Hide
6 Posts

Sorry!» Forums » Reviews

Subject: SORRY! Session Report rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wei Su
msg tools
I am an international student and SORRY! is the first board game I played in the U.S. To be honest, I had some difficulties to read the instruction and play the game since English is not my first language. But fortunately the mechanism was not that difficult and it brought us a lot of fun.
We had everything set up very quick and then started the game. The guy sat in front of me was Benjamin. Our objective was to move our pawns from Start to Home based on the instruction of SORRY! Card we draw. If the card says move forward, then we pick any pawn to move clockwise, otherwise move counterclockwise. We also have Ice Power-Up and Fire Power-Up tokens in the center of the board.

Here are the functions of each card:
1: Move the Ice token, then move forward 1.
2: Move the fire token, then move forward 2.
3: Move one of your pawns forward 3 spaces.
4: Move one of your pawns backward 4 spaces.
5: Move one of your pawns forward 5 spaces.
7: Move one pawn forward 7 spaces or split the forward move between two pawns.
8: Move one of your pawns forward 8 spaces.
10: Move one of your pawns forward 10 spaces or move one of your pawns backward one space.
11: Move one of your pawns forward 11 spaces or switch any one of your pawns with an opponent’s.
12: Move one of your pawns forward 12 spaces.
SORRY!: Take one pawn from your Start, place it on any space occupied by an opponent, and Bump that opponent’s pawn back to its Start. Or move one of your pawns forward 4 spaces.

According to the rule, youngest player goes first, and luckily I was a little bit younger than Benjamin. So I drew a card and the number was 5. After I moved 5 grids, Benjamin drew a 10 and moved his pawn 10 grids forward. Then I got a 3, and he got a 5…
After a while, some interesting things happened. When I almost had one of my spawns moved into Safety Zone, Benjamin drew out a SORRY! card and then he took his pawn from Start and kicked mine back. What a big disappointment!
Another interesting part was the power tokens. When anyone draw a 1, that player can move the Ice token to any opponent’s pawn. A pawn with Ice token will not be able to move or be bumped, which could both be a good and bad thing. Fire token is super powerful. Player who got a pawn with Fire token can move directly to the next fire space before drawing a card. When Benjamin had two of his pawns moved out from start, I drew a 1 and moved the Ice token to his farthest pawn, and then he was not able to move it for a long while. With the help of these Ice and Fire tokens, I firstly moved all my pawns into Home and won the game. As shown on the second picture.
One thing we were struggling was that, is it possible to have a pawn with both Ice and Fire token. We read the instruction carefully but can’t find anything related. (Our guess was yes. If you know what it should be, please let me know)
I felt that if there were four players, then the strategies and experience might be much different. So next time I will ask more friends to play together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I like SORRY! card the most when I luckily get one but also hate that card the most when Benjamin own it

Don't forget: third person singular verb tense. I own/you own/he owns.

Quote:
However, Benjamin drew out a SORRY! card and then I was kicked back to Start.

Past perfect tense correctly used. Excellent!

Quote:
One thing we were struggling was that, is it possible to have a pawn with both Ice and Fire token. We read the instruction carefully but can’t find anything related. So our guess is yes. (If you know what it should be, please let me know)

Typical! A situation that's not covered by the rules. I'd suggest checking the company's website for a FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
willsuwei wrote:
... We also have Ice Power-Up and Fire Power-Up tokens in the center of the board.

3: Move one of your pawns forward 2 spaces.

Is this a new variant? I don't recall any Fire or Ice tokens when I played this as a kid.

Also, shouldn't line 3 be "move one of your own pawns 3 spaces? I do recall there being "3" cards in the set I used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
Is this a new variant? I don't recall any Fire or Ice tokens when I played this as a kid.

Fire = red
Ice = blue
Snot = green
Urine = yellow

Now I want to play the game, with this color system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Su
msg tools
jumbit wrote:
Quote:
I like SORRY! card the most when I luckily get one but also hate that card the most when Benjamin own it

Don't forget: third person singular verb tense. I own/you own/he owns.

Quote:
However, Benjamin drew out a SORRY! card and then I was kicked back to Start.

Past perfect tense correctly used. Excellent!

Quote:
One thing we were struggling was that, is it possible to have a pawn with both Ice and Fire token. We read the instruction carefully but can’t find anything related. So our guess is yes. (If you know what it should be, please let me know)

Typical! A situation that's not covered by the rules. I'd suggest checking the company's website for a FAQ.

Thanks for the correction and suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei Su
msg tools
Yuglooc wrote:
willsuwei wrote:
... We also have Ice Power-Up and Fire Power-Up tokens in the center of the board.

3: Move one of your pawns forward 2 spaces.

Also, shouldn't line 3 be "move one of your own pawns 3 spaces? I do recall there being "3" cards in the set I used.

I did some proofreading but didn't find that out. SORRY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.