Subject: Small translation question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
I'm currently warming up my Japanese->English rules translation chops by translating a small, obscure desktop-published folio wargame (not yet in the BGG database). I've been trying to do this independently (despite it having been 15 years since I last studied Japanese) and so far, so good. However I'm completely stumped by "視界良好" in the following rule:

"小川、河川ヘクスサイド越しに居るならば、視界良好でダイス目に、ー1修正加えます。"

So, if that word/phrase weren't there, it'd be something like:

"If [the target unit] is across a small stream or a river hexside, a -1 modifier is applied to the die result."

How, if at all, does "視界良好" change the meaning of the sentence?

"視界" translates as "field of vision" and "良好" is "favorable", but that doesn't make much sense in this context because, as far as I can tell, there's no Line Of Sight rule or anything like that in this game (besides, it's between two adjacent hexes, so in most games, LOS wouldn't be a concern). I did a Google search for "視界良好" and those four Kanji appear together frequently, however I can't find it in any dictionary, which leads me to believe it's something idiomatic.

Thanks for your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Or is it just something like, "...across a river hexide..., because the field of view is good, a -1 modifier is applied..."? (a -1 modifier is a good thing in this case).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a thematic explanation rather than a rule point. It is out in the open/more visible/easier to hit/whatever, and therefore a -1 modifier is applied to the die result.

Unless the word is a keyword used elsewhere in the text, you have a lot of leeway to translate it any way you think sounds appropriate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
Benkyo wrote:
It's a thematic explanation rather than a rule point. It is out in the open/more visible/easier to hit/whatever, and therefore a -1 modifier is applied to the die result.

Unless the word is a keyword used elsewhere in the text, you have a lot of leeway to translate it any way you think sounds appropriate.

OK great, thanks! That's what I was beginning to suspect. I was originally looking for something concrete, in a keyword sense, but what you say makes perfect sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
It just says "if you're beside a river or brook hex, your field of vision is so good, that you get a –1 on the die roll".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OSAKA Kobe KYOTO Nara BULLET to TOKYO
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I'm currently warming up my Japanese->English rules translation chops by translating a small, obscure desktop-published folio wargame (not yet in the BGG database).

Well done you! We need more translators to bridge the divide. If anyone else wants to get some practise in, try this:
Japanese -> English Translation Request List

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love BGG for all the willingness to support the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
jakobcreutzfeldt wrote:
I'm currently warming up my Japanese->English rules translation chops by translating a small, obscure desktop-published folio wargame (not yet in the BGG database).

Well done you! We need more translators to bridge the divide. If anyone else wants to get some practise in, try this:
Japanese -> English Translation Request List

It's all in preparation for this: Sekigahara 1600, which is going to be a much bigger project (>30 pages of rules, cards, map, etc all to translate). I'll probably put out a call for volunteers to help out with it. But, 16 years since that version was published and 35 years since its original release...it's high time it got translated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.