Hide
10 Posts

Old School Tactical» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cost of Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
When crossing a hedge it says cost is 1 + Cost of Terrain. What is the COT, cannot find this in the rules.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cost of Terrain means the cost of the terrain you are entering. So if you are entering a brush hex that costs two movement points to enter, then the total movement would be 3. 1 for the hedge +2 (COT) for the brush = 3. I'm not sure the actual cost to enter a brush hex off the top of my head, that was just an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
So for the hedge, it says 1 + COT. So it should cost 2. If that is true why have COT, why not just have the number 2 ????? Just asking.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Carlson
United States
Clarksville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The hedge adds one to the terrain you are entering. Not all terrain costs one to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
I realize that, but still begs the question, why not just put the correct number on the chart, as opposed to 2 + cost of terrain why would you not put 4 on the chart? Seems awkward and unnessacary.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:
I realize that, but still begs the question, why not just put the correct number on the chart, as opposed to 2 + cost of terrain why would you not put 4 on the chart? Seems awkward and unnessacary.

Patrick

Not when you see it in many games and are used to it.

If you're entering terrain you pay the terrain cost. If by doing so you cross a hedge or wall or fence or river on the hex side you add that to the cost. The chart listing every possible combination would be more confusing than the clear and simple way it's handled in this and other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vance Strickland
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think maybe something is being lost in the words....

See this picture:

Moving a foot unit from A to B costs 1 to cross the hedge + 1 more for the clear terrain you are moving into for a total of 2.

Moving a foot unit from B to A costs 1 to cross the hedge + 2 more for the light structure terrain you are moving into for a total of 3.

Moving a track unit from B to C costs 2 to cross the hedge + 2 more for the farm terrain you are moving into for a total of 4.

Moving a track unit from C to B costs 2 to cross the hedge + 1 more for the clear terrain you are moving into for a total of 3.

COT is the normal cost to enter the new hex you are trying to move into.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mooney
msg tools
Thanks for all the responses. I think it is just what you are used to. Have never run into it like that before. Am more familiar with Conflict of Heroes.

Patrick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
padraic49 wrote:
Thanks for all the responses. I think it is just what you are used to. Have never run into it like that before. Am more familiar with Conflict of Heroes.

Patrick

I believe CoH has the same thing.

Yep. Just checked the summary sheet and I'm correct. You add all relevant terrain costs, both hex and hexside. So OST isn't any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a great rift in the world of squad level gaming a few years ago. In the olden days hex side terrain was listed as +N where the N was the value added to the cost to enter the hex when moving across a hex side that had a terrain cost (like a wall, hedge or some such).

Then something happened. Not something wonderful. Something probably triggered by some rules lawyer type who could not handle the idea of simple math. The beside terrain cost started being listed as N+COT (that same poor N from the olden days plus the cost of the terrain in the hex being entered).

+N became N+COT. Mathematically, procedurally and grammatically IDENTICAL but one was so much easier to read. For some people. Took up less room on a TEC as well.

Baffling.whistle

Just look up the cost of the HEX to be entered then look up the cost of the HEXSIDE being crossed and add the two values together. Pay that cost to enter the hex (over the hex side feature) and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.