9 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Earning MC Production When Placing ANY Tile? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
So my friend and I were able to play a session together and I must say, he had a great time playing it, as I did. He totally kicked my butt (which I expected) and then he later played a solo game.

A question did came up though that I never thought of until he brought it up. I feel there is some confusion about city tiles. That being, do you get the MC Production bonus from placing city tiles from the green cards? Or is this only applicable with the "Standard Projects" way of building a city?

He made a good point with you being able to raise the oxygen level when you place a greenery tile from the green cards so he and I are curious if you get the +1MC product when you place a city tile from a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get the bonus when building a city via the standard project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
That's how I originally thought it was though the rules kinda/sorta don't say it but yeah, that is what I figured. It was bothering my friend because he finds some of the cities useless in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Each city from cards gives what the card says. The cities on Phobos and Ganymedes is only counted for the landlord award, but all other cities gets VP for the greeneries, so you need to place the city tiles wisely. Sure the city itself would be rather useless, but you get effects from the card played at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Schuber
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah I believe my friend was really only a bit upset with the cities while he was playing solo, which I would have to somewhat agree with as cities in solo aren't as useful as they are in 2 or more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
In solo play, you use cities to double your greenery score, which could give high value. Plan the greenery placement to get a greenery to belong to two or even three cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Örjan, this seems wrong. You cannot get points for the neutral cities, because they would score points for the neutral player, not you. However, putting your cities adjacent to neutral greeneries increase your own city's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, the cities you play yourself is only used to get more points out of the greeneries. I tried to say so, but failed apparently. Maybe I should have added "of your own cities".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes perfect sense now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.