Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Squad creature vs Hero creature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
There are certain spells that will say "Squad Creature" without the squad creature symbol, like blue's Mind Control and white's Holy Lance spell (I think it's Holy Lance, might be from an expansion). Since it says Squad Creature and doesn't have the symbol, does it mean it only affects cards labeled "Squad Creature"?

It seems like Holy Lance is overpowered if it can be used on my hero creature... "destroy Squad Creature that was attacked this turn"

I couldn't find anything in the rulebook or only to clear this up. Any insight?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Squad creatures have more than one figure to them. Hero creatures are a bit more powerful and are only a single figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Right, that's my point, cards like Holy Lance which destroy a squad creature after it's been attacked is way too powerful if he can do one damage to my 7 life hero creature and then destroy it with a spell. After further reading I'm pretty sure if it says "Squad creature" without the little circular symbol it means the card has to say "Squad creature" on it, so the hero creature wouldn't be a valid target.

I just think it could have been clearer. And randomly they'll say "squad creature" but it'll include the little circular symbol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris L
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The symbol refers to whether the creature is unique or common, and has nothing to do with whether it's a squad or a hero. Currently everything is unique but presumably someday there will be common creatures. Since Mind Control doesn't specifically use the symbol, it means it applies to all squad creatures, common or unique. It cannot be used on hero creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP to be clear spells that say squad creature cannot be used against a hero
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Awesome, thank you. I appreciate the clarity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Related question that my opponent I was playing with asked. Is a hero considered a squad for purposes of Enchant Squad cards, or is it illegal to cast an Enchant Squad card on a hero? Based on the previous replies it sounds like you wouldn't be able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Targanth Phelandir
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The red card Senseless Rage specifically states that it enchants a Hero or Squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apex_phase wrote:
Related question that my opponent I was playing with asked. Is a hero considered a squad for purposes of Enchant Squad cards, or is it illegal to cast an Enchant Squad card on a hero? Based on the previous replies it sounds like you wouldn't be able to.

a hero is not part of a squad of 1, if it says enchant squad it can only be used on a squad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon B
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Good to know. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.