Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
E Talley
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence for awhile on this game. I like deck builders but am not a huge fan of baseball. I know the rules of the game but really don't watch very often. The game mechanics are interesting but I'm not sure it's my style.

Is it worth $6 to try it out on the iPad? Is the iPad experience enough to help me make a decision on the physical game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Dabrowski
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Talley
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the iOS app for over two hours. I was pretty frustrated early but am beginning to see the strategy a little better.

I am still struggling on what to use for pinch hitters when I am the home team. Visitors seem to benefit from defensive cards that eliminate hits.

I like it on the iPad but am not sold yet on a purchase. I'll get somebody from my local game group to show me the strategy. If I'm lucky Mike Fitzgerald will be at one of the sessions.

He sold me on Mottainai and I'm pretty sure he knows how to play Baseball Highlights 2045

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Rekich
United States
Lyndora
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the app have a tutorial to teach you how to play the game step by step?
I have the physical copy of the board game, but am confused by some of the rules. Learning to play on the app would probably make me want to play my "real" game more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sinclair
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the app does have a tutorial and Peter has put a lot of effort into it. That alone is worth the $6.

Its a great game, absolutely worth the $6 (price of a cup of coffee). You can make the decision about the physical copy, but I'd say playing the game in person makes it even better!

Give it a shot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gradman2k3 wrote:
I've been on the fence for awhile on this game. I like deck builders but am not a huge fan of baseball. I know the rules of the game but really don't watch very often. The game mechanics are interesting but I'm not sure it's my style.

Is it worth $6 to try it out on the iPad? Is the iPad experience enough to help me make a decision on the physical game?

I have 0 interest in baseball, but really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played the iPad version half a dozen times and that is all it took to lock buying the physical game...all of it... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely worth it. This game is excellent and if you're a baseball fan, it is sublime. I actually sold my physical copy after almost 20 plays and settled on the Ipad version for the time being (subject to changing of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph H. Anderson
United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all! We really appreciate how much you are all enjoying the game.

Peter Kossits has done a fabulous job porting the game to digital. He has also just released three expansions of 10 Free Agents each: Naturals-Magna Glove; Robot-Hitters; and Cyborg-Pitchers.

The use of the Pinch Hitter requires some thought. It will certainly somewhat depend on what the other player has in his deck and especially which card(s) he just added to the top of his deck. If he picked up 5 Tool Model its a good idea to have a Curve Pitcher as a Pinch Hitter. After all, he may have put 5 Tool Model as HIS Pinch Hitter - so you want the flexibility to bring him in this game or the next game. I frequently put my Clutch Hitters On Deck as well. I don't want to have to waste them if no opportunity to use them shows up.

With more play I am sure you will come up with better and better choices for Pinch Hitter.

Ralph

Go Wiffle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The pinch-hitter mechanic is excellent and makes for tough decision points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have also decided to buy the game based on playing the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
Chiken Bird wrote:
Yes, the app does have a tutorial and Peter has put a lot of effort into it. That alone is worth the $6.

Its a great game, absolutely worth the $6 (price of a cup of coffee). You can make the decision about the physical copy, but I'd say playing the game in person makes it even better!

Give it a shot!

Where the heck are you buying your coffee! LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good baseball managers should never skimp on their coffee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or bourbon. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
I played the iPad version half a dozen times and that is all it took to lock buying the physical game...all of it... cool

This was my experience as well. I played two full games on the Ipad and I was hooked. First off, my son is a bit too young for this today (he's almost 7), but in a couple years when he can grasp the cards a little bit better, I guarantee he will play this with me a ton. I also have a lot of buddies who would eat up this theme.

The game is unconventional at first, but really, it's super streamlined and easy to teach. Once players grasp the concept that your played card doesn't activate until your opponent chooses to play their card, it's off to the races from that point.

Each to teach? Check
Great theme, especially if you are a sports/baseball fan? Check
Replayability? Check
That unquantifiable addictive quality that makes you want to play it again, immediately after playing it, win or lose? Check
Ability to play it solo?
Check

This is such a unique experience. There's really nothing out there like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially avoided it for the reason you mentioned - unconventional. After playing it, I totally loved it. The theme is great and the way the games play out is amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loc .
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Chiken Bird wrote:

Give it a shot!

Where do you drink coffee??!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.