Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So Last night I got MoM2E, played it solo and had a blast. I was a little let down that the game only had 3 scenarios in it, but with enough randomization it should be fine.

We love Eldritch Horror because of the narrative and the fact that the story is different every time.

Today after a session of Kingdom Death (We are doing terribly) I was showing one of my players how MoM2E works and was clicking through the app to show him. Thats when I realized that the first mission anyways seems to play out EXACTLY the same every time you play it.

Please tell me thats only for the basic mission and the game is more random then this. Or did I wast $100 on a game I can really only play 3-4 times. Or do I have to buy MoM1E and/or expansions to get the full flavor of the game and replayability ?

Like I said ive only clicked through it but everything was exactly the same the 4 times I did it just now and ive only played once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually 4 scenarios.

I've seen 3 or 4 different maps in the first scenario but I also have the 1ed base set and Forbidden Alchemy. Not sure what the variety is like without those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played the first scenario once but the owner (who had only played it once before as well) said that time was completely different from the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Upton
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll avoid spoilers, but I also clicked through several times learning to play the game and incorporate the app. The layouts, encounters, etc. were very different for me. The fate of the butler has also varied quite a bit! I will say that I also have my 1st edition core box mixed in, and didn't really keep track of which tiles were from each set. The expansions will help to vary the settings and encounters even more, but I have to say that your decisions weigh heavily on the experience you will have. In earlier tests, I found the major happenings inside the mansion. During my first play tonight, it was actually happening outside. Really came down to the wire with one of our investigators eliminated as we were assaulted by a Star Spawn and a Chthonian, left with only one remaining round to pull off a win. Also, the objective for the scenario was different in the end, based on the decisions and actions taken up until that point. I think it does a great job of encouraging you to try things differently. I can't wait to give it another go and see how everyone reacts to how much it will change if we do some things differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario has the most variation of the 4 included scenarios. Two additional scenarios have already been announced. Even though the stories are similar every time you play, I feel that different plays are different enough to replay scenarios multiple times.

Additionally, you will probably not win the scenario on your first (or second) playthrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
So Last night I got MoM2E, played it solo and had a blast. I was a little let down that the game only had 3 scenarios in it, but with enough randomization it should be fine.

We love Eldritch Horror because of the narrative and the fact that the story is different every time.

Today after a session of Kingdom Death (We are doing terribly) I was showing one of my players how MoM2E works and was clicking through the app to show him. Thats when I realized that the first mission anyways seems to play out EXACTLY the same every time you play it.

Please tell me thats only for the basic mission and the game is more random then this. Or did I wast $100 on a game I can really only play 3-4 times. Or do I have to buy MoM1E and/or expansions to get the full flavor of the game and replayability ?

Like I said ive only clicked through it but everything was exactly the same the 4 times I did it just now and ive only played once.

I played the first three scenarios quite a bit.
Unfortunately, at least for my experience, that feeling is there for the second and third scenario also.
Map can change, some events change, a puzzle can be different, but at the end what you need to do it is pretty the same every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive clicked through it about 6 times now, and the map is exactly the same every time.

we will be playing it tonight, hopefully its different enough to make it fun, but from what i can tell everything is exactly the same, including the location of the puzzle box and the location of the ritual.

Every room is exactly the same and items in each room are exactly teh same.

Literally its the same every time, am I missin something, is it supposed to do this? If so I may just sell it, thats super annoying and a wast of $100

I see a trend that everyone thats getting different layouts also has 1E.

Im testing the PC version of the app to make sure its not just my phone.

So far the only thing thats different is the starting items.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
its always an L hallway with the bathroom on the right at the end of the hall, theres always papers to the left, always a painting on the right. The door on the right always has a noise behind it, with a barricade next to it.

its always the dining room and kitchen to the right door with a Haunting Horror, a knife 1 explore token in the dining room and two in the kitchen with Eugine in the kitchen as well.

talking to him after you kill the monster he makes you pass a handshake (dont have the game out infront of me) 3 successes and he tells you where the box is. the bedroom is at the end of the hall.

The only difference I have seen is sometimes there a monster in the bedroom, but the token on the right (the dresser) always has the puzzle box, its the exact same puzzle as well, it takes 4 moves to complete it.

you go down the lass on the right and open the door at the end of the hall and that leads to outside, the ritual is out there, im not going to continue but thats the gist, every time its the same exact thing. I stop the ritual and leave and its game over.

Im fine with what we are doing being the same, but I would like at least the map to e different so I actually have to explorebut right now I know what needs to be done exatly to win every time.

Is my app broken? Im going to test the PC version and reinstall my app or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same concerns here... after initially getting a buzz from the strong sense of exploration, I'm actually very disappointed with the replay experience. Even on the second play of the first scenario, adding in 1st edition components and deliberately trying to do things differently, there were no big surprises, and knowing roughly where to go and what sort of things we might face really took out a lot of the suspense.

I then clicked through a third game to see if I could find any other interesting variations - and there were hardly any changes from the second game. As far as I can see, the 4th scenario may be even less variable (played once, clicked through part of it once, saw no significant changes at all). I haven't tried 2 or 3 yet so can't say anything about those.

