience for cash. Pay for reiki attunement then explode your head. This became very popular and easy to do and easy to go insane from.

My belief is that churches have been inundated with people in crisis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Sounds like Unitarian Universalism might be the way to go. I get the impression that the local church is very liberal, and their doctrine is loose enough that I doubt anyone would be horrified by your spiritual history. I don't know if that's true of UU churches generally, and I don't know what their fundraising is like, but that's what I'd be interested in checking out if I were in your shoes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Gill
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rinelk wrote:
Sounds like Unitarian Universalism might be the way to go. I get the impression that the local church is very liberal, and their doctrine is loose enough that I doubt anyone would be horrified by your spiritual history. I don't know if that's true of UU churches generally, and I don't know what their fundraising is like, but that's what I'd be interested in checking out if I were in your shoes.

you're right I should look into them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaitlyn Smith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Have you considered converting to Islam ? It's all the rage these days and appears to be the most peaceful of all the major religions.
Appearances can be deceiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
This demonstration is not authorized and is in clear violation of Mall of America policy.
badge
Those who continue to demonstrate will be subject to arrest.
mbmb
Hovercraft wrote:
rinelk wrote:

you're right I should look into them

Hope you find something which suits you, there or wherever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Thats just the sort of thing a Kaitlyn would say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Was your Kundalini with 'mushrooms' or 'pesto'? I've tried neither is why, for the inquiry. robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a kundalini crisis pray tell, and how does it send you to emergency ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jonb wrote:
wow H-E-L-L-O-! obviously, it was WHEN they had to decide upon either the 'mushrooms' or 'pesto' versions, as they had "analysis paralysis" result from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kaitlyn_Res wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Thats just the sort of thing a Kaitlyn would say.

She's RSP's Mistress of Understatement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try marijuana, all the fun of religion with none of the downsides.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:

He's been waiting for someone to ask...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sfox wrote:

You say that now, but wait until the spit test comes to your state. Insurance rates gonna soar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Money. It's whats at the core of all american religon anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
sfox wrote:

You say that now, but wait until the spit test comes to your state. Insurance rates gonna soar!

I don't smoke in any case, it never did much for me. I suspect I just never tried 'the good stuff' or enough of it. I'm perfectly happy with alcohol myself.

My comment was really just intended to address the desire the OP expressed for 'intense religious experience'. There are all sorts of ways to trigger the exact same feelings of being 'one with the universe' or being really connected to a group of people (different things, but two very important factors in most religious). Volunteer for a group doing something you really care about, take drugs, starve yourself, deprive yourself of sleep, expose yourself to extreme heat, etc. Any number of ways to trigger these types of feelings.

Religions have been using such things to make people think they have met "god" or some other type of spiritual being, ghost, ancestor, etc for as long as we have any records of human existence. Drugs, although dangerous, are at least an honest example of where such experiences come from. Steve Jobs was a big proponent of LSD, for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
1. How do understand these events you say happened to you?
2. What are you looking to get out of a religion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Miracles and grandiose religious experiences-- even if they're real-- are nothing in and of themselves. They grab your attention but then what?

Are you looking for more flashy stuff or do you want to learn how to be a good person, what life means, or what exactly?

IMO as a religious person, it is far better to be an atheist who strives to be a good decent human being in this life than to chase after dubious religious experiences and an afterlife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HUH? I don't understand most of what you said.

Have you just tried going to a regular church?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.