Subject: Best two player decks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played 4 games so far (two of those being solo) so my sample size is quite small but I'm curious what kind of decks you see winning in two player games.

In my experience the winning deck has been the one that goes for promote and money early and then is able to branch out into whatever they want in the mid and late game.

I've tried rushdown decks but those don't seem to work. They start out doing well but then can't end the game fast enough. At that point the promote/money deck just has a really good deck and dominates on board and deck points.

What deck types are possible in the game? Should every one be going for promote and money early and what makes the difference in game is how you play on the board?

It's possible that the half decks chosen have an impact on which decks are more dominant.

So far I've played with:
Drow/Dragon
Dragon/Elemental
2x Drow/Elemental (the solo games)

So, what kind of decks do you see winning in two player games. Any thoughts on any of the above?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with a strong (I think you're calling it rushdown) strategy where you eliminate as many white units as possible. By that point you should be spread out enough and be able to end quickly.

For this, I think Drow/Demon work best.

And yes, the half-decks chosen ABSOLUTELY have an impact on the strategy you choose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
The biggest weakness of that rushdown strategy is you have limited ability to assassinate troops from actual opponents, and with the small 2p board the opponent can severely slow you down if they block off parts of the board to prevent you from placing all your troops, then beat you at the long game by going Ambition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
The biggest weakness of that rushdown strategy is you have limited ability to assassinate troops from actual opponents, and with the small 2p board the opponent can severely slow you down if they block off parts of the board to prevent you from placing all your troops, then beat you at the long game by going Ambition.

Yeah that has been my experience when trying to go for an agro/rushdown deck. What makes matters worse is the ambition deck is likely to draw into more money so when the really good expensive aggressive cards come up the ambition player has a greater chance of acquiring the card.

The PvE style deck mentioned by veector might be more likely to work then trying to kill the other players troops. Because in the Drow/Demon deck there some to be a lot of assassinate a white troop style of effects. Will have to give this one a try if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.