Onirim (second edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: First time with all seven expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adayu
United States
flag msg tools
designer
You must tip me if your mouse pointer is touching my nipples.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a report of my first playthrough of Onirim with all 7 expansions.

Setup

Here is how I arranged the game:

The Goal Line at the top holds the 13 Goal cards (8 from Steps, 4 from Glyphs, and 1 from Oniverse). I have to obtain the Door cards in this order, from left to right.

You may also notice, just above the Goal Line, is the Little Incubus pawn. He's ordinarily used in the Little Incubus appendix mode, but I'm not actually playing with that mode since it's incompatible with the expansions. He's just here to cheer me on.

Under the Goal Line is the Door Line where I'll put the Door cards.

Then comes the Tower line which is where I'll put Tower cards in an attempt to build a full four-tower Alignment.

The Dark Premonitions Line holds the Dark Premonitions deck and the four face-up Dark Premonition cards I start with.

The Resource Line is where I hold the Spells card from Steps and the two Failsafe cards from Dreamcatchers. I'll also put Oniverse Denizen cards here if I rally any.

To the right are the Dreamcatcher cards. Limbo cards will go to an unoccupied Dreamcatcher line instead of being shuffled back into the deck.

And here's that deck. This is what a stack of 133 sleeved cards looks like.

The deck has the following:
- Standard game: all 76 cards
- Glyphs: the 8 Glyph cards and 4 Door cards
- Dreamcatchers: the 4 Lost Dream cards
- Towers: the 12 Tower cards
- Happy Dreams and Dark Premonitions: the 4 Happy Dream cards
- Crossroads: the 6 Crossroad cards and 10 Dead End
- Oniverse: the 1 Door card and 8 randomly drawn Denizen cards.

Let's take a closer look at the Goal Line:

It's not too bad. The first four cards start with the easiest Door to obtain (red) and gradually end with the hardest Door (brown).

And what Dark Premonitions do we start with?

I really don't like the second and third ones. The second one will add 2 Dark Premonitions when I obtain the fifth door. I call the third one the "Red Apocalypse" because it will remove all red location cards from the deck when I obtain the second red door. This will make the third red door really hard to get. I hope to get some Happy Dream cards pronto so I can close these Dark Premonitions.

Let's begin!

Here's my opening hand.

The first door I have to obtain is a red one, so I went ahead and played the red sun card and the Crossroads moon card. Although Crossroads cards are very valuable as wildcards, I feel there's little sense in holding onto them in a game as hard as Onirim. Use them before you lose them!

Before long, I obtained the first red door.

I set out to get the second door (blue), but soon drew my first Nightmare.

I resolved it with the brown key card and continued, earning the blue door.

I was about to get the third door (green) when the Little Incubus warned me not to go so fast.

Why the warning? Let's look again at the Dark Premonition line:

Note that the fourth premonition card will force me to discard my hand as soon as I get the third door. Right now, my hand has a couple of very valuable cards (a red key and a Crossroads sun) that would hurt to lose.

I wasn't going to be able to save the Crossroads sun, but at least I could use the red key to trigger a prophecy. So I did so, then got the third door and fulfilled the fourth premonition card.

Note that the fourth premonition had an additional effect besides discarding my hand; it added another premonition card to the line.

Fortunately, the new hand of cards I drew helped me get the fourth door (brown). But the fifth door to get was also brown, and now my hand was leaning blue. So I did a little switcheroo at the Goal Line by casting the Parallel Planning spell from Steps.

By paying the price of 7 of my discards, I switched the brown door with a blue one.

Note that I didn't just choose any 7 discards; I went through the discard pile and fished out the least valuable ones (2 Dead Ends, 2 Nightmares, and 3 sun cards). Why go through that trouble? Because it's possible to pull a discard back into your hand by using the Cyclobot denizen card. There's no sense in paying for spells with keys and Crossroads when you can use trashier discards.

I obtained the fifth door (blue), which fulfilled one of the dark premonition cards ...

... which added two more premonitions.

