$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.1% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Roger Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have reworked the matrix ,there is no re-seeding of the matrix as such, instead the ten order cubes go into a pool in the previously utilized "used box" players now have complete choice in the orders they choose paying only the initiative value for the appropriate order.Once all ten order cubes are used the turn ends and the cubes are placed back in the pile in what was the "used box" ready for the next turn. The assault order is changed to allow the player the choice between assault, move, or just fire with the addition that infantry as well as armour can now move into melee when an assault order is played.The sniper order has been replaced with the Night move or Winter move order which incur no penalty when utilized as opposed to the move and assault orders which now incur a MP penalty per hex if night and or winter is invoked in the scenario.And units can now be eliminated if the attack value is double the defense value, also when a platoon is eliminated the original hit marker carries over to one replacement squad and a new one is drawn for the second squad.

I love the game in the original form but we decided to change up a few things, I liked the ability for an order to cost initiative dependent on the nationality of the player and have changed the way the matrix operates the cost is now the cost of the order whatever you decide, essentially paying an initiative cost depending on the complexity of an order.... almost like reality. So basically placing an order cube onto the matrix and paying the appropriate initiative for the order of your choice as opposed seeding the matrix and taking a cube from it.

Orders
the player with the Initiative is allowed to place one order cube from the "Order Cubes" box on the Matrix so as to perform a specific order [30]. This order will be the one listed next to the box from where the cube is placed.To give an order, a player performs the following sequence:
Remove any one order cube from the avalible Orders Box. Move the Initiative marker a number of spaces towards his opponent equal to the number in the box from where the cube is placed.Choose to perform the order listed directly to the left/right of the box from where the cube is placed – depending on the nationality being commanded by that player.

Unit Elimination
When a platoon is eliminated, it is replaced in its hex with two squads of the same name (and both with the same fire arc, if applicable). The owning player places the hit marker that was on the platoon onto one of the replacement squads then draws a new hit marker for the second squad. Replacement squads themselves are never affected by the same attack that hit their parent platoon. If there was a Spent marker on the platoon, place a Spent marker on both resulting squads.When a squad is eliminated, place it back into the countermix. Place its hit marker back into the draw cup.If the Defense Total is less than the Attack Total, the unit is hit. If the firer’s Attack Total is at least double a targeted unit’s Defense Total,that unit is eliminated.

Sighting Markers
My idea is that if a sighting marker takes a hit and it is enough to reveal a hidden unit then that hit is now the attack value on the hidden unit when it is revealed. Sighting markers represent possible locations of hidden units and/or fortifications.If the reverse side is "Hidden” then it was hiding one or more units (possibly inside a beneficial fortification, such as entrenchments or a pillbox) which are immediately set up in that hex and if hit by a fire attack or barage; attack the hidding unit or fortification with the same attack score which revealed it.

Assault
This is a version from the orignal copy of the rules before the game was published.My theory being that all units can move or fire or move and fire...just at an extra cost to initiative. When this order is given, the player activates one or more friendly units [30.1]. Each activated unit can be activated either as a Move order [35], as a Fire order [34],or activated as an Assault order. When activated for an Assualt order the unit expends MPs exactly as if they were activated for a Move order [35], with two exceptions:
Units activated for Assault have their printed Speed halved, and
thus only have half as many MPs to spend. An assaulting unit may spend 1 MP to make a fire attack [34]. This MP expenditure may only be made once by each activated unit, but may be done before, during, after, or instead of that unit spending its other available MPs to move. Assaulting units suffer -1D when direct firing (that is, they are not in melee). Note that this shot is a MP expenditure so the opponent is allowed multiple Op Fires in reaction to it [35.6], not a lone Return Fire [34.3]. So an infantry unit with a printed speed of 6 could traverse six open ground hexes; or traverse three open ground hexes into melee; or traverse 2 open ground hexes then fire; or enter 1 open
ground hex, fire, then enter another open ground hex; etc. In other words, during an Assault order, each activated unit may:
Just move [35] or
assualt move[32.1.1]; or
Fire then assault move; or
Assault move then fire then continue assault moving; or
Assault move then fire; or
Just fire[34].

Night/Winter Move Order
This replaces the sniper order on the matrix. When this order is given, the player activates one or more friendly units. Units that are activated to Night or Winter Move are activated exactly as if it was a move order[35.]– they can move from hex to hex across the map, expending MPs in each new hex they enter but without paying an additional move cost for night and or winter conditions. Activated units are subject to all rules applicable relating to the move order [35.1-35.64].

try it out your thoughts are appreciated.

I have uploaded a file
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holman
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pardon me if I'm missing something, but I think eliminating the "sniper" order in night or winter takes the name too literally.

From the rulebook: "Despite its chosen title, the Sniper order/Sniper
Activity represents much more than just a patient man with a scoped
rifle taking head shots. This mechanism can also abstractly represent
the increasing friction inherent at every battlefield, or non-specific
occurrences such as friendly fire, growing panic, loss of a runner, a
cut phone line, despair, fatigue, ammunition shortage, etc."

