Subject: So Many Tokens (What Were They Smokin'?) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Well. I just broke open and punched my first SOB boxed set. So heavy. So full of stuff. Such nice minis. So many, many, many tokens. Is there a list somewhere explaining what all these tokens are used for. Many are self-explanatory. But there's many, no so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly there's a ton of them that you won't use very often at all. The important tokens to get are the Grit, and the Exploration tokens. You'll want to grab a few of the wound and dark stone tokens out as well. Also you'll need some of the bandages/dynamite/tonics/whiskeys.

If you really want, you can use the wound and sanity tokens to mark for your heroes, but that crap is miserable - if you have extra D20's around just use them for health/sanity, and if not that you can print out a health tracker on paper and save yourself a lot of hassle of moving tokens on and off your character sheet.

The other stuff you may come upon later, but that will get you started!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cully
United Kingdom
Stonehouse
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the many (many...many...) character sheets in the files section will serve you better than the wound markers, in my experience, however a handful should be kept around for monsters. Pick one to have a game with, if it works for you, keep with it, if not, grab a new one and transpose all the details. no need to start a new character for a new sheet.

Things like the swamp fungus (i think) tokens are pretty rarely needed, and most of the side bag tokens it's easier to keep track of on the character sheet than tokens, if your group is happy with that kind of thing.

I dialled back a lot of the tokens from the box, and have them stored elsewhere should i ever find use of them. There's nothing in the books about there being a limited supply, and my regular posse haven't come close to looking like they'd be hitting it, anyway.

From memory, you'll need:
Darkness and party depth markers for the darkness track
Some wound markers for monsters (monsters, i dont think, take sanity damage)
Darkstone (can be tracked on paper, but I think it's nice to actually have the physical representation (however 2D) of what's going to drive you crazy)
corpse pile (looks like a vague pile of bodies) - these spawn dead people during some fights

most of the rest can be ignored in early games, i think. You might decide to use the elite monster markers to remind you of the elite abilities should they come up, but again, it's just as easy to write it down or use a die on the monster card to record them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I actually like using wound/sanity markers to keep track of health/sanity. It reduces wear and tear on character sheets considerably.

Also: you'll likely want to use the ko'd hero markers.
And some of the expansions also have tokens you'll want to use. (eg: frontier town civilians, horses etc)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At this point the game is overwhelming my storage solutions again so I've taken to storing Cynder and Trederra in their own boxes. I put the previous Trederra soldiers we had in the box too since they were Trederran.

Yes there's a lot of tokens in the box. Now I have a big tackle box plus a full size and 3 smaller boxes to haul around on a hand cart. I guess I can't blame anyone but myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Wrigley
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
The sheer amount of stuff in the one base game is astonishing and a bit overwhelming. I can't fault Frog for giving customers their money's worth; but it has given me an appreciation for how efficient Fantasy Flight in designing the components for their equally sprawling, component-heavy games. I've played FFG games I struggled to get onto one large table (I'm looking at you, Arkham/Eldricht Horror). I despair of ever getting all of City of Ancients laid out comfortably, let alone the expanded game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WillyRapier wrote:
You might decide to use the elite monster markers to remind you of the elite abilities should they come up, but again, it's just as easy to write it down or use a die on the monster card to record them

We tried using dice to mark elite abilities, but too often I ended up removing the elite-marking dice when pushing dice off to the side. So we went back to the tokens. We also use the number tokens from Cynder (I think - maybe Frontier Town?) to mark increased monster stats when applicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Santoni
United States
Davie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yea once you print out a character sheet, that's available, you don't really need the tokens. We use the health and sanity markers, but rest is just kind of a waste of space and time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.