Ah, but the fifth door was my second blue door, fulfilling another premonition. The two-blue-door premonition forced me to sacrifice 2 keys from the deck. I chose one red and one blue.

But wait, there's more! Getting the second blue door was also my first matching color pair, fulfilling yet another premonition:

This premonition forced me to return an obtained door to the deck. I chose to surrender my first door (red) for a couple of reasons: 1) at this point, red was probably still slightly easier to get than the other doors, 2) my hand was already conducive to red, so it wouldn't take long to get the red door back, and 3) by giving up a red door, I'd delay the Red Apocalypse (triggered by getting two red doors) a while longer.

It turned out that I needn't have worried about the Red Apocalypse, because I soon got a Happy Dream card which I used to close that premonition.

Things weren't looking so good, though. I'd only found a total of four doors and my deck was already diminishing.

On the bright side, I completed my Tower alignment.

I haven't yet mentioned the Dreamcatchers. So far in the game, I'd been pretty good about keeping at least one of the Dreamcatcher lines empty so that it could accomodate Limbo cards. But, in a moment of neglect, I let all four lines fill and didn't use a Failsafe card to empty a line. I eventually drew a green door that ended up in Limbo with no empty Dreamcatcher line to take it.

So I had to dismantle a Dreamcatcher line. Losing one line isn't a disaster, but it makes an already tough game more difficult.

The game continued. I was doing pretty well as the deck grew smaller and smaller. I used discards judiciously to banish Nightmares and switch up Goal Line cards. I got my tenth door, just three away from victory.

Sadly, it wasn't meant to be. The deck emptied and I lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
I wish I could play more games.
badge
Collecting games is not playing games.
mbmbmbmbmb
You are obviously insane. But my kind of insane. I just picked this game up a week and change ago, have played way too many vanilla games and am getting ready to try ONE of the variants. Not sure which one yet. I have it all scanned into cardwarden. Each of the variants set up and ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, just awesome.
Now I have to try it too. goo

I like the little quotes that the Incubus makes, btw. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IMCarnochan wrote:
You are obviously insane. But my kind of insane. I just picked this game up a week and change ago, have played way too many vanilla games and am getting ready to try ONE of the variants. Not sure which one yet. I have it all scanned into cardwarden. Each of the variants set up and ready to go.

In that case I'm also insane . I've tried to play with all 7.5 expansions in one game. I did it because... hmmm... because I could .

I don't think I'll be doing it again any time soon, though, because I think it's a game that shines because it's quick and simple and playing with all expansions makes it longer and more complex than its light skeleton can bear.

To me the game plays best with 1-3 expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:

To me the game plays best with 1-3 expansions.

Agreed. I almost always play with the glyphs in the deck. The three combo I prefer is Book of Steps L&F, Glyphs and The Dreamcatchers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maximiliano Sanchez de Bustamante
Argentina
Olivos
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
I've tried to play with all 7.5 expansions in one game. I did it because... hmmm... because I could .

Why I should try to climb the mountain? Because it is there. The same applies for the 7.5 expansions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adayu
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I had to start over a couple of times because I'd made rules mistakes, playing with all 7 was more fun and not as difficult to figure out as I thought it was going to be. It definitely helps to have some familiarity with each individual expansion first, though.

I do plan to play with all 7 again, though I may use this variant that lowers the difficulty a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now go get Onirim (second edition): Mirrors Promo Cards & Onirim (second edition): Sphinx, Diver and Confusion Promo Cards, and play with all nine expansions! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Agner Holm
Denmark
Aarhus C
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have tried that. Surprise, I lost big Time!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adayu
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teeka wrote:

Whoa, I didn't know those existed!

Interesting, but even I have my limits. wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adayu wrote:
Teeka wrote:

Whoa, I didn't know those existed!

Interesting, but even I have my limits. wow

Don't stop now! They're still available from the Z-man website: http://www.zmangames.com/apps/search?q=onirim .

The little incubus compels you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an amazingly entertaining session report! The idea with the commenting Incubus is so funny and cool. I had such a great time reading it. Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.