Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I'm late to the party. One of my favorite style of games is 2 player strategy and especially area control type games. I love Twilight Struggle, 13 days, Tiny Epic Kingdoms, 8 Minute Empire, Sun Tzu, etc.

I read a recent thread where someone had suggested 2 de Mayo. Never heard of it. But with 1.7K ratings with a solid 7.0 I owed it to myself to check this little game out. The 30 min playtime is a sweet spot for me (I love 13 Days for this reason too).

As is often the case with a game over 5 years old that isn't made by a huge publisher, 2 de Mayo was a bit hard to locate. I ended up getting a good deal for 2 de Mayo and the expansion.

The base game is the original Gen X edition.

Now I have read the great thread describing the differences between the Gen X edition and the Gryphon Games edition. I was going to try to get the Gryphon Games edition because I liked the idea of the starting cubes printed on the game board and the more prominent English text. However, the game I received it literally unplayed and frankly the components look great to me. I like the standard card size as opposed to larger cards too.

I noticed the Gryphon Games edition seems to have slight changes to the text on some of the cards. Such as Ruiz which has more strict requirements for it to be played. If I remember right this is how the designer actually wants the card to be played.

So now I was going to get the Gryphon Games edition just for the set of cards. However, the Assault on Palace Grimaldi expansion comes with a second set of base cards. These cards seem to have the changes/errata on the cards already.

So my question is, can the Palace/Grimaldi base cards be used without any of the expansion cards? Are they in any way augmented from the base game? Can't see why they would include a second set of base game cards unless that cards were changed. That or maybe they new the cards were a different size from the Gen X base cards and wanted to make the expansion compatible with either edition simply because all the cards are included in the expansion.

Hope this question reads right. It's way past my bed time. lol Can not wait to play this game. Looks amazing. How could I have missed this game all these years?

lastly, any other games similar to this that maybe flew in under my radar?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea about your main question about the cards in the expansion.

FWIW:
Maddest Hatter wrote:

If it turns out that you enjoy the "simultaneously write very simple orders" paradigm, then another (older) game to check out might be the classic simple block wargame Quebec 1759 (playable in less than an hour, even simpler order writing, perhaps slightly more complicated rules overall, but no cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

FWIW:
Maddest Hatter wrote:

If it turns out that you enjoy the "simultaneously write very simple orders" paradigm, then another (older) game to check out might be the classic simple block wargame Quebec 1759 (playable in less than an hour, even simpler order writing, perhaps slightly more complicated rules overall, but no cards).

Well dang, fantastic recommendation! Never heard of it, but looks like a game I'd love to play. Now to find a copy. Thanks for the head's up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmb
Yes, the Palace/Grimaldi reprinted base cards can be used without including the expansion cards. The base cards were reprinted along with the expansion cards to provide a good physical match between both base and expansion sets. Since the card size and paper quality of the expansion differs from the original printing, this was the best method to ensure cards were uniform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vita Est Certamine
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Kilroy was here
mbmbmbmbmb
leemc13 wrote:
Yes, the Palace/Grimaldi reprinted base cards can be used without including the expansion cards. The base cards were reprinted along with the expansion cards to provide a good physical match between both base and expansion sets. Since the card size and paper quality of the expansion differs from the original printing, this was the best method to ensure cards were uniform.

Thank you for the answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.