Too Many Bones» Forums » General

Subject: Starting to feel like we're getting a deal? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jebstone Boppman
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I backed this it came in at a whopping $140 CAD (Got the adventure map extra). The most expensive game I had purchased up to that point had been just under $100 for Defenders of the Realm, and most "Big" games averaging $80 CAD, "normal" games going for the $55 price point, and "small" games hitting $30 CAD

Now I take a step back and look at the local market - $100 is pretty much what you've gotta be prepared to spend for any "normal" game after taxes/shipping. I got Mansions of Madness for $130, and the quality of the components leaves a lot to be desired. Tyrants of the Under dark is fetching near $80 CAD an from all I've read the cardstock is poor at best and has minimal pieces.

Now I take a look again at the components for TMB, and the quality, and I have to think to myself, if this was priced for the current market and I saw it show up at my FLGS, I would have to estimate it's going price at around $160-$180 depending on extras, well over $200 for the whole shebang.

I remember all the cries of foul about the price of this game during it's campaign, and now it's starting to feel like (to me) that I'm getting quite the deal based simply on component count and quality compared to the market of today.

How's your local market?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After attending the open house this weekend, I can attest to the effort and quality of even the prototype components. We got to see the character sheets made out of the near indestructible material, the neoprene mats, the adventure map(which I will be adding to my pledge now), the dice trays, models of the dice and holders, and the chips. All where above what I was expecting. Maybe it is because I have yet to purchase Hoplo, will be now, or maybe it's because what I've considered good in other games seems to be lower quality now, but I was very impressed with what I saw at the CTG office.

When considering all the dice, the mats, trays, cards, the value is well above games at similar price points. Not to mention the missions and thought put into each character and enemy, the value just keeps going up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent DePonte
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
CTG has been consistently putting out high quality games in terms of both components and actual game play since Hoplomachus.

I won't lie, I kind of blanched at the cost of the extra characters (even though I'm getting all three) but if that's what they cost then so be it, everything else they have done has been well worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went in whole hog as well with the 3 additional characters, but the updates, and what those who have seen the 'prototype materials', it seems it will be a good value and a good deal. Tons of dice will likely tip the balance...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you consider the amount of dice per character, the high quality neoprene character mat, then the development needed to make sure each character is balanced, I can completely see the value in each additional Gearloc. This game is going to be incredible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Hocks
Netherlands
flag msg tools
This was the First game i backed om KS. I Too found it pretty expensive but after reading the campaign I Fell in Love with the style and was really interrested in the gameplay. So I was in a Crazy mood and Made my first pledge ever, Just the Basic pledge though.
After More and More updates I kept updating my pledge More and More. As we speak I got my pledge updated with All additional gearlocks, the Adventure map and even the Liberation Logbook and I dont Have the feeling I payed too much for this wonderfull game! ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.