7,770 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
49% of Goal | left

Support:

David Homchuck
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Could use some help with Thing in the Depths: I'm finding it a real challenge to get past even 1B "Take the Ship" with Captian Sahir and Na'Asiyah picking up resources at the end of each of each round. I have tried engaging them quickly but between nasty shadow cards and Sahir's damage I loose a hero from damage. Has anyone tried "turtling" them both until you have enough power to just engage and kill them quickly? I solo play and am trying it with Seastan's One Deck to Rule them all but taking a pounding on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any advantage to turtling. Without any spoilers, I would highly recommend getting to Stage 2 as fast as you possibly can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I should amend that advice. I never did beat this adventure by rushing through Stage 1A.

When I did, I ended up being unprepared for all the...putting the rest of this in a spoiler tag...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...enemies that Stage 3 requires you to beat.

Today, I beat it by taking my time and dealing with the immediate problems in Stage 1. In round one, two Umbar Raiders in the staging area meant I could not afford to travel to the Helm of the Stormcaller. Instead, I dealt with the Raiders as best I could. Round two, something else came up that needed my immediate attention (a location, I believe). So on and so forth, and I couldn't attend to the Helm until about round five, when I had the staging area was under control.

That meant the two corsair bosses had four tokens each, which worried me. However, I shouldn't have worried. Each boss can be de-tokened to some degree on the turn you engage them. Drop a small attack on the lady boss, and she'll lose two tokens total. Drop a big attack on the male boss, and he'll lose all his tokens. That's what I did. At the end of the round, they were the only corsairs in play, and they had a total of two tokens.

Between that, and the three Ethir Swordsmen I had in play on one of my decks, exploring the Helm and completing Stage 1 was a snap. This meant no more corsair enemies, and the bosses flipped to being allies. That is the key.

Further, the allies and gear I had accumulated on both decks over those four rounds made dealing with the tentacles pretty straightforward.

Just make sure you give the corsair bosses resource tokens every round. Travel to the location that gives them tokens right away, if you can. If you can handle it, you can travel to the location that makes you go through the deck and discards for an enemy. That will help you finish the game faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.