$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 113.38

6,947 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
43.8% of Goal | left

Support:

Recommend
34 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: True Solo Play per FF rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone,
When I first heard about this game, I wanted to make sure it offered true solo playable rules...not a co-op type. Since I was getting some conflicting information about this aspect of the game (even a prominent board game retailer listed it as "2 players") I decided to contact Fantasy Flight".
I'm happy to say that FF responded "Arkham Horror: The Card Game can indeed be played with 1 player controlling only 1 investigator! Generally speaking the rules state that each player controls only a single deck, and the game can be played 1-2 players (or 1-4 players with two copies of the Core Set). So when you’re playing by yourself, you are only controlling one investigator."
That was certainly good news and I have pre-ordered myself a copy.

FWIW...thanks,
StephenJ
65 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing confirmation on this!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Craig
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pre-ordered mine as this will be a true solo experience.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad people that don't like playing multiple characters can play this how they like. But I'm curious why you have the preference? Is it more immersive thematically? Does it more invoke an rpg feel for you? Or do you think it makes it more challenging?

I'm a tactical fan myself, so in my view playing multiple characters increases the tactical decision space in most co-op games, and I like playing as many as I can fit on the table.

Just curious.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Paradice
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I'm glad people that don't like playing multiple characters can play this how they like. But I'm curious why you have the preference? Is it more immersive thematically? Does it more invoke an rpg feel for you? Or do you think it makes it more challenging?

I'm a tactical fan myself, so in my view playing multiple characters increases the tactical decision space in most co-op games, and I like playing as many as I can fit on the table.

Just curious.


Speaking for myself-less table space, less fiddly, streamlined rules, and less play time (my kids eat my game time).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akaan Qualrus
France
flag msg tools
The GenCon video and the article on the campaign mode state that if a character suffer to much damage or horror he or she is out of the game and will suffer physical or mental trauma for the next scenario in the campaign.

What if you play only one investigator ? You lose the scenario if your only investigator is out so you never get to suffer trauma ? Or does it mean you'll have to start again the same scenario with trauma ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big yes to sal paradice. As a married boardgamer, I wanna have fun in a meaningful most simple way. My kids are already as 'fiddly' as they are. Need lovecraft games that is fast, furious and easy to set and put away.

Now my enjoyment on this is Eldritch Horror. But I can only put it on the table after the little ones sleeps. Sometimes I have unfinished sessions due to late hour (work in the morning) when I played 4 investigators solo.

EH is already a game with fiddlyness toned down, but since the full meat is in four investigators, it can get fiddly. Tried one investigator but not enough to cover the distances on the world map.

That's why the news on this thread is actually a good news for me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradford Lounsberry
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Early last year I claimed a corner of the home office and put up a table for dedicated solo gaming. Really made games like Eldritch Horror and Mage Knight so much more enjoyable since I can leave them set up for as long as I want.

I know it isn't an option for everyone, but if it is then do it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes sense, thanks. I'm fortunate enough to have a small table out of the way where I can set up smaller card games and leave them up. The big daddy like the *other* Arkham Horror has to get played and packed up though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
I'm glad people that don't like playing multiple characters can play this how they like. But I'm curious why you have the preference? Is it more immersive thematically?

For many of us, the issue is primarily thematic immersion. I want to BE someone in a thematic game. If I'm controlling 2 or more individuals, than I'm not either of them, and I feel less invested. I think that's especially true with campaigns.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is great news since I play almost exclusively solo. I think I'm going to try this game now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
indy lim
msg tools
I didnt play LOTR LCG too much, but if I recall you could play solo (1 hand), but it made certain keyword irrelevant and I think it made some scenarios pretty difficult. I dont have a problem playing solo with 2 characters, but hopefully playing arkham with one character will be viable. I'm sure its a design/balancing nightmare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indylim wrote:
I didnt play LOTR LCG too much, but if I recall you could play solo (1 hand), but it made certain keyword irrelevant and I think it made some scenarios pretty difficult. I dont have a problem playing solo with 2 characters, but hopefully playing arkham with one character will be viable. I'm sure its a design/balancing nightmare.


I think the keyword was "Sentinel". But it doesn't break the game in my opinion. LOTR LCG is very manageable with 1 deck solo play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Matousek
United States
Perry Hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
I'm glad people that don't like playing multiple characters can play this how they like. But I'm curious why you have the preference? Is it more immersive thematically?

For many of us, the issue is primarily thematic immersion. I want to BE someone in a thematic game. If I'm controlling 2 or more individuals, than I'm not either of them, and I feel less invested. I think that's especially true with campaigns.

Kevin,
Well put. My thoughts exactly.
StephenJ
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm curious how viable it will be to play 1 investigator, in the sense that certain cards may become useless, possible synergies are lost, etcetera.

Some games, playing 1 is just impossible (like Descent Road to Legend) because scaling doesn't exist for 1 character. Some games, 1 is an option, but the game loses quite a bit.

Still, the answer seems to indicate that it's a viable option, I certainly hope so!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many elements (clues, Act advancement, etc.) vary based on number of investigators, so that should scale well.

Plus, deck building allows investigators to use two different classes plus neutral cards so you should be able to add cards to bolster areas where your investigator is naturally weak.

