Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Pulles
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I rarely comment, I read though the responses to the BGG 'Geek of the Week' each and every week. I am amazed at some of the recent entries. Gaming has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years.

It's been 11 years since the first Geek of the Week was posted (I was the second in September 2005) and I am wondering if many of the early GotWs are still as active as I am.

Maybe it's time to see how the early Geeks have prospered over the past 10 years. How about a nostalgic look back at maybe the first 100 GotWs with some updates. Are they still active gamers? How has their life changed in the past 10 years? Have their tastes in gaming changed much? etc.

Do you think it's worth a look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be very interesting,

I've been active for over a decade and know how much things have changed around here.

Would be interested in hearing how they have changed and now they haven't.

Not sure you can do a weekly though, since some will not be around any more..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
10/₆
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"Sometimes, the dark side overcomes what Lincoln called the better angels of our nature"
mb
Hah! I am still here....to everyone's chagrin. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bishop of East Anglia
New Zealand
Lower Hutt, WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
I'm, I'm afraid there's been a mistake. The man who has been speaking to you is an impostor. He is not in fact the Bishop of East Anglia, but a man wanted by the police. I am the Bishop of East Anglia and anyone who doesn't believe me can look me up
badge
Think of me as the Bishop of East Anglia
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim_P wrote:
Even though I rarely comment, I read though the responses to the BGG 'Geek of the Week' each and every week. I am amazed at some of the recent entries. Gaming has changed a lot in the past 10-15 years.

It's been 11 years since the first Geek of the Week was posted (I was the second in September 2005) and I am wondering if many of the early GotWs are still as active as I am.

Maybe it's time to see how the early Geeks have prospered over the past 10 years. How about a nostalgic look back at maybe the first 100 GotWs with some updates. Are they still active gamers? How has their life changed in the past 10 years? Have their tastes in gaming changed much? etc.

Sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, why not? I was #205, so I don't qualify as super-early, but it feels like a long time ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim_P wrote:

If you extend that list to the first 101, then I would support this
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I am the only old timer around here that hasn't been GotW soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:

I'm sure there are others. It would be odd if the only criteria would be that they had been around for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make a great Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H C
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoundCity wrote:
It would make a great Geeklist

Ooh. I think this is a good idea. Make a Geeklist of GoTWs in order then add links to their first page and a link to their updates of the past 10 or other years.

Also...would anyone be interested in a game of the week like how R/boardgames does?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

I'm sure there are others. It would be odd if the only criteria would be that they had been around for a long time.

I think the (unofficial?) criteria used to be simply for the current GotW to pick:
-Someone they wanted to know more about
-Someone they didn't already know (IRL?)
-Someone from a different country

Has the last one been dropped? I think the last three GotW's have all been from the US.

Also does 9 years on BGG count as "old timer"? If so you're not alone Mike cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
matthean wrote:
Guantanamo wrote:

I think the (unofficial?) criteria used to be simply for the current GotW to pick:
-Someone they wanted to know more about
-Someone they didn't already know (IRL?)
-Someone from a different country

Has the last one been dropped? I think the last three GotW's have all been from the US.

Also does 9 years on BGG count as "old timer"? If so you're not alone Mike cool

The third one hasn't dropped, just gets ignored a lot.

Besides they are unofficial as you point out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.