Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Through my own experience, and seeing many post here, it seems inexperienced players first few games often end up with play that results in a fast pyramid win or the like. This it seems to be due to not understanding some of the strategy and other aspects of the game.

I have seen some posts mention adding teaching trade strategy and other basic strategy elements to make first games go better. I have used the academy games video that covers the round phases and gone over rules, but need to add more on the explination to create a better first game.

What have you found is helpful when teaching new players to play the game besides a basic rule overview?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the trade leader is putting a lot of resources, don't trade with that person until the rare resources (or coins) that they need are gone, and what remains are common resources they already have. This applies to anyone who's pulling in enough resources to get close to building the pyramids/a fifth hero/wonder.

Build a military. This will change the way everyone plays. If someone doesn't build a military and they're going for a win, occupy their production, control their provinces, and/or burn them down.

Explain that military victory is easy for Babylon, pyramids is easy for Egypt, heroes/wonders is easier for Carthage, and pyramids are also potentially easier for Rome (they are next to a number of resources they don't automatically produce).

Owning a legendary city will net you an income of +2, bring you closer to a victory condition, and prevent someone else from the same condition.

Increase your resource production by +2 on your first turn if you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stratton
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I second Steven's suggestions. After the second turn, they could perhaps be boiled down to:

"Pay attention to what everyone else is doing, and how close they are to the various victory conditions. Talk to everyone about what you see."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.