9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: RTL rule question about monster skills rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
O P
msg tools
Hey guys,

I got a quick question about monster special skills in RTL.

So far, me and my friend played it like the monsters have no special skills unless specifically written in the "info" panel in the app or there's a special rule that round that give it to them.

For example: Shadow Dragons have the ability "Shadow", which says: "A hero adjacent to this monster that declares an attack must spend 1 Surge or the attack is considered a miss."

However, this info is nowhere in the app, except for rare cases that it shows up as a special ability that round. Since we figured that if it shows as a special ability, it isn't ALWAYS "up", we decided not to give the monsters any special abilities unless specifically written.

The problem started when we recently added a H&M expansion which adds the "Ogre" monster. This monster has an ability that says: "Fleshmonger: Each time a hero whose hero token is not on this card suffers 1 or more "heart" from an attack performed by this monster, place 1 of his hero tokens on this card. For each hero token on this card, this monster applies +2 to its health. When this monster is defeated, discard all hero tokens from this card."

We ignored this ability like we usually do, but in our last game, the special rule for Ogres in that round was that they heal 3 health for each hero token on that monster (which obviously can't happen if we don't use the ability).

This really confused us since we either played it all wrong until now and made it much easier for ourselves, or the app is very inconsistent with when a monster should or shouldn't have a special ability.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Parparian
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They always have their abilities if they are mentioned in the monster turn it is because they are tweaking the power that round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
The app has changes to existing rules, but otherwise follows all normal procedures. Monster abilities not marked with (Surge) or an Action arrow icon are always in effect. For your personal play you can ignore them but they are intended for their standard use.

When the app mentioned the Shadow ability, what did it say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
Hmm, I see.

I guess we played it wrong then :/

IIRC, the app just quoted the text from the Shadow ability. However maybe it had some change to it and we didn't notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
If it comes up again, post here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O P
msg tools
Will do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GreatOldOne wrote:
Hmm, I see.

I guess we played it wrong then :/

IIRC, the app just quoted the text from the Shadow ability. However maybe it had some change to it and we didn't notice.

Shadow is an ability that only takes place on HERO activations though. There's no way that a monster activation would have a buff to it since it's super unlikely a monster is getting attacked during their own activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rotter
Germany
flag msg tools
I am pretty sure he talks about shadow breath. And the special is that also the minor dragon gets the ability to use it this round

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Rotter
Germany
flag msg tools
Yes, you played it wrong. In RtL the monsters are still capable using their normal skills. If a monster is active you can click on the top icon, I think it's a skull to see the order priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.