Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played the game twice so far, both solo. First was just base deck, second was with all expansions other than coaches. Playing with four buy rounds, I won the first game 4 games to 3, and the second 4 to nothing (though one game went into extra innings). I realized I was playing slightly wrong the first (not resolving home teams final his), but fixed that the second game.
Anyway, very fun game so far. I like the sport of baseball generally and this includes just the good stuff.
Question - what is the purpose of the first three mini games, other than for the buy rounds and maybe Get a feel of your opponents play style, and determine home player for the series?
Admittedly I haven't played with two yet, but I don't see a reason not to just do buy rounds then get into the series. Am I missing something?
Also, in order to see as many cards as possible, I've been refreshing the buy row of six each buy round. Is there a resin i shouldn't do that?

And finally, what was that classic sci fi story that had to be an inspiration for the game, where players got more and cyborgized as years went by?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Question - what is the purpose of the first three mini games, other than for the buy rounds and maybe Get a feel of your opponents play style, and determine home player for the series?
Admittedly I haven't played with two yet, but I don't see a reason not to just do buy rounds then get into the series. Am I missing something?

You've summarised the purposes nicely. And that's why playing just the buy-rounds is suggested in the rules for experienced players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Having a fixed lineup to purchase from allows you to plan what cards to buy early in the game. If there's a lot of expensive good stuff, you may buy cards the first couple of rounds which aren't as good, but give you more money. It also keeps someone from being able to buy just the cards they want, because the choices are limited. If they changed every round, you could focus on more of a strategy from the start (such as buying all robots, or buying all cards that counter robots since your opponent is buying all of the robots).

Refreshing the buy row every round won't break the game, so if you enjoy that more, go ahead.

As for the mini games at the start, it can help you to figure out how your opponent plays the game, but it's not necessary. It also allows you to customize the length of the game. If you don't have time for 2 times through a world series, add a few games beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fitzgerald
United States
Lafayette
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Once players know the game they rarely play those first 3 games unless playing a longer series. I like to play best of 13 where every game counts and we start with just the starter decks in game 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority. I love those first 3 games.

They have a good chance of going to extra innings meaning you get more $ for players.

...and...home field advantage for the World Series! I want game 7 at home.

Incidentally, the app is going to start sending over detailed info pretty soon, so we will be able to settle once and for all whether the Visitor Save trumps Home Field Advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.