Subject: MFL Week 1: Gorillas @ Bulls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(This was played as 7 vs 7, without skills. It was a solo play, with a few first half rules mistakes! I also need to learn how to defend...)

A crucial second-half turnover decided this contest between Divisional rivals Dallas and New York.

The New York Gorillas won the opening toss and opted to give the Bulls the first possession. The defence looked to react well to this, stopping Sam Emmitt on an inside run for only 15 yards on first down, but the next play saw Roy Cakeman scramble out of the backfield and hand the ball off to speedster Dee Sandman who made it all the way to the 5 yard line before being hauled down. Reeling from the big play, the Gorillas were powerless to stop Emmitt bouncing the next run outside and into the endzone for the touchdown.

New York here took their timeout, hoping to have the opportunity to take over the game with back-to-back possessions. And their #64 duly escaped everyone to score a superb (and mostly YAC) 80-yard receiving touchdown to instantly level the scores on first down.

The Bulls called a timeout of their own in the hope of restoring their lead before the break, but whilst they completed two 20-yard passes to set up 1st and 40 on the final play of the half, Cakeman's next pass was incomplete bringing us to the interval tied Gorillas 7-7 Bulls.

After Larry Trailer opened the second half with a 15-yard run, the game's decisive play came on the following 2nd down. Trailer fumbled the ball in a handoff, and whilst it seemed disaster had been averted as his quarterback Cakeman gathered the loose ball and continued the play by handing off to #67, 67 then himself fumbled as he took a bruising hit from Bulls #41. Even without the skill system being used in this game, Dee Sandman showed off his penchant for big plays as he scooped up the loose ball and ran it all the way back for a crucial touchdown in the corner.

Knowing that they could still force overtime with another touchdown, the Gorillas lined up to pass but saw an opportunity to break Larry Trailer clear with an outside run up the left touchline. He set off, but didn't take the opportunity to duck out of bounds and crucially was then hauled down by the covering defender to bring an end to the game, Gorillas 7-14 Bulls.

New York Gorillas
# 7 Elliot Manly: 1/1 for 80yds, TD
#55 Larry Trailer: 2 rush for 60yds
#64 _________: 1 rec for 80 yds, TD

Dallas Bulls
# 6 Roy Cakeman: 2/3 for 40 yds
#41 _________: forced fumble
#55 Sam Emmitt: 2 rush for 20yds, TD
#64 _________: 1 rec for 20yds
#77 Dee Sandman: 1 rush for 60yds, 1 rec for 20 yds, fumble recovery, return TD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a video play-through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pymont
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
I'd love to see a video play-through.

Not really possible in this case as I was using a virtual game board (actually in a spreadsheet!) But I'm hoping to build a print and play copy to try it out with some friends.

Have you seen the videos from the game designer Brent? https://www.periscope.tv/thebrentspivey/1kvJpVlaeEXKE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jef Addley
United Kingdom
Leatherhead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes its really worth watching the playthrough... persuaded me to back the kickstarter anyway
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franck@DoW
France
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't watched the ones on Periscope yet (not that convenient for me) but I would recommend this one on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_vVMLWsyY
Brent explains the ropes as the play develops and it's a great way to figure the game out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.