The trouble is you can't make the app change things up - part of it seems to be random so you could end up with different experiences or you could end up doing the same thing each time. At least in the first edition there were 3 significant variations on each scenario so the keeper could deliberately choose from 15 different setups... here you can only rely on 4 scenarios with an occasional surprise, if you're lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried the PC version three times, while its very different from the (didnt read anything just clicked through) app, its also, always the exact same every time, whether i complete it or not.

WTF, this is super annoying.This is the map every time on PC

Even the puzzle is exactly the same...

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Bastianelli
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
I just tried the PC version three times, while its very different from the (didnt read anything just clicked through) app, its also, always the exact same every time, whether i complete it or not.

Am I missing something?

Nope. That's why I am selling mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathon Neff
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so the first scenario has 4 different layouts, 6 with expansions.
2nd has just one layout.
3rd has two if you have the old stuff.
4th has one.

Monsters change frequently if you have the first edition stuff.

I had to play through the first scenario all 6 times before seeing a repeat. It's randomly chosen, so bad luck I guess?

The replayability in this game I think is more attached to what you put into it. I have a blast each time I play the game with new people, and on my own, I randomize investigators to see if the combination I get can get through the scenario. Yeah, the story is the same once you play it out, after that it's all about optimization. Sometimes we sit down and just play the game as if we were our investigators, and what they'd do according to their personality and jobs.

1st scenario-8 plays
2nd scenario- 4 plays
3rd scenario- 3 plays
4th scenario- 1 play

I've still yet to beat 2-4. replaying one is just easy because it's a quick one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the first scenario, there are 2 ways to get to the final location, and at least two different sets of things that can happen when you get there. I imagine that there is at least a third ending if you take too long and never get that far.

For the route:
1. You can find the brass key (whether you talk to the butler or not - in my first play he was killed because we didn't investigate the noise in time!).
2. You can activate an electric override for the lock. (There's a way to find out about this or you can just discover this by accident.)

And the ending:
1. You can get to the ritual before it completes and need to prevent its completion.
2. You can arrive later and need to undo it.

And there are also different sequences of Mythos events that will change the way things play out.

Like a video game, it's worth trying different paths and options to see what happens - don't just repeat the same decisions and actions every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

Am I missing something?

That's weird, I have yet to see that layout, and we play the PC version...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Weisberg
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tapped through a lot of plays of the first scenario, trying to figure out if the way I read one of the attack text for hunting horror was correct (I'm pretty sure it wasn't but it wouldn't have mattered in the end, just that one person would have survived, but we won anyway since I dodged a cultist and got outta there.

Anyway, just noticing the layout and some of the search items, nothing really changes between plays of the same scenario, once you know where to go for one, you're pretty much set. At least there's 3 more scenarios, and I don't know how different those are. Minor things changed, like whether certain events go off or not, but nothing really changes. Slightly disappointing, but the addition of more scenarios, which I know is coming, would pretty much fix that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Lurcook
United States
Kingsport
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people are saying that if you have 1E and it mixes it, its not as bad. I wish FF would release just that stuff for like $30, so I dont have to buy a $100 obsolete game to fix there new one

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
WolfVonhinslik wrote:
Some people are saying that if you have 1E and it mixes it, its not as bad. I wish FF would release just that stuff for like $30, so I dont have to buy a $100 obsolete game to fix there new one

Soon

FFG is releasing two expansions that cover the content from 1e and two 1e expansions. Here's a link so you can read more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Mccrotch
msg tools
The extra components don't "fix" anything, they just St add more than less and monsters to choose from. Cosmetic changes only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
To be honest the replayability of each scenario is limited.

Yes some items might be in different places. Yes the layout might be kind of differen. Yes you might encounter different monster. Those are of course nice touches but generally the plot and main objective are always the same. So if you know the story and manage to complete the scenario, there is no incentive to try it again.

Having said that, I believe this is fantastic game and experience. But it is very similar to Time Stories, when you beat a scenario, you feel that you are done with it and you simply want to play another one.

There are 4 scenarios in the base game. It is highly probable that you will complete first and the last during 1 playghtrought. Second and thrid will probably take 2 or 3 tries before you beat them. In total I expect that equals to about 15-20 hours of fun for average gaming group. Not great considering the price tag. But I believe that experience is unique enought to be worth such expense!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Tuijp
Netherlands
Volendam
Noord-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

FFG is releasing two expansions that cover the content from 1e and two 1e expansions. Here's a link so you can read more.

Still gone cost you $100. With the added disadvantage that these expansions are not playable without the app. Which has only two scenario's that will use their content. So each expansion will be useful for three scenarios only (two from MoM2E and one with the expansion).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Love
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Jan Tuijp wrote:
Mistermannindy wrote:
WolfVonhinslik wrote:

Still gone cost you $100. With the added disadvantage that these expansions are not playable without the app. Which has only two scenario's that will use their content. So each expansion will be useful for three scenarios only (two from MoM2E and one with the expansion).

So far - the fact they're releasing them at all suggests they'll be using those tiles and monsters more in future scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.