GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 105.06

6,574 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
41.4% of Goal | left

Support:

Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
I am new to this game and have just quickly browsed the rule book and tried playing a few short sidequests with the RtL app so far, so forgive me if this question is silly:

What do the monsters know about the heroes whereabouts? I was in a position where monsters spawned three tiles/map pieces away, with corners and all kinds of things blocking the sight, yet the app told me to move the monsters towards the closest hero. I went "No way dude, they can't possibly know where I am since they could never see or, even hear, me from there in real life" so I didn't move them at all, being a rebel and standing up to the game cool

I'm guessing that they do know, and that I played it in the wrong way, but I still wanted to ask how it works.

Also, when playing with a person being the overlord, does the monsters behave in the same way as the answer to the former question?

Thanks. /N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly the monster is moving towards the nearest hero for another reason? It smells something funny? It heard an unusual sound emanating from the heros location? It takes a walk that way every day about the time the hero entered the space? I do enjoy making up crazy motivations for the monster!

In the overlord game, the overlord player is in it to win it. So that monster doesn't need any motivation at all.

Although I personally play rules as written, you're free to enjoy the game anyway you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remember the dungeons and dragons cartoon Venger had shadow deamon "a spy"

i assume the DM overlord. has them at his disposal..

or Lotr flies/bugs/Crows spies.

or Magic Scrying,, Magic mirror, Gladrieal mirror, magic orb / crystal ball etc..

Shamanic goblin visions! any number of things

or just a evil mist like presence in the area that can possess and command control any thing weak minded in the area

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicklas Lundkvist
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for the answers, guys.

Haha, I like the suggestions on how they can sense the heroes presence, I'll try to think like that the next time I play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fletcher Smith
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I'm jumping in late here but I'd say you played it right. From page 10 of the RtL manual:

LINE OF SIGHT
When selecting a target for an action that requires line of sight, do not select targets that are not in line of sight—they are ignored and a different target is chosen. For example, if an action instructs a monster to attack the closest hero, but the closest hero is not in line of sight, the target that should be selected would be the next closest hero who is in line of sight. If no target is in line of sight that meets the requirements of that action, skip it and continue down the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moving towards them in no way needs Line of Sight; that's just for attacks...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fletcher Smith
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narstrand wrote:
...yet the app told me to move the monsters towards the closest hero.

Meh, it's mostly a semantics argument but I would still say moving toward a hero requires line of sight and with no line of sight it wouldn't move:

MOVEMENT
Numerous game effects include some form of movement. When a figure is instructed to move, it always has a target in mind, which is the figure or space that it moves in relation to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, LoS is definitely not required for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.