Subject: Please cease the false ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm really excited about this game, but it saddens me to see that it has a rating of 9.4 from 52 ratings, without it being released and most of the people who rate it list it as a pre-order/buy/wish list.

To rate Arkham horror prior to playing (and its release) does a misservice to the game and community.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is always like this for hyped games. People are just excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can't fix the internet, just mentally filter out the bogus ratings and read comments for real reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way BGG ratings work, 9.4 from 52 ratings means nothing. People are excited, some of them use BGG ratings to grade the games they are most interested in buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Ithaca
NY
flag msg tools
Vigilo Confido
badge
In the pipe, five by five...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also possible that people demoed the game at GenCon, then put it on their wishlist (like me).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that 52 people demoed this game already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game will release and it will all balance out. Just filter it out. Sometimes I rate games based on how excited I am to get it and play it. Then I go back and adjust it accordingly after I play it. In fact I was just going through my collection a week ago adjusting ratings on games that I've played even more since I last rated them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know you have noble intentions, but personally I find the profusion of threads complaining about ratings to be more deleterious to my overall BGG experience than the 'problem' ratings, which are very easy to ignore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we could get bgg to make a global 'complain about ratings' and 'this game is dead' sub forum and we can just all block it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a 9.7 for me at the moment, based on the "could play all the time" because, well, I haven't played it yet, and I sooooooo want to.
That can and probably will change when I have played it, so I'll adjust my opinion accordingly.

For reasons on why I rate the way I rate, and how I rate, and when, please check my bio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, note that the BGG algorithm ranks it at only 4,521--correctly calculating that the small number of ratings reflect an insular, unproven opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Null Field wrote:
Interociter wrote:
I know you have noble intentions, but personally I find the profusion of threads complaining about ratings to be more deleterious to my overall BGG experience than the 'problem' ratings, which are very easy to ignore.

I find that hard to believe. We can all ignore threads and ratings. No one makes a person click on a thread, read it and then comment on it.

Unless you're subscribed to the forum, then you keep seeing the dumb threads pop up in your notifications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Małecki
Poland
Oława
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about clicking on the "mark read" button instead of clicking on the dumb thread title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Browes
United Kingdom
London
Tooting
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
Null Field wrote:
Interociter wrote:

I find that hard to believe. We can all ignore threads and ratings. No one makes a person click on a thread, read it and then comment on it.

Unless you're subscribed to the forum, then you keep seeing the dumb threads pop up in your notifications.

Ironically I thought, like the OP, that drawing attention to the annoying thing might lead to change. Guess we both know better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Arnone
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rednar wrote:
How about clicking on the "mark read" button instead of clicking on the dumb thread title?

I still have to click "mark read" every time someone posts in it. Its not like I have to ignore it just once, but multiple times a day.

Interociter wrote:
InkSplat wrote:
Null Field wrote:
Interociter wrote:

Ironically I thought, like the OP, that drawing attention to the annoying thing might lead to change. Guess we both know better now.

Haha. You're not familiar with the Internet, are you? I'm not even much of a troll, and these threads even tempt ME to rate it a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Breese
msg tools
I find the whole rating thing rather dumb, anyway. Sure, I suppose it is useful in a metric to find the "best" games, but I've learned to take ratings with a grain of salt when shopping for a game.

If I want to buy a game, I don't look at its rating on BGG (because frankly, the BGG users have a bias), I tend to got to trusted reviewers and lets plays.

Then, I go the extra step and think about my group and if they will actually like playing it.

Then I buy it.

It is only after I buy it that I obsess over the ranking of it. I only want the Top 50 BGG in my collection. That way, I can brag to everyone that I only collect the very best games.

This is what the ranking system is really about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Universe
United States
flag msg tools
InkSplat wrote:
rednar wrote:

I still have to click "mark read" every time someone posts in it. Its not like I have to ignore it just once, but multiple times a day.

Interociter wrote:
InkSplat wrote:
Null Field wrote:
Interociter wrote:

Haha. You're not familiar with the Internet, are you? I'm not even much of a troll, and these threads even tempt ME to rate it a 10.

Some of us are super excited about this game! And other games! 10s are great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interociter wrote:

Totally agree. Shall we start a "Please stop with the "please stop the false ratings" thread"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:

We need a customizable filter that would screen out threads with words like "ratings", "ratings", "ratings", "which expansion do I buy", and "KickStarter". laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
InkSplat wrote:
rednar wrote:

You can either adjust your AH:TCG subscription so that replies are not automatically subscribed (just initial thread posts) -- or you can click the arrow next to the thread subscription to block this thread, eliminating further replies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
koraldon wrote:
I'm really excited about this game, but it saddens me to see that it has a rating of 9.4 from 52 ratings, without it being released and most of the people who rate it list it as a pre-order/buy/wish list.

To rate Arkham horror prior to playing (and its release) does a misservice to the game and community.

Thanks

Check your pulse.

If there is one, then you are OK.

Ratings mean nada.

Now, go live your life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.