Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used the "Epic" card combination, (1 of each from the base and 1st expansion and 2 cards from Crossroads). The game went very fast, almost too fast. For my next play I am going to try a different approach. 2 cards from the base game and 1 each from both expansions. I also wonder why they gave so much extra gold, when the max used (4 people) is 16. The collumn additons do make the game more interesting. I am going to mark my cards (one dot for each expansion). I don't know why they don't it would only makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marking is good idea which for some reason I was too dim to consider, Thanks. And yes the publisher was even dimmer in the first place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've decided to print small stickers. 36 Gold dots and 48 Plus signs. The fun part was findng the best spot. Settled for on left of card under type. Obviously there is no reason to mark the Gold Mines. I am also going to start with everyone getting one Gold Mine which they have to place over one of the orignal Resource tiles on the board. Will post on how this plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary S Douglass
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played much better, but the bank card seems too powerful. One piece of gold=all three resources. That means 4 pieces of gold will get you the twenty point ship. Just ends the game too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vangelis Bagiartakis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm... Strange that you say this.

The Bank doesn't give you immediately anything. You have to "invest" by placing gold tokens on it. However, each gold placed there will net you 3 resources. If you compare it to Goldsmith, it's a "worse" payoff (in Goldsmith you give 1 Gold and get 4 resources in any combination - a much better deal). The benefit of the Bank though is that it will be able to get you all those resources at the same time. And yes, this allows you to go chase that 20VP Trade Ship. However, in order to do that you need to land on the Bank at least 5 times (4 to place the gold and 1 to take them back). Under normal circumstances that means 5 rounds, assuming that each round you land on both the Bank and at least 1 Goldmine. Considering that (statistically speaking) this won't happen 5 rounds in a row, but will take at least 6-7 rounds to pull off, it's not that powerful. Especially if you take into account that it will also take 2-3 rounds (perhaps more) to set everything up (building a Bank and some Goldmines, as well as some other locations that will help you land on them more reliably -ie a Tavern or a Town Hall).

What I personally like about the Bank is that it makes you play differently than normal. Instead of gathering resources and going for the small ships round after round, you aim for the big one right from the start. Keep in mind though that even than, on its own, won't be enough to win you the game, you will still have to do other things as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.