Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that The Chains That Rust is out, there's a huge number of new possible hero builds (since every hero now has access to a second archetype's classes).

I thought it would be fun to have a thread where we could post possible "epic" builds using the new hybrid classes and the "expert" level of the epic play variant:

Quote:
Each hero receives 6 experience points worth of Class cards
and 250 gold worth of Act I or Act II Shop Item cards.

I'll start with the most obvious one, because I've been eagerly anticipating his return:

Jaes the Exile
Battlemage (Skirmisher)

Skills:

Arcane Veteran (0 xp)
Planar Weapon (1 xp)
Runic Weave (2 xp)
Dual Strike (0 xp)
Keen Edge (1 xp)
Unrelenting (2 xp)

Items:

Soulstone (125 gold)
Sunstone (125 gold)

With Planar Weapon, the Soulstone and Sunstone become one-handed melee blades, which combines with Keen Edge to give all attacks Pierce 1.

When Jaes attacks, he can exhaust Dual Strike to gain an automatic surge and gain access to the surge abilities on both weapons. He can also exhaust Planar Weapon to gain another surge. After the attack resolves, he can exhaust Unrelenting to attack with the other rune.

Sure, to trigger everything requires 4 fatigue, but becauses Jaes gains +1 Stamina for each run he has equipped, he can afford it. And with +4 health provided by Runic Weave (+2/rune), he can stay in the fight long enough for Soulstone to gather a pile of tokens and become a deadly weapon.

And mostly, he just becomes awesome, charging into battle wielding two blazing swords of forged runelight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lindel
Monk (Spiritspeaker)

Skills:
Greater Calling (0 xp)
Inner Balance (1 xp)
Stoneskin (0 xp)
Healing Rain (0 xp)
Tempest (2 xp)
Nature's Bounty (2 xp)

Items:
Thief's Vest (100 gold)
Undying Skull (75 gold)
Belt of Waterwalking (50 gold)

This is pretty goofy, but bear with me.

Each turn, Lindel starts by declaring a rest action (exhausting Inner Balance for 1 fatigue, discarding a condition from a nearby ally, and boosting all his attributes by 1). Then he spends up to 3 fatigue to move up to 3 spaces (he has a stamina of 6, thanks to Undying Skull), and then declares Tempest (spending his remaining 2 fatigue).

With a willpower of 5 (thanks to Belt of Waterwalking and Inner Balance) and rolling two grey dice, he'll succeed 97% of the time, dealing 2 damage to every monster within 3 spaces and healing himself and all allies in 3 spaces of 1 damage.

Then--and here's the kicker--at the end of his turn he recovers all his fatigue and then regains up to 6 health (thanks to Nature's Bounty).

He's able to consistently discard a condition, move 3 spaces, deal area damage and regain 7 health, every turn.

And I threw in Thief's Vest because I though it would be fun if he could consistently succeed on 97% of his might and awareness tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grisman
England
flag msg tools
Can I ask if you can sell your starting equipment as normal in Epic Play? I thought you could, but the original post doesn't take advantage of the bonus 50 gold to buy something like the Phoenix Pendant.

If you can sell your starting equipment for the 25 gold per item, I like:

Ravaella Lightfoot
Class: Battlemage (Knight)

Skills
0XP - Arcane Veteran
0XP - Oath of Honour
1XP - Defend
1XP - Challenge
2XP - Defence Training
2XP - Runic Weave

Iron Longsword - (starting weapon)
Iron Shield - 50 gold (less 25 from selling Wooden Shield)
Ironbound Ring - 150 gold
Heavy Cloak - 75 gold

The result is a 10-health hero which rolls an average of ~4.8 defence, minimum 2, plus can add several shields against a specific attack (or reroll a blank black defence dice), plus remove 1 or 2 surges from an attack, plus has a heroic feat which can add up to *another* 6 shields to defence against a specific attack, and she can take the hits for any adjacent heroes too.
She's poor on offence (and Challenge probably won't help much), but makes a very good tank to absorb damage for the offensive heroes.

Just as long as an Ettin doesn't try throwing her around or something, of course. whistle

(If selling the starting equipment isn'tpossible I guess I'd skip the Iron Shield and stick with the wooden one.)

Edit: I realised I fouled up my maths on the average defence roll. Black+Brown with Ravaella's feat and the Iron-Bound Ring gives an average defence of 4, not 4.83. I was thinking of a Black plus Brown plus a guaranteed bonus 2 shields, not a conditional 2 shields. Long story.. but I'm still happy with the setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prinny_wizzard wrote:
Can I ask if you can sell your starting equipment as normal in Epic Play? I thought you could, but the original post doesn't take advantage of the bonus 50 gold to buy something like the Phoenix Pendant.

I think you can, but I wasn't sure and that 50 gold couldn't buy me what I really wanted (a Runic Weave), so I ignored it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.