Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has played or is still playing Sea Fall as a 5 player game - what are your thoughts about that player count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group has been playing 5 player, to mixed reviews of the game.

While the max player count for us is usually a target goal, my non spoiler impression is that 4 may be a better number. It will cause enough tension without causing bad feelings and will make the games flow faster.

Psudo-spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
While the increased tension and the threat of 4 other players that will raid you. In our games it just hasn't happened as much. Our games have been consistently between 2.5 and 3 hours each. They probably would be between 1.5 and 2 with only 4 players. Keep in mind I think as a group we are making pretty fast turn and not suffering AP very often.

As it has already started with this many we will most likely finish with that many. But if I were to start fresh I would say 4 would be a better number.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Robb
United States
Calais
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You are saying that increasing from 4 to 5 players adds about 1 hour extra to the game.

Do you have any more insight on why that one extra player adds so much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It makes sense to me that the 5th player would increase play time by more than 25%. Because you've got at least 25% more turns (just from the extra number of players), plus with more competition the game might go for more rounds since less glory per player is available, plus with more other players taking turns between your turns it might be somewhat harder to plan ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David hit the nail on the head there, more actions that need to be completed, less glory per player and almost impossible to plan ahead with four other players changing the state of the board.

While I am having fun with five and am going to continue on this way. I think it is important to set the expectation that this game will take some time and with five that time is grater.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.