$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
44% of Goal | left

Support:

Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
Hi

Brought this game out first time since 1995 due to the kickstarter campaign and had a go. It works great to play with my 5 year old, it is after all a pretty simple game.

When it comes to campaign play I'm just curious how the point balance works out. Let's say we have 4 players playing a 3 mission campaign one night. if you even out who gets to play the Legion one player will still get to play Doomtrooper in all missions. This player will surely have a bigger chance of winning because as a legion player it is a lot harder to get points?

I'm suggesting that the same player plays Legion all night and that you kind of give the Legion player the win if he wins 2 out of 3 missions instead?

am I missing something here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
andy_b. wrote:
Hi
When it comes to campaign play I'm just curious how the point balance works out. Let's say we have 4 players playing a 3 mission campaign one night. if you even out who gets to play the Legion one player will still get to play Doomtrooper in all missions. This player will surely have a bigger chance of winning because as a legion player it is a lot harder to get points?
I'm suggesting that the same player plays Legion all night and that you kind of give the Legion player the win if he wins 2 out of 3 missions instead?

If you have the time in your game session, I'd suggest playing four missions. That way each player would get the chance to play the DL, and you wouldn't have any balance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
underling wrote:

If you have the time in your game session, I'd suggest playing four missions. That way each player would get the chance to play the DL, and you wouldn't have any balance issues.

Yes that works of course, still I wish they think of this for the Kickstarter reboot and try to fix it. I guess the main problem lies in the fact the game really only works as intended with 5 players. This means that to even the points out you'd need to play 5 missions. Or 10! And that's only for people (teenagers) with a lot of time on their hand

We'll see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Unionville
Virginia
flag msg tools
Time for some new overtext
badge
Something will come to mind
mbmbmbmbmb
The new version supports solitaire play so I think there is probably some sort of Legion AI included.

Even in the original the Legion forces are very easy to automate if you want. That way you and all of your players can all play troopers against the dummy legion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Jr
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
With my group, I ended up altering half the missions because they were broken. Definitely much better if you add some house rules. To me, the first mission is terrible. With 4 doomtrooper teams, the mission heavily favors the good guys. But with 1 doomtrooper team, it's near impossible to score 20 pts of kills as the good guys in order to win the mission.

One house rule I really liked was whoever is playing as the DL can spend credits to buy an extra unit equal to the unit's promotion point reward and then bring him in with the rest of the reinforcements for that turn. Another one I was kicking around was letting the DL play with their doomtrooper team in addition to the dark legion figures. It gives the DL a definite advantage, although losing a doomtrooper still costs a credit to that team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Beaumont
Mississippi
flag msg tools
You guys do remember the rules in the book for scaling it with less than a full party right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Jr
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yes, there were rules for having less than 4 teams, but even those were partially broken. When there were 1, 2, or 3 teams of doomtroopers, the DL player can call for reinforcements on 1, 2, or 3 event cards respectively. The DL player was crippled on longer missions with 3 teams of doomtroopers if you stuck to those rules; getting 6-7 waves of event reinforcements made a difference vs 3. The rule for force cards worked well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas W
Sweden
Årsta
flag msg tools
Yes, the rules for less doomtroopers are very broken, especially for certain missions. They need to look into those, and they probably know this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matti Jr
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
With the event cards, the last campaign I played with a couple friends, we agreed to pull reinforcements on half of the event cards drawn as opposed to 2 since there were only 2 doomtrooper teams. It worked pretty well for most missions. Another big problem I noticed was less doomtrooper teams meant less exploration of maps and it sucked trying to play on bigger maps that utilized all 8 tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.