Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Eclipse but don't personally own a copy - I usually play it at a friend's house. However, if there was a Big Box with the expansions and promos I would be all over it! I am sure I am not the only one. I don't know what the chances of it happening are, but perhaps this thread could gauge interest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own everything eclipse, but I could see a big box being awesome. One with a custom layered insert. It wouldn't be cheap, assuming £60 for base and £20 for each expansion ( inc a ship pack 2) and all promo stuff, I could see it being around £150 .

Totally worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stat
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wilts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Especially if it came with Scythe-style recessed player boards. Just dreaming now....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really doubt there's market for such thing, unless such edition would be significantly pimped out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mb
one friend of mine got one of those :

http://e-raptor.pl/en_US/p/e-Raptor-Trading-Card-Storage-Ult...

but I personally like the original boxes ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zippadeedoodah
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could come with the e-Raptor player board organizers, of which I have a set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliblish wrote:
I love Eclipse but don't personally own a copy - I usually play it at a friend's house. However, if there was a Big Box with the expansions and promos I would be all over it! I am sure I am not the only one. I don't know what the chances of it happening are, but perhaps this thread could gauge interest?

I guess I don't really understand what the difference between the game as it currently exists (i.e. a base set, a few substantial expansions, a few promo bits) and a Big Box release is. Such that it would make buying the game happen more than it does now.

I mean, like, I can certainly see a want to have the promo bits get re-released or something. But that seems like a thing that could happen without making a giant 200+ $/E/GBP release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Schaefer
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your meaning quite clearly, but looking at my regular Eclipse box, I hope you'll forgive a slight chuckle at the notion of a "big box" Eclipse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:

I guess I don't really understand what the difference between the game as it currently exists (i.e. a base set, a few substantial expansions, a few promo bits) and a Big Box release is. Such that it would make buying the game happen more than it does now.

Storage space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian H
United States
Anacortes
Washington
flag msg tools
Mess with the best, die like the rest.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just take an Eclipse large box with all the promos and an organizer built-in...doesn't need to have the game or expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
Storage space.

Huh. That's weird. Do people really buy games based on the storage space it provides? Like, yeah, Eclipse and all of it's expansions don't fit in a single box. So I went out, spent, like, 10 bucks on a couple plastic bits boxes, and now my whole expanded set fits into the original box and then the two storage cases (one holds all the ship parts organized, the other holds all the other random counters and stuff). Like, is having an "official" box that holds things something that people want to the point that they'd pay extra money for it?

I mean, like, maybe it is. I dunno. But that seems bizarre to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have to look far on BGG to see that there are a lot of people in the hobby who are happy to pay a premium for special editions and storage solutions. I don't find it bizarre, personally. In fact, I'd hate having most of the game in the official box and some of the components in separate plastic boxes, but each to their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MavericK96 wrote:
I would just take an Eclipse large box with all the promos and an organizer built-in...doesn't need to have the game or expansions.

Yes, even if there isn't scope for the full Big Box treatment, I'd love to see all the promos gathered in one collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D James
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
Glos
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I really doubt there's market for such thing, unless such edition would be significantly pimped out.

Plenty of other games that it seems to have worked well for. Galaxy Trucker, Kingdom Builder, Dominion, and Escape off the top of my head.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These aren't even half the complexity of Eclipse and way more family oriented. The target audience is just smaller. If it did make sense, we would have ship pack 2 long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliblish wrote:
I don't think you have to look far on BGG to see that there are a lot of people in the hobby who are happy to pay a premium for special editions and storage solutions. I don't find it bizarre, personally. In fact, I'd hate having most of the game in the official box and some of the components in separate plastic boxes, but each to their own.

Huh. Well, ok then. Like, I imagine that a lot of the strategy game market is already built on the "let's go out and find boxes to fit all this stuff in, as it doesn't fit well in the original box, and to organize it all" (see: games with lots of counters or miniatures or armies or whatever), and to folks who already have the infrastructure built for that, a special official box designed just to fit the game seems weird. But, well, people like different things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oliblish wrote:
Yes, even if there isn't scope for the full Big Box treatment, I'd love to see all the promos gathered in one collection.

That seems easy enough to put together, but the problem is, I'd imagine:

A) Promos happen in limited runs, and when they run out, they run out.

B) Reprinting them all and putting them in a box as a set would only sell to a fraction of the audience (as, well, a lot of the audience already has most of the promos).

C) If they did make a "here are all the old promos" set, and then they released more promos, they'd have to do it again.

I'm pretty sure they have released promos more than once. Maybe they'll do it again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
Wabamun
Alberta
flag msg tools
I love the BIG box idea, I can see it now... 10, 20 years from now a very large Eclipse box slowly being lowered into the ground, my hands folded over my chest clutching a green terran ship. Yep, me and my only "10" game together for ever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those missing the promos, I have all but the latest black hole and while they are nice, I definitely do not miss them when they don't appear. I'm not really a fan of the supernova. The nebula is cute but doesn't quite convey the feeling of hiding in a gas cloud. The pulsar is nice for experienced players but enough additional rules that its totally not recommended for beginning players. I could do without it as well.

Just to preempt the inevitable "I'll take yours". Eclipse is one of the few games I basically have everything of (blackhole yet to reach the BGG store). So its nice to have one "complete" game as I simply don't have the funds to be the collect everything person.

Just rest assured the promos are fine to get, but aren't good enough to be must includes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the base game, and a game with all the expansion content, I think I would only ever consider buying a complete or near-complete set or nothing at all.

A big box release with new art to replace those awful portraits in the base game would be an easy purchase for me. The graphic design is excellent, aside from the significant oversight of not printing any energy cost indicators on the tech cards, but the art... damn, how did that ever get printed?

A friend of mine said that Eclipse is the game with the biggest difference in quality between the game itself and the art in it, and I'm inclined to agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
live4fun long and prosper
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork of the different species. But it is the only artwork worth mentioning and you bury it under your turn card...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the art of Eclipse, portraits too. It's ... austere, but it has its own flavor that perfectly matches the space theme. If you look at EVE Online pilot portraits, they're quite similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.