Support:

Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing my first game of this as a solo effort and I think I haven't been doing it quite right...

Question one: In standard difficulty mode, are you supposed to fill up the dungeon at the end of every turn, regardless of whether you defeated a monster?

The solo rules say that when you beat a monster you get a respite and a new monster doesn't come out to push the others forward. I read that to mean no new monster came out to fill in the space left by the one I beat.

But that turned into a very easy game, giving me lots of time to go shopping any time I killed two monsters in a row.

So now I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be filling all the blank spaces anyway and the only respite I get is that one isn't pushed off every turn.

However, if this is right, it seems like the standard variant would be fairly hard and the difficult one almost impossible.

Question two: Can I use spoils effects after I collect the XP for a monster I kill? The order seems clear in the book, but the Thunderstone Shards have a spoils effect of collecting extra XP, so I wonder if the order is flexible. I ask because it matters whether I can upgrade a Strong Hero with the XP I just got from a monster he killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure about the solo question, seems right. But the versions seem to vary from one set to the next.

On the other question, yes, you can use XP earned to level up your Strong on the spot. Gaining XP takes place in step #7 (backpage), while Spoils comes in at step #8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:

On the other question, yes, you can use XP earned to level up your Strong on the spot. Gaining XP takes place in step #7 (backpage), while Spoils comes in at step #8.

Perfect, now I feel like a dummy for only reading the main book and not even looking at the back page summary!

Thanks for the reminder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
But that turned into a very easy game, giving me lots of time to go shopping any time I killed two monsters in a row.

So now I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be filling all the blank spaces anyway and the only respite I get is that one isn't pushed off every turn.

However, if this is right, it seems like the standard variant would be fairly hard and the difficult one almost impossible.

I wouldn't say "almost impossible", but yes, it can be difficult. The original solo rules were only the "difficult" version and some thought it was too hard. So, it seems in this version they made it a bit easier but the original idea was that a monster enters the hall every single turn regardless and you only get a respite from attacks on the village if you defeat a monster in the hall.

I think I would prefer too hard vs too easy which you experienced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:

I think I would prefer too hard vs too easy which you experienced.

I agree. I started over, using the same recommended first game setup, and when I finished, I was well beaten... 37 to 54. But it could have been worse, and I hopefully learned a couple lessons for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
It's a lot better if you add a monster every turn. This means you have to make meaningful decisions about whether to go to the village or not, because if you do (other than the first few turns), you're letting monsters through.

With solo, some combinations of cards make it much easier than others, so if you're selecting things randomly, you may want to allow yourself one or two changes per setup, where you take one of the decks and replace it with something else.

The nature of the game changes significantly when played solo, so remember that it's better to let a couple of lower point monsters through to spend time in the town, rather than letting a big point monster through. Obviously you do what you have to do, but preparing your hand to kill off an 8vp monster will give you a couple of turns to buy/level up your heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark Blasco's suggestion is best but there are a couple official variants of solo mode. The way Mark mentioned was the standard solo mode from the Towers of Ruin book. However, they introduced an easy solo in later editions which was based on the solo from pre-advance. In the easy solo the only difference is you don't fill the hall after defeating a monster. Both are valid solo games, you just need to choose and roll with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the great advice everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.