BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Community » BoardGameGeek Community

Subject: Looking for amazing game... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Naruto Sasuke
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hi I am new to this site I feel it is a good place to ask, what are some great games out there that I can get to play with my wife that will make her fall in love with theme based board games. We got descent and really like it but it is hard because its me against her and she is new to gaming so she kinda struggles and i have to help her along...so i am looking for a game that we can both play that is theme based fun and kinda like descent...any suggestions...
thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll get me popcorn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the forums

I can highly recommend Secrets of the Lost Tomb as a great, thematic game. It's a co-op, so it's you against the game and scales well from 1 to 6 players. It's got a good selection of scenarios all with different 1930's Indiana Jones-style themes.

Space Cadets: Away Missions if you fancy a 1950's style sci-fi co-op. It has a big book of scenarios so a lot of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
welcomeblankNaruto

So I'm going to interpret that as a dungeon crawler/ish Co-op:

Mice and Mystics (Fabulous story if you can get behind the Redwall thing.)

Legends of Andor

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (other options too in the same series)

Mansions of Madness: Second Edition (Note app required and cult of the new)
-

As an outside a quicker 1 v 1:
Claustrophobia

Someone will recommend:
Mage Knight Board Game (I'm going to pre-emptively advise against this, not because it's not a good game but because your lover may head for the hills.)

---

Wildcard

Get/play Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
There's no simple explanation for anything important any of us do, and yeah the human tragedy consists of the necessity of living with the consequences, under pressure, under pressure. -Courage (For Hugh Maclennan): The Tragically Hip
badge
We're forced to bed, but we're free to dream. -Gift Shop: The Tragically Hip
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, and welcome!

I would definitely second Pandemic. In it players work together, so it'd be perfect for you to ease her into gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and...

The link is to a list of games that my wife and I have enjoyed over the years. Some are strictly 2-player games, but many aren't. You can check it out and see if there are any that might appeal to you. We haven't played Descent, so I don't know if anything on the list is similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasty man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
have you tried the app for descent? it will make it so you and your wife can play together against the app
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd go for Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 over Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Richard Tuft
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:

Mage Knight Board Game (I'm going to pre-emptively advise against this, not because it's not a good game but because your lover may head for the hills.)

...Where she would immediately have to stop. Any ranged or close combat attacks against her, unless you are also on elevated terrain, would apply a +1 modifier to her defense, with ranged attacks also subject to hindering terrain. Be aware that she might attempt to break away if you move to close engagement. If she is in formation, (i.e. with the in-laws), things could could ugly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
Telemicus wrote:
have you tried the app for descent? it will make it so you and your wife can play together against the app

I second this. Get the app - it's free and the co-op play is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jowett
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmb
Favorites for my wife and I to play are:

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients - A great western horror dungeon crawler. Similar to Decent but fully cooperative.

Pandemic - fantastic game, never played with anyone who didn't like it.

Eldritch Horror - this is our favorite. A challenging coop which oozes theme. Each game crafts a new memorial experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Gustafsson
Sweden
Stenungsund
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Eldritch Horror

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.