Subject: how would it work to do simultaneous turns work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who have played,, what if you had turn phases and everyone did the phases at the same time (until people were connected of course)?? It would dramatically cut time at the start of the game right?? Maybe in a six player game have people across the table from eachother going at the same time (so there would only be 2/6 players going at the same time)? Whatyu think?

I'm just trying to make it play a little quicker with large groups.. Mine is pre-ordered and I haven't played yet thx

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this is already suggested in the rules, for turn 1 only but normally you can do this even up to turn 3 safely.

though there might be instances that exploration cards suddenly connect you with another player's system, then the play order might be important.
so while you could definitely perform the build phase at the same time, sometimes the command phase cant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Godwin
msg tools
mbmb
This is only good to do until first contact is made, so maybe 1-2 rounds.

The build phase is your response to what other players are doing. It could royally screw over a player if they don't get to use this.

I've also thought about opposite sides of the table but it seems like you might need a moderator. Personally, I think we may end up doing 2 3-player games more often, but I will have to check with my group on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about secret simultaneous planning? Have a sheet (maybe an erasable laminated copy) where people write their planets and their buys. There can also be a space where people can place their payment for each buy. Has anyone tried this!

It's just that the "buy a ton of ships and beat up people before they can even build up" doesn't really make thematic sense. It seems to make more sense that factions would build up simultaneously, but that one faction would have an initiative advantage over other factions for movement.

Thoughts?

We are considering trying this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Angelsenior wrote:

though there might be instances that exploration cards suddenly connect you with another player's system, then the play order might be important.

This. One of my fellow players pulled the "Q" card on their first turn and put a ship near me. Simultaneous turns would really complicate a situation like that.

The down time really isn't bad at all. Rather than complicating things I simply provided my group with lots of nice Star Trek toys to play with if they ever got distracted. Worked like a charm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Angelsenior wrote:

This. One of my fellow players pulled the "Q" card on their first turn and put a ship near me. Simultaneous turns would really complicate a situation like that.

The down time really isn't bad at all. Rather than complicating things I simply provided my group with lots of nice Star Trek toys to play with if they ever got distracted. Worked like a charm.

I'm not talking about simultaneous play for the command phase...just a simultaneous plan and reveal for the building phase. I've only played twice, but IIRC there is really no time where your build phase could directly interact with someone else. Sure, there may be times that you end up building fleets on the wrong part of the galaxy because your enemy has built somewhere else, but so be it.

im not thinking of the time issue as much as the theme. You're going to be constantly building your faction. You wouldn't just be doing it to react AFTER you've already been attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonocop wrote:

I'm not talking about simultaneous play for the command phase...just a simultaneous plan and reveal for the building phase. I've only played twice, but IIRC there is really no time where your build phase could directly interact with someone else. Sure, there may be times that you end up building fleets on the wrong part of the galaxy because your enemy has built somewhere else, but so be it.

im not thinking of the time issue as much as the theme. You're going to be constantly building your faction. You wouldn't just be doing it to react AFTER you've already been attacked.

If everyone builds (secretly planning it first) simultaneously, but then each player in turn order gets to do all their commands, it gives a huge advantage to the player who goes first. The way it is now, I can see them build up a huge invasion fleet and start massing it, then I can build up my own defense fleet instead of colonizing and building up those planets on the far side of my sector. I think it will make a lot more difference than you realize.

The game recognizes that the order of building and taking actions is critical once you make first contact. It's the whole reason we bid for turn order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
jonocop wrote:

If everyone builds (secretly planning it first) simultaneously, but then each player in turn order gets to do all their commands, it gives a huge advantage to the player who goes first. The way it is now, I can see them build up a huge invasion fleet and start massing it, then I can build up my own defense fleet instead of colonizing and building up those planets on the far side of my sector. I think it will make a lot more difference than you realize.

The game recognizes that the order of building and taking actions is critical once you make first contact. It's the whole reason we bid for turn order.

I think that you're missing that the player with first initiative builds AND does commands before the second player goes. So by the time you see the fleet it has probably already crushed you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.