28.9% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can hardly believe it's been 15 years since the horrific events of September 11, 2001.

I pray for the victims and their families in the ongoing and never ending effort to heal.

Where were you when you learned of the events?

I was working for a large bank in downtown Cleveland. We had a regular investment meeting on Tuesday mornings at 8:30am and were in the middle of it when one of the traders poked his head in & said "You guys are missing all the excitement. Someone flew a plane into the World Trade Center". We adjourned the meeting and, since our offices all had televisions, everyone from our floor (and eventually all other floors) gathered around to watch. I specifically remember looking down to East Ninth Street (the main avenue in Cleveland) after it became obvious that it was a deliberate terrorist action to see the street absolutely jammed with people leaving the city. Within the hour, the city was pretty much deserted. It was eerie.

I also remember calling my mom, who worked for Delta Airlines in Cleveland. She had no idea what was going on since she worked in the baggage service area below the main concourse. I told her everything I knew and that I was worried about her being at the airport and not knowing what was going on or what might happen next. I couldn't believe that the employees there weren't made aware of what was happening. Delta flight 1989 that left from Boston was originally thought to have been hijacked and landed at Cleveland Hopkins. My mom was the person who ordered the bus to take all the passengers to the terminal to be questioned by the FBI.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_Flight_1989

The world has changed so much since that day, in some ways for the better but, unfortunately, in many ways for the worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to hear other BGG members' experiences & memories if anyone would like to share.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one else has responded, but I can share mine.

I was a senior in high school at the time. I went through my first two classes having heard nothing of what was going on. I got to my locker for my third class and the person next to me said something about how someone flew planes into the World Trade Center.

To be frank, I didn't buy it initially. This kid was one of the stoner crowd, so my gut reaction was to discount what he said. There was enough specificity though that it gave me pause. What kind of airplanes?...a Cessna or something right, it couldn't have been a commercial airliner? Wait, did he say building or buildings? Anyway, I walked into my humanities class and everyone was staring at the TV in the corner. I saw the smoke and the chaos. Then a few minutes later the second tower fell and with it the reality of the situation came crashing down on me--neither building was there.

Long story short, we all spent the rest of the day glued to TVs and what little internet resources we had at the time. Replay after replay aired and new footage trickled in, but the rest of the day was a blur. Obviously we did no work that day. We just dealt with the shock and trying to figure out what comes next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a freshman in college and just got back to my dorm room after my 8 AM statistics class. My roommate was watching TV and at first, I thought it was a movie by just glancing at it, so I asked him what movie he was watching and then we were glued to the TV afterward. I recall gas skyrocketing for that weekend in our town and classes were canceled as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hahn
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing, Adam. I remember thinking the same thing- "Oh it must have been a small civilian plane. Pilot must have been showing off & trying to fly between the towers."

Then you saw the damage & it became pretty clear it wasn't a small plane.

I can imagine being in school was somewhat similar to my experience at the office. It was good to have others around to lean on as opposed to watching it alone.

Did your school make any sort of announcement? I ask because in 1986 when the Challenger disaster happened, I was a freshman in high school. An announcement was made informing the school of what had happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Delikowski
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gavin923 wrote:
Did your school make any sort of announcement? I ask because in 1986 when the Challenger disaster happened, I was a freshman in high school. An announcement was made informing the school of what had happened.

You know....I don't honestly remember. You'd think they would have earlier, during the classes where I was blissfully ignorant, but either way, I don't recall anything specific.

When Columbia broke up on reentry we were in the middle of a forensics tournament. I was out of HS at that point, but I was staffing the tournament. I remember very clearly walking into the library after visiting the judges lounge and telling everyone the shuttle was lost. Very sobering experience.

Anyway, you make a good point about experiencing these things with others, rather than alone. I didn't have a "personal" connection to anyone in NYC, so it didn't hit me at that level, but I doubt I'd be able to even quantify what it would have been like to experience 9/11 alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We left work early to go to a co-worker's home nearby and watch it.

I remember that I had just finished reading Tom Clancy's Debt of Honor. A central plot point in the book is a rogue Japanese pilot flying a plane into the U.S Capitol building. It was life imitating art in the worst way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.