The newly announced deluxe expansion has 5 more investigators who can add 5 cards from ANY class, allowing us to add any level 0 card to a deck build, again helping to buff any area you need.

This game is probably the most friendly to one player, one character, one deck I've ever seen!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
Akaan Qualrus wrote:
The GenCon video and the article on the campaign mode state that if a character suffer to much damage or horror he or she is out of the game and will suffer physical or mental trauma for the next scenario in the campaign.

What if you play only one investigator ? You lose the scenario if your only investigator is out so you never get to suffer trauma ? Or does it mean you'll have to start again the same scenario with trauma ?


I don't think you can "lose" most scenarios, you just retreat injured and move onto the next scenario with the worst possible result.

I assume this different with the final scenario of a campaign though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cranky hobbit
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
jvdv wrote:

I'm curious how viable it will be to play 1 investigator, in the sense that certain cards may become useless, possible synergies are lost, etcetera.

Some games, playing 1 is just impossible (like Descent Road to Legend) because scaling doesn't exist for 1 character. Some games, 1 is an option, but the game loses quite a bit.

Still, the answer seems to indicate that it's a viable option, I certainly hope so!


I saw that there is a card in the announced deluxe expansion that benefits two or more investigators as you can trade for free in the same location. But I don't mind this as long as there's plenty of cards that can be used for pure solo play since you can create the deck you want for your character (of course abiding to class deck sizes etc).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cranky_hobbit wrote:
jvdv wrote:

I'm curious how viable it will be to play 1 investigator, in the sense that certain cards may become useless, possible synergies are lost, etcetera.

Some games, playing 1 is just impossible (like Descent Road to Legend) because scaling doesn't exist for 1 character. Some games, 1 is an option, but the game loses quite a bit.

Still, the answer seems to indicate that it's a viable option, I certainly hope so!


I saw that there is a card in the announced deluxe expansion that benefits two or more investigators as you can trade for free in the same location. But I don't mind this as long as there's plenty of cards that can be used for pure solo play since you can create the deck you want for your character (of course abiding to class deck sizes etc).


That card has the 'Teamwork' keyword, presumably the rulebook will have a similar section to the identically named keyword in Eldritch Horror, which says when using a single investigator, return all cards with the Teamwork trait to the game box. Presumably there won't be many such cards, and surely there's no way a player playing a single investigator would be forced to pick a card with that trait (even though the icon(s) could be played on tests) through lack of enough alternatives.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main concern is how they have balanced the difficulty. In LOTR there are scenarios that is considerably easier when playing solo, and there are those that is virtually impossible to do solo, just as there are those that becomes extremely hard the more players are added into the mix.

I know that the designers have all that LOTR knowledge to draw from when making this game, so it will probably not be an issue.

My only hope is that the game poses a serious challenge, the designers not getting cold feet and caters only to the absolute casual gamers like families with children. If the quests are a cakewalk, my group will pass on this since we are seeking a serious challenge. We do play LOTR on four players and love the nightmare mode quests.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihnea Cateanu
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mixx wrote:
My main concern is how they have balanced the difficulty. In LOTR there are scenarios that is considerably easier when playing solo, and there are those that is virtually impossible to do solo, just as there are those that becomes extremely hard the more players are added into the mix.

I know that the designers have all that LOTR knowledge to draw from when making this game, so it will probably not be an issue.

My only hope is that the game poses a serious challenge, the designers not getting cold feet and caters only to the absolute casual gamers like families with children. If the quests are a cakewalk, my group will pass on this since we are seeking a serious challenge. We do play LOTR on four players and love the nightmare mode quests.



From what I`ve seen about the game the chit-pulling system enables you to scale the difficulty any way you wish to (just replace some of the -1,-2 chits to -3,-4 or something). This system makes me particularly excited, I think it`s much cooler than just rolling dice and counting successes. With these chits having various symbols you can have all sorts of effects from cards and investigator abilities that interact in cool ways and you could (it seems) very finely tune the difficulty (up or down).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mihnea_1309 wrote:
Mixx wrote:
My main concern is how they have balanced the difficulty. In LOTR there are scenarios that is considerably easier when playing solo, and there are those that is virtually impossible to do solo, just as there are those that becomes extremely hard the more players are added into the mix.

I know that the designers have all that LOTR knowledge to draw from when making this game, so it will probably not be an issue.

My only hope is that the game poses a serious challenge, the designers not getting cold feet and caters only to the absolute casual gamers like families with children. If the quests are a cakewalk, my group will pass on this since we are seeking a serious challenge. We do play LOTR on four players and love the nightmare mode quests.



From what I`ve seen about the game the chit-pulling system enables you to scale the difficulty any way you wish to (just replace some of the -1,-2 chits to -3,-4 or something). This system makes me particularly excited, I think it`s much cooler than just rolling dice and counting successes. With these chits having various symbols you can have all sorts of effects from cards and investigator abilities that interact in cool ways and you could (it seems) very finely tune the difficulty (up or down).
Agreed: more adjustable than dice, more "open-ended" than dice and more customisable too. Sure, you don't get the stand-up dice roll, but I rarely do that in a solo/2P game anyway.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.