War of the Ring (second edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Gollum on the last step of mordor!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
My friend and I just played a wonderful session. There were crazy happenings- most significantly a small army of dwarves brought to War by a young strider and a rather old book managed to retake the Fallen Elven Kingdom of Lorien.

The fellowship made it all the way to the crack of Doom, one final step to go. There were several bad tiles in the pool before I attempted my final move with gollum as my guide. Corruption was at 11. The final tile Drew was a one reveal.

My friend and I debated for a long time who won the game. My interpretation is that gollum was unaffected by the reveal icon and then could choose to reveal the fellowship to lower the corruption by one bringing it down to zero meaning that the Free People won and the ring was destroyed. Am I accurate in my understanding? It truly was a wonderful game the fellowship with 11 corruption on the final step, 3 points for the FP and the shadow had 10 points of military Victory as well. Look forward to hearing your interpretations and thank you in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct in your understanding. This is what essentially happened in the source material.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Gollum Save The Day?
Mmmmmmm .... had a quick glance at the rules and would wonder
about who won as well. As far as I understand things, if the
corruption goes to 12, which it did with the 1 part of the hunt
token, the Shadow Player immediately wins.

Looking at the Gollum card, it states "if the Fellowship is not
revealed as an effect of the Hunt ...", which it was, so Gollum's
ability to reduce the corruption is not possible? Gollum does
protect the Hobbits from the reveal part, but the reveal part
is an effect of the tile.

Not 100% sure on this and would luv to see others opinions ... Walts

EDIT: See my post below ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a win for the free.

The corruption does not get to 12 as the damage is not applied until all net effects are done. Gollum can reveal the fellowship to reduce the damage to 0, as the fellowship are NOT revealed due to Gollum's guide ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
You won by the skin of your teeth!

I won a game of WotR in a similar manner, but as the Shadow player, when just as Frodo going to drop the ring into the lava, he was corrupted on the very last turn, and Gollum could not quite save the day!

Fun to win such a close game, huh?!
This is why I gave the game WotR a 10 rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh, still learning this game! Thanks for the posts everyone.

I found this webpage by the game publishers which covers this
question exactly ...

http://www.aresgames.eu/2372

... Scroll down to the "Gollum" section where it mentions this
exact scenario ... Walts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
... I'm assuming that the One-Reveal Hunt
tile was a standard (beige) one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to knowing how to deal with situations like this one is thoroughly understanding the game's terminology, in this case the terms "Hunt Damage" and "Corruption".

Hunt Damage is inflicted on the Fellowship by various game effects, including the Hunt for the Ring. It can be reduced by play-on-the-table Event cards, Guide abilities, and Hunt casualties. If any Hunt Damage remains after this reduction, the Ring must be used, and the remaining Hunt Damage becomes Corruption, resulting in movement on the Corruption Track. This procedure is followed for any game effect which follows the rules for a successful Hunt.

In other words, it ain't Corruption until Frodo uses the Ring. So, in the OP's example, the Corruption never reached 12 because the Hunt Damage was reduced to zero and the Ring wasn't used, so Corruption wasn't applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walts
Scotland
Kilwinning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was to be honest about my misunderstanding, I find the text on
the Gollum card to be a bit confusing. But, having seen the various
posts and publishers link, this card will stick with me now.

Our problem? We play soooooo many different games at the club that
WotR rarely comes out to get totally efficient with the rules.

I use TTS (Workshop) files to ref everything. Need to see if I can
rope others into playing online, just to get my LotR fix!

Thanks to KC for his post ... Walts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tumpane
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thank you all for the replies. It was indeed a very close game,.one of the tightest I've been in.

The big question mark for me was whether or not a beige hunt tile with a number and a reveal was considered a standard numbered tile, which by all acounts it is. I've probably got 10 plays of this game in the last week and a half alone, and after all these years it still finds ways to surprise me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liverportlandia wrote:
The big question mark for me was whether or not a beige hunt tile with a number and a reveal was considered a standard numbered tile, which by all acounts it is.

See page 40 of the Rulebook for Hunt tile type definitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is truly a masterpiece. In my experience, it almost invariably comes down to a tremendously close finish.

Just today, after an incredible 4-hour game, pretty much the same thing happened to me.

With 10 corruption and Gollum as my guide, I attempted to move to the Crack of Doom. The hunt tile drawn was a beige (standard) 2 corruption + reveal tile. As a standard tile, the reveal effect can be ignored by Gollum. Consequently, since the fellowship was not revealed, I could choose to optionally reveal it in order to reduce the hunt damage by 1. So with 11 corruption the ring was destroyed and the free peoples won a hard - earned victory.

Exhilarating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Leis
United States
Merino
Colorado
flag msg tools
I spent 100 GG and all I got was this stupid overtext.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
The game is truly a masterpiece. In my experience, it almost invariably comes down to a tremendously close finish.

Just today, after an incredible 4-hour game, pretty much the same thing happened to me.

With 10 corruption and Gollum as my guide, I attempted to move to the Crack of Doom. The hunt tile drawn was a beige (standard) 2 corruption + reveal tile. As a standard tile, the reveal effect can be ignored by Gollum. Consequently, since the fellowship was not revealed, I could choose to optionally reveal it in order to reduce the hunt damage by 1. So with 11 corruption the ring was destroyed and the free peoples won a hard - earned victory.

Exhilarating.

I always picture Gollum wrestling with an invisible Frodo before finally biting off his finger and plunging down into the crack of doom when I get that ending .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.