Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Everyone,

I am often asked about the status of the Hannibal Rome vs Carthage 20th Anniversary Edition. Here is a short summary of my last 10 days, when I had a pleasure to meet Mark Simonitch in Poland, and move the project forward.

As I am writing these words, the train takes me to Krakow (Cracow), ancient capital of Poland, from where I'd fly to home - to England.

It was only yesterday when I waved good bye to the Band Of Gamers in Warszawa (Warsaw).

Over last days we travelled through beautiful landscapes of Northern Poland and visiting great cities of Toruń (Thorn) & Gdańsk (Danzig) and Warszawa, where we have seen the last standing German street bunker from the last war.

We’ve spent half a day in Malbork (Marienburg) in the largest medieval castle in Europe, once a seat to the Master of mighty Teutonic Order Knights.

We have also seen Westerplatte, where Second World War has started and where we were given a guided walk by Bartosz Odorowicz from Museum of the Second World War in Gdansk.

Bartosz turned out to be a gamer too

We visited Stutthof - one of the largest Nazi German Concentration Camp and found remnants of what once has been a memorial to Fieldmarshall Hindenburg, a successful German WW1 commander and president of German Republic.

There we've met a group of German historians from Anhald Military Museum, so let me send my greeting to them!

We have also seen a non-operational railway station on the crucial Nidzica - Wielbark road...

...and we have been able to locate a monument commemorating General Samsonov, commander of the Russian Army at the 1914 Battle of Tannenberg.

It was was well hidden in the forest, right at the spot, where General Samsonov shot himself dead after losing his army in the battle. We were really excited being able to find it!

A few visits to museums were also very interesting. At Warsaw's Military Museum open grounds, we were able to see Soviet era tanks, planes and artillery pieces.

Small but well organized museums at Olsztynek (Hohstadt) and Działdowo (Soldau) gave us a lot of insight in the both Tannenberg battles: that of 1410 and that of 1914.

I'd like to express thanks to the crew of Działdowo Museum and beautiful ladies at Działdowo Commune offices for letting us to the museum prior to the opening hours. Also, cheers to the Działdowo County Police for waiving the parking ticket - we've stayed in the museum a bit too long and forgot to pay for parking

During the tour I was able to gather a group of gamers for a game of Germania Magna. You can see Gene Buksa, Mark Simonitch, John Curran and Joseph Vanden Borre trying to outguess each other at this small, but very tense game.

Mark was very impressed with the game and its presentation. It is a very solid game, he said. The project is live on the Kickstarter now, so if you are interested in the late antiquity period, please take look.

The surroundings are exceptional too - we are sitting in the main room of what was a Wehrmacht House of Pleasures during the WW2. It returned to its pre-war function as hotel, currently hosting Hotel Wkra. It was thoroughly destroyed during WW1 as the Tannenberg battle was centered on Działdowo.

But before we were joined by John and Joseph, Mark, Gene, Dan Thorpe and I took part in the yearly AgroWar meeting in Wyszków County, near Warsaw organized by Maciek Sarnacki. Mark Simonitch was his star guest and had a lot of games to sign.

It was a great event and many of Mark's games were played, Mark losing one of his Civil War games to a fellow Polish gamer.

You may ask, how this connects to our development of Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage? Well, it does!

We've lost no time with Mark and kept on working on the Hamilcar scenario and expansion to Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage game, which PHALANX will be Kickstarting soon. The game will be a blast, with double printed board (separate maps for Hannibal and Hamilcar), new cards, leaders, redesigned counters and new streamlined procedures for resolving sieges, naval battles and determining combat loses. Hamilcar introduces naval battles and political missions and is even more exciting a game than Hannibal. We still need to polish it here and there but I am happy to report, we are getting where we wanted to be. Stay tuned in for further updates on the project! I will be posting more pictures soon.

Moin! Happy gaming & see you in Essen!

Jaro & Phalanx Team
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Fresh start Fresh bananas
badge
Ashwin in thoughtful mood
mb

I saw the brochures for this trip at the Games Expo in Brum and really wanted to go, but knew I'd never get the ok as my other half would be going back at work after the long Summer hols.

Nice to see pics though cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay tuned in. If I get enough interest, I may get another one organized next year during UK school holidays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Morton
Australia
Penshurst
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First time I have seen the new map, have not had the chance to play Hannibal Rome vs cartage as much as I like, but have been playing washigtons war and really liked the sub map in that that show the area majority for each region, up dated as you go. Instead of checking every thing at the end of each round, counting up all the area majortes and such is there a chance that that could get put on the map or a players aid with that?

Cheers tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a province control track at the far end of the board. Works just the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wonder if this will be displayed in Essen this year

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaro Andruszkiewicz
England
St Albans
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
New take on Hannibal will be displayed. Hamilcar - not yet. But we are getting there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.