Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Very clever:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/now-you-can-buy-a-usb-stick-tha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting:

Quote:
Not every device is vulnerable to a USB Kill attack. The device maker said that Apple "voluntarily" protected its hardware.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Interesting:

Quote:
Not every device is vulnerable to a USB Kill attack. The device maker said that Apple "voluntarily" protected its hardware.
Yes. I noticed that odd wording.

I also noticed the tone of the last part about how they sell protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so if you plug it into another one of these would it be a mutal kill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
growlley wrote:
so if you plug it into another one of these would it be a mutal kill?

No, the usb stick doesn't supply any power. It just uses a capacitor to store up the power being supplied by the USB port and then feed it all back in one burst.

It really seems like an odd product to me, I fail to see the usefulness of it other than being a dick. If the intention is just to destroy the USB port itself, there are plenty of less destructive ways to do it that don't risk frying the entire computer the USB port is connected to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
sfox wrote:

It really seems like an odd product to me, I fail to see the usefulness of it other than being a dick. If the intention is just to destroy the USB port itself, there are plenty of less destructive ways to do it that don't risk frying the entire computer the USB port is connected to.

I see all kinds of potential uses. If you destroy a computer this way rather than something really obvious (like bashing in its console) it ties up resources having folks diagnose the issue, perhaps do testing in place, taking back to their labs for further testing. Somebody might not know that a given computer was destroyed for example.

It's not clear to me if this works if the port has been disabled; that's standard security practice in most organizations. I guess it depends on whether or not that disabling turns off the port power or not?

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Disable the port with superglue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
sfox wrote:

I see all kinds of potential uses. If you destroy a computer this way rather than something really obvious (like bashing in its console) it ties up resources having folks diagnose the issue, perhaps do testing in place, taking back to their labs for further testing. Somebody might not know that a given computer was destroyed for example.

It's not clear to me if this works if the port has been disabled; that's standard security practice in most organizations. I guess it depends on whether or not that disabling turns off the port power or not?

Ferret

And what use would that have outside not being a dick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course it's trivial to design a USB interface that copes with a short high voltage spike. Every one I've ever designed would be OK. I would expect a decent computer to have some protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
jmilum wrote:
Disable the port with superglue

That would probably do it.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:

My, aren't we a ray of sunshine today? :)

First, some folks ARE dicks. I refer you to most of RSP (or perhaps just the mirror) as an example there.

Second, a spy could have all kinds of reasons for doing this, probably as varied as reasons to spy.

Ferret

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Now you can buy a USB stick that 'moi' shall make into a "suppository" for YOU!
IT could also become 'useful' as a 'buttplug' for anyone 'moi' CATCH with that! "Gonna CATCH an 'example'!" surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kinda dumb. You can accomplish the same thing with a gun or a hammer. And those have other purposes as well. If we stipulate physical access to the machine the battle is already lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

My, aren't we a ray of sunshine today? :)

First, some folks ARE dicks. I refer you to most of RSP (or perhaps just the mirror) as an example there.

Second, a spy could have all kinds of reasons for doing this, probably as varied as reasons to spy.

Ferret
It wouild seem to me the last thing I spy would want to do it let peopel know something has happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Really? People who have spouted at length in RSP about human nature can't understand the purpose or reason behind this?

Here's one.

Because I can.

Very basic facet of a lot of people. Because I can think of it. Because its a cool idea. Because I can build it and make it work. Because I can be a dick. The last one might well be the more common impetus for actual implementation, but it need not be; the first three are sufficient a lot of the time.

Do not press this button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason to use this would be to check if your vendor was providing hardened equipment to meet your spec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
It wouild seem to me the last thing I spy would want to do it let peopel know something has happened.

If you kill the USBs on a critical piece of equipment that isn't often used, you cause all kinds of consternation/confusion when somebody does try to use it. Delay is a valuable tool for the spy.

Ferret
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
Here's what I took from it:

The article says you can plug it into anything -- a PC, a laptop, even a PHONE BOOTH

A phone booth? They even make those anymore? WTF?

As for the killer USB -- well, people do funny things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see a die-hard civil libertarian carrying this in his pocket when crossing (edit: or getting within 100 miles of) the US border. Maybe silk screen the 4th amendment on the outside of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

If you kill the USBs on a critical piece of equipment that isn't often used, you cause all kinds of consternation/confusion when somebody does try to use it. Delay is a valuable tool for the spy.

Ferret
Yes, this same piece of equipment that contains all that up to date intel that no one put on there recently.

Do you mean SPy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
One reason to use this would be to check if your vendor was providing hardened equipment to meet your spec.

We tend to use better specified EMC test equipment.
When I designed aircraft equipment every interface had lightning protection that would not worry about this device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret
Yes, this same piece of equipment that contains all that up to date intel that no one put on there recently.

Do you mean SPy?

?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
slatersteven wrote:

Ferret

Do you mean SPy?

?

Why is a spy going to be interested in a work station that has not been sued for ages?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the rent-free space in your head. Would have been nice if you'd cleaned it up a bit before you rented it out, though.
badge
I control your mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
The State Department is buying them wholesale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
rekinom wrote:
I could see a die-hard civil libertarian carrying this in his pocket when crossing (edit: or getting within 100 miles of) the US border. Maybe silk screen the 4th amendment on the outside of it.

I can see it being used by someone who's being raided by the police and doesn't want his computer to be examined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.