$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 88.16

5,778 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
36.4% of Goal | 26 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Games with Captain America? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lisa H.
msg tools
My younger daughter is almost 7 and is completely in love with Captain America right now. We were in our FLGS and she saw Munchkin Marvel and really wanted to get it. I opted not to at the time because I wasn't sure how well the "take that" mechanism go over. I'd like to get her a game with Captain America in it for her birthday in a few weeks. I know about Marvel Legendary, but she may be a little young for that and my husband is not a huge fan of co-ops (he HATES Forbidden Desert but Castle Panic is OK). Are there any other light games out there?

She is a good reader and we have a decent collection of lighter "gateway" games. Her favorites right now are Takenoko, Forbidden Desert, Fairytale Gloom, and Escape: The Curse of the Temple. She is also more than happy to play King of Tokyo, Carcassonne, and Ticket to Ride. She does well and is getting better, but needs some help with strategy still.

Any suggestions? Or is Marvel Legendary really where it's at? She has never played a deck builder before.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Smith
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from Marvel Legendary (which has a Captain America expansion for the character's 75th anniversary) and Marvel Munchkin, the next best game I could think of with Captain America would be Marvel HeroClix or Marvel DiceMasters from WizKids.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb


This has Cap's seal of approval.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroClix

Consider Marvel Heroclix. There are numerous miniatures of Captain America, his peers, and the bad guys, and they can be purchased cheaply on EBay. She can play by the rules, or make up her own adventures, and she can add more superheroes and supervillains as she becomes familiar with them.

I believe there was a set based specifically on the Captain America films.




3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XCinX wrote:
Aside from Marvel Legendary (which has a Captain America expansion for the character's 75th anniversary) and Marvel Munchkin, the next best game I could think of with Captain America would be Marvel HeroClix or Marvel DiceMasters from WizKids.


That Capt America add on is pretty dang slick too. Just saying.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what availability is like now, but Heroscape Marvel: The Conflict Begins has Captain America (and Iron Man, Spider-man, Hulk, and Red Skull). The game is fun and easy to learn.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa H.
msg tools
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Heroscape is not going to be easy to find in my price range. I'm not sure I want to get into a collectible game like Heroclix, and we have Disney Infinity figures so just the characters themselves may be redundant.

So given that, would Marvel Legendary be easy enough for a 6-7 year old to pick up? Or is it a little more complex than that? I may need to see if our FLGS has it in their game library and give it a try, but I don't want to do that if there's just no chance.

I'll check out Risk too, but I'm not sure about the direct conflict component.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KK Su
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mnfe wrote:
My younger daughter is almost 7 and is completely in love with Captain America right now. We were in our FLGS and she saw Munchkin Marvel and really wanted to get it. I opted not to at the time because I wasn't sure how well the "take that" mechanism go over.


Yeah, my kids had "Munchkin: Adventure Time" since they were 8 and 10, and surprisingly, the 'take that' didn't throw them off at all. Of course, they were mostly using all the 'take that' cards on their dad. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnfe wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Heroscape is not going to be easy to find in my price range. I'm not sure I want to get into a collectible game like Heroclix, and we have Disney Infinity figures so just the characters themselves may be redundant.

So given that, would Marvel Legendary be easy enough for a 6-7 year old to pick up? Or is it a little more complex than that? I may need to see if our FLGS has it in their game library and give it a try, but I don't want to do that if there's just no chance.

I'll check out Risk too, but I'm not sure about the direct conflict component.
You can get OK "starter sets" (collections) of Heroclix from ebay, as long as you are not overly worried about rarity.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
mnfe wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Heroscape is not going to be easy to find in my price range. I'm not sure I want to get into a collectible game like Heroclix, and we have Disney Infinity figures so just the characters themselves may be redundant.

So given that, would Marvel Legendary be easy enough for a 6-7 year old to pick up? Or is it a little more complex than that? I may need to see if our FLGS has it in their game library and give it a try, but I don't want to do that if there's just no chance.