So the effect of removing the "sniper" order is to make the game more orderly and less chaotic at night or in winter weather, which seems counter-intuitive. The addition of a "night/winter move" just adds to the players' control under circumstances where they should have less.

Plus, the elimination of the sniper order means that sniper activity stays on one side all game, doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Putting all the cubes in a pool is a great idea, I'll have to try that next time I get this on the table.

The thing I didn't like in the existing version is the ordering of the cubes up the tree tended to force me to pick cubes up the tree to preserve initiative. I'd have to test this method out to see if it makes choosing orders a bit more organic or not, but on first blush I think I'll enjoy this.

How have you found that change to impact your play vs. the original rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your perfectly right, however We just didn't like the sniper rule that much and neither of us use it when we play, And IMHO friction is amazingly created by the use matrix itself and the natural friction generated by differing initiative costs and the differences of the nationalities are the games strength, and if you use the random events per turn so I though I needed something to replace it (sniper order) with on the matrix.Well I didn't have to replace it I could have just not used it, so had a brainwave re. night and winter noting that if one was to generalize the soviets were better at night and in the snow so pay less for moving than the Germans in regards to imitative, but at the same time giving a penalty to normal movement if the scenario dictated night or winter. Which I though was an elegant solution.

And by replaced I mean it is removed totally from the rules, being it sits on the matrix where the sniper order sat. But is only used if it is a night and/or winter scenario.
So you get a choice..... a higher initiative hit but being able to maneuver as per normal or minimal initiative expenditure but penalized when physically moving a unit.

Night move/winter move is just used exactly as a move order but only but without any snow or darkness penalties (which is another house rule ie. plus one movement point if dark and plus one movement point if snow per hex if the scenario is winter or night time or both). which makes moving or assaulting expensive which I think models historically the situation of movement and fire and maneuver in the snow/cold and dark.

But hey it is a house rule
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm biased, we like it; and for me it really differentiates the soviets choices from the German in regards to paying differing imitative cost throughout the game. Because once you reseed for me and IMHO that the value of the order chosen revolves around where that cube was reseeded on the matrix as opposed to the initiative "hit" for the complexity of the order you want.

eg for starting turns were the matrix seams to be seeded to "shape the battle" it flows nicely no doubt to the intent of the scenario designer however once reseeded it to the whim of fate how much a "move order will cost either German or soviet and to me the difference in nationally faded and it becomes more luck based.

So granted it is not as random but.... I like the idea that the command and control of executing an order is modeled pretty well with this matrix system throughout the entire game.

For me the matrix and differing order costs is an amazing invention in game terms so just developed a great idea to suit what i think is a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Dano
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes I totally agree the different values is a fantastic idea, but I never felt it really working past the first runthrough of the tree, I like the sound of your solution bringing that out more.

Will try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulWRoberts wrote:
Pardon me if I'm missing something, but I think eliminating the "sniper" order in night or winter takes the name too literally.

From the rulebook: "Despite its chosen title, the Sniper order/Sniper
Activity represents much more than just a patient man with a scoped
rifle taking head shots. This mechanism can also abstractly represent
the increasing friction inherent at every battlefield, or non-specific
occurrences such as friendly fire, growing panic, loss of a runner, a
cut phone line, despair, fatigue, ammunition shortage, etc."

So the effect of removing the "sniper" order is to make the game more orderly and less chaotic at night or in winter weather, which seems counter-intuitive. The addition of a "night/winter move" just adds to the players' control under circumstances where they should have less.

Plus, the elimination of the sniper order means that sniper activity stays on one side all game, doesn't it?

Your perfectly right it does represent more than a sniper more like degradation of your command and control, however We just didn't like the sniper rule that much and neither of us used it when we played. I suppose we though it was potentially too powerful in our opinion ie dropping your command radius by 1 if successful for the entire game and the opportunity each turn to do it again.

I could however use a random event eg. command confusion to have the same effect as the "sniper" order but only for the duration of that turn only and penalizing the player without the initiative.

The sniper activity is removed altogether therefore stays on no side.

As for night and winter, I have made a movement penalty for moving in snow and or at night if one chooses to play a move or assault order which tends to makes movement slow therefore less reactive thereby potentially being chaotic in your lack of ability to move as fast and respond. However if one chooses to "pay" extra initiative you may move as per normal and IMHO the cost is balanced quite nicely in regards to the Germans not being so good at night or in the snow (a generalization I know)but you pay for it in the initiative hit ie it costs the German 7 as opposed to 3 now to move normally this will lead to friction of its own I think.

So I don't think it makes it less chaotic just a different form of it potentially being OODA looped by your opponent due to one side chewing up the initiative.... which one might argue that the Soviets did quite successfully during the winter and the Germans during the summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bishop
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anybody is interested I have these house rules properly inserted into a modified rule book. PM if your interested
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.