8 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Place X and increase X rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fugazi70 fugazi70
msg tools
mb
I had plantation token and it says place a greenery tile and raise oxygen by one

Let's say oxygen is currently at 0

Would I increase oxygen 2 steps one for the forest and one from the card rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
fugazi70 wrote:
I had plantation token and it says place a greenery tile and raise oxygen by one

Only increase 1 step. The text describes that you get a greenery tile and what naturally follows on placing that greenery tile.

Look at icons first (get the tile). If they are unclear, look at the explanation text.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fugazi70 fugazi70
msg tools
mb
Thank you for the quick reply
We're enjoying the game
Make more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
fugazi70 wrote:

Only increase 1 step. The text describes that you get a greenery tile and what naturally follows on placing that greenery tile.

Look at icons first (get the tile). If they are unclear, look at the explanation text.

Cheers!

I really have to compliment you (and the developer?) for the extremely good iconography in Terraforming Mars. Distinction between getting resources or increasing their production, only getting an income increase when building a city from standard actions and otherwise just what the card says, and many more. Good job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mokey D Luffy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the reason he is confused it that the two cards that help you place a greenery tile are the only ones that specifically instruct you to do something which is automatic.

For example, all of the cards that tell you to place ocean tiles do not tell you to increase your terraform rating, nor do the temperature increases, nor do the oxygen level increases. Some of those, especially the higher cost space events, let you increase your terraform rating, we well as increase temperature and/or place oceans, which will increase it even more.

Then, there are two cards that tell you to place a greenery tile, which automatically increases the oxygen, and also tell you to increase the oxygen. I figured that it was just a bit overexplained on those two, so I played them correctly, as it turns out.

I was actually just looking through the deck to see if there was a lot of this, but it seems like it is only the two cards that place a greenery tile, so it seems fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gingrich
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this very confusing. Why mention the increase in O2 but not the increase in your TR rating for placing the same greenery tile.

I think when the cards get reworked (if ever) they should just say "and place a greenery tile".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Ruckeisen
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All text in parantheses (unless in ALL-CAPS) always just spells out what the icons say. If the O2 increase was extra to what the greenery placement does, it would be reflected in an extra O2 icon.

The iconography for "place greenery tile and increase O2 rating" just happens to consist of 2 icons: the greenery tile and the (smaller) "+O2" symbol. So the text spells out both of them.

That "+O2" symbol can (and should) be considered its own icon, as can be seen on cards that only increase oxygen. Now, the "place greenery" symbol never shows up without the "+O2" (and for thematic reasons, I doubt we'll ever see an example where that's the case) - but it could in theory. So it's correct that the text does mention the O2 increase.

The TR increase that follows, on the other hand, doesn't need explaining on the card. That's just the base rule "whenever you increase a Global Parameter that is not yet maxed out, increase your TR accordingly".

The important distinction is that planting greeneries actually does two things: Placing a tile and as a result increasing a Global Parameter (unless maxed). That's different from placing oceans - oceans placed are the Global Parameter in that case, you can't increase oceans any other way than placing ocean tiles, and unlike greeneries, you can't keep placing them after the Global Parameter has been maxed out either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tylergingrich wrote:
I find this very confusing. Why mention the increase in O2 but not the increase in your TR rating for placing the same greenery tile.

I think when the cards get reworked (if ever) they should just say "and place a greenery tile".

Agreed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.