I'll check out Risk too, but I'm not sure about the direct conflict component.
You can get OK "starter sets" (collections) of Heroclix from ebay, as long as you are not overly worried about rarity.


Yeah, or check direct sites like Troll&Toad, StrikeZoneOnline, NobleKnight, etc. if just looking for commons lots out there. I detest collectible games so very happy there's a secondary market to get just the sculpts I want (assuming they're not for the super-rare chase anniversary promo unit . ).

Both of my girls play with clix as generic figurines. One time they set up a Cinderella style "ball" ... It was like a con
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolette Tanksley
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain America is one of my favorites, too.

I've tried almost all of these suggestions except the Risk one. Heroclix is probably the most like being a superhero. It can be complex, but also there are pieces that are simpler to play. You can buy a lot of the Captain America ones pretty cheap at this point, as Wizkids retires them and then folks dump them on ebay because they aren't competitive anymore. The earlier sets are simpler than the later ones, though most of the Captain Americas are pretty easy to play. Agents of SHIELD has some good ones, but the Cap is sprinkled in a whole lot of other sets as well...including the smaller movie sets.

To me, Legendary is a strange deckbuilder because you combine all of your chosen superhero decks first, then try to build your own deck to take out the super villian. Essentially, everyone is playing the team of superheroes, not just being one of the superheroes in the team. Yes, it is co-op but only until you get close to the end where the backstabbing starts. Too bad it has to be Captain America, because I would absolutely recommend Sentinels of the Multiverse or DC Deckbuilder, both of which I find easier to set up and more thematic. Sentinels of the Multiverse is actually my favorite of the three because each hero deck plays completely differently. Though the superheroes aren't DC or Marvel, you can see where their inspiration comes from...it's totally co-op and it feels really thematic to me for a card game.

Dicemasters is also kind of an odd game where you start out rolling sidekicks (white dice) and eventually buy your superhero/supervillain dice to add to your bag by rolling the right combination of icons on the other dice. It can be hard to actually buy the higher level super heroes/villains, so it's recommended to have lower level cards available to play and that you get compatible teams made so that one superhero die can help you buy another. As far as the play goes, I don't find it as thematic as any of the others because I just see a dice with special faces on it. The card art is ok, but most of the cards for a particular superhero look the same art-wise.

Munchkin Marvel might also work for you. I've heard of several people using Munchkin as a learning-to-read tool as the text is short and usually funny. I'm not sure if you've played any munchkin before, but some of them have rather adult jokes/puns which might be awkward later on, but most kids will gloss right over. I haven't tried this version yet, but from what I've heard it isn't the best one that they've come up with. It might still work fine for you though.

Marvel Heroscape is expensive (around $50) for the set, so I don't blame you for passing on that one. It is much easier to learn than Heroclix though there are not as many choices on the figures to play. To my knowledge they never added more expansions to the Marvel Heroscape set so it would probably lose interest over the long haul anyway.

Let us know what you decide.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Millar
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mnfe wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like Heroscape is not going to be easy to find in my price range. I'm not sure I want to get into a collectible game like Heroclix, and we have Disney Infinity figures so just the characters themselves may be redundant.

So given that, would Marvel Legendary be easy enough for a 6-7 year old to pick up? Or is it a little more complex than that? I may need to see if our FLGS has it in their game library and give it a try, but I don't want to do that if there's just no chance.

I'll check out Risk too, but I'm not sure about the direct conflict component.


My 8 y/o at the time had zero problems with Legendary: Marvel. Since it's a co-op we just played hands open for a few games until she got the hang of it. Her favorite was Hawkeye.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Osterman
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is the game Sentinels of the Multiverse that does do a "you are this hero and this is your deck" thing but it's a new IP and not Captain America. That said some of the heroes have similar characterizations to Marvel and DC properties so it might get a bit of an itch scratched there.

It's co-op vs the villain deck but it's really balanced for 4 players and up. You can do 3 in a pinch. 2 is really hard.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.