Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, I apologize for the following which are bound to be extremely naive questions for those of you who are grizzled veterans of this style of game.

I am looking at this game to simply play at home with my family. Thus far with things like X-Wing and Imperial Assault our purchase plan of just 1 of everything they put out has done us very well and provided many hours of fun. I am attempting to apply that same philosophy to this game and it raises some questions.

A. Would we need two starters for each side? Or would one each do if we were to buy a display case of boosters.

B. Speaking of boosters, if I were to purchase one display case of boosters, would I then have at minimum one of each card (Rare/Legendary) that provides dice? I know I will have dupes of the other things, but what I am trying to avoid is say a case of many Rey's, Fin's etc and miss out on say a Han or something. So for simplicity's sake: If I bought an unopened display case, would we, at minimum, own one of every card in this wave?

C. One of everything, for home/family play, will it be enough? We do not get super serious in our force building with the above, as I stated we just draft from what we have, play and have fun.

Thank you all for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Runnestrand
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
You should be reading this comic.
badge
I like nerdy stuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the wonderful world of CCGs!

A) You only need one starter for each side to play. To have a complete playset (2 of each card) you'll need two starters from each side. However, with a shared pool of cards for your family, "complete" is a bit of a misnomer, as really you'd need two of every card for each person.

B)You will not get every card in one booster box. I am going to copy and paste part of a speculative write-up I did about collecting this set on the FFG message board:

"The cost of a playset is going to come down to the Rares and Legendaries. There are 17 Legendaries, which makes a 34 card playset. You get (approximately) 6 Legendaries per booster box. Without buying singles, you'd need to buy 6 booster boxes (or Gravity Feeds or whatever we're calling them in this game) with minimal triplication to finish a playset. So a LOT of booster boxes are going to be opened as players and vendors alike try to get those Legendaries. This makes the commons/uncommons basically worthless as there will be so much excess that people will resort to blowing them out dirt cheap on eBay. For instance, there are 114 commons in a playset (57x2) and 108 commons in ONE box. Out of 6 boxes to get a Legendary playset, there is just going to be a ton of extras floating around.

There are 43 rares which makes for an 86 card playset."

You get a total of 36 dice (rare or Legendary) in a booster box. There are 60 total rares/Legendaries, so even if you get NO duplicates, you won't get a full set out of one box.

C) The good news is, for the type of gaming you're looking to do (non-serious, kitchen table play) you don't NEED everything. A booster box will give you enough cards/dice to make several decks, and you guys can have fun crashing them against one another. If you decide you like the game, and like certain cards enough that you know for sure you want more of them, you're better off heading to eBay to buy singles. Most singles will not be very expensive, and should make collecting this game fairly easy. Plus, there's always the fun of buying a couple packs during family trips to Target to see what you get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my experience, this style of game is not a good fit for kitchen-table gaming. The randomness of boosters means that some sides will just have better cards and the only thing you can do about it is to buy even more cards (whether as single cards or more boosters). I collected Star Wars Miniatures for a while and when I stopped buying new figures, I quickly discovered what the best squads were with my collection and the game got stale very fast.

However, that is just my experience. I know other people seem to make it work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen, thank you for your helpful responses. Things to consider for sure.

I do like the idea that one gravity feed will not get us everything, part of the joy in these things I would imagine is ripping open the packets to see what you get.

Garrett, I can also see your point. I think things might work for us with this kind of game if we apply the same approach as we do with X-Wing/Imperial Assault. We truly do not put any forethought into the meta and plan squads ahead of time, we just sit down and figure out what we want to try then and there. None of us spend time after the game thinking about what to run or change after the game is over.

Wonder if though as you say with this particular game what was best would become quickly obvious where as with X-Wing/IA (At least to us) a steamroller solution has not presented itself to us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:
From my experience, this style of game is not a good fit for kitchen-table gaming.

I find this precisely the opposite.

This is perfect for non-competition gaming as you won't have players spending hundreds of dollars vs your $20 investment. If you share your cards and invest equally, you will never be far out of balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing dicemasters with my little brother for some time now and our games have been fairly evenly matched for some time now. He has started winning more often lately since I let him construct his team first and he has fine tuned it into a winning machine over the last couple months and we stopped drafting. I don't mind the challenge though. (We also don't allow duplicate characters)

From this, I anticipate SW: Destiny to be even more of a balanced game. This is because there are two different sides right out of the box that ought to be balanced. Additionally, the options for deckbuilding open up the game to more customization than in dicemasters. I figure with a few boosters it won't be difficult to draft decks from a decent sized pool of cards. Especially since certain cards are Light Side only and Dark Side only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
justrick wrote:
Especially since certain cards are Light Side only and Dark Side only.

yeahhhhhh.... about that....

Finn:
You can include Red Villain Weapons and Vehicles in your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
justrick wrote:
Especially since certain cards are Light Side only and Dark Side only.

yeahhhhhh.... about that....

Finn:
You can include Red Villain Weapons and Vehicles in your deck.

Those are only certain support and upgrade cards though. And even then, if the support, upgrade, and event cards are balanced between LS and DS then it won't matter if you can have both in your deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.