Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
I just bought and have been playing the core set but there is so much content out there, I wanted to get some opinions on which direction to go. Expansions seem to follow either cycles or sagas, with sagas following the story of the books and the cycles following appendices stories.

As both directions are pretty expensive, if I could only choose to go one or the other, which provides the most narrative experience for a solo player? Or are they both play out the same in that regard. Are there scenarios results that affect how the next one plays?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Check out these links, should answer those a and other questions:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1629796/new-player-must-buy...

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16397/guide-new-lotrlcg-s...

https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/new-playe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
The saga expansions have a campaign element where you can gain good and bad cards that get added to your deck and used in the following scenarios. Also, the heroes can die permanently. I find the "Lord of the rings" saga campaign better than "The Hobbit" saga.

From a purely narrative experience, cycles from "Against the shadow" and onward are on par with the saga expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are there scenarios results that affect how the next one plays?

I love all of LotR:TCG, but only the Saga expansions do this.

It is a standard rule in the Hobbit boxes, but the effect is a bit limited. Basically, if you find X, then you can include X in your deck in future Hobbit Saga quests.

In the LotR Saga boxes, it is a(n awesome) variant -- with additional setup instructions, record keeping and play rules. The effects are more significant, with multiple Boons and Burdens being added to your deck over the course of the campaign. Side note --- If you are interested, there are 2 PoD expansions which fit into the campaign of the 1st box.

The normal Deluxe/AP cycles do not have this campaign/carryover effect, but they still tell great stories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosen Crantz
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the advice and the links! Based on what I've read here I decided to go with the saga expansions first, as the campaign mode really appeals to me.

I felt this would also be the best way to introduce my wife into the game before I went expansion crazy. Unlike me, she had a life and did not read the books (*sarcasm*). I grew up with the books, and still remember my dad reading The Hobbit to me for bedtime as a kid decades ago as the launching point for my love of reading and storytelling. She has, however, watched the movies. The saga expansions would be a better entry point given she can still experience the saga quests in the context of the story of the Lord of the Ring movies. Narrative immersion and purpose is important for the both our enjoyment of board games. So if she does want to join in a game of LotR LCG, it's paramount that she understands the context of that scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.