Subject: A couple of quick rule and random questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of Glory to Rome, but like the simpler set up and ideas of Mottainai. We tried our first game today, and weren't sure we were doing it all right, though. Help us out!

1. There seemed to be a real scarcity of cards on the floor (playing with three). Is that common? Is the only way to get more cards onto the floor through discarding of old tasks (and maybe an item's effect)?

2. The third player seemed to start with an unfair advantage. During set up the original tasks were played face down, so we assumed that the first player could only take her own action and had to simply pray (or do nothing?) for the actions of the other players. The second player got to take the actions of the first player and his own. But the third player got to take three actions! How is the VERY FIRST ROUND supposed to play out when some players have face down task cards from the set up?

3. What is the printing error on some of the fan cards?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Working as intended.
2. This is compensation for first mover advantage. The first player does only take their own action and no one else's. If, as first player, you feel there is nothing you can do that will benefit you more than others, you can always choose to simply Pray as your action, deferring the important choice to player 2. As first player, though, you do get first pick from the floor, which as you noted before, can be somewhat sparse.
3. I believe the issue was that the back of the black Fan card had an imperfection that made it possible to identify from the top of the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear: because the other players do not yet have any tasks, the first player in the first turn has only the one action for his own task (or prayer).

It is generally the case that, if an opponent has no task, you gain no actions for it - not even prayer.

Noon step #1 on page 10: "If an opponent has no task, skip that player."

The only general case in which you get a prayer action without as task is when you yourself do not play a task in your turn.

Noon step #2 on page 10: "If you have no task, take one Prayer action instead."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
1. There seemed to be a real scarcity of cards on the floor (playing with three). Is that common?

I have only played with 2. In some games, the floor is empty a lot. In others, the floor is overflowing. It depends on whether works are built that add to, or remove from, the floor. Plus how many monk or potter actions players choose to use. I would guess the floor would tend to be emptier with 3 players.

Quote:
Is the only way to get more cards onto the floor through discarding of old tasks (and maybe an item's effect)?

I think so.

Quote:
2. The third player seemed to start with an unfair advantage.

In the first round, the first player will get one action (her own task). The second player will get 2 (his plus that of the first player). The third player will get 3. That's assuming everybody plays a task card rather than just praying without placing a task. I think that's generally a reasonable assumption for the first round.

However, the game ends IMMEDIATELY when someone triggers it. That makes it highly likely that the third player will get one less turn than the first player. The second player also has a 50/50 chance of getting one less turn.

I haven't played enough to decide whether those balance each other out, but I'm inclined to trust the designer and playtesters.

Quote:
3. What is the printing error on some of the fan cards?

As mentioned, some had marked backs. They packed replacements in all the boxes, because they couldn't tell which ones had the defect and which didn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys. I think we did get that one rule wrong and allowed players to pray for other player who had no task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
The floor is no more or less likely to be empty with three players in my experience. Some games, the floor just gets drained but others there can be plenty of cards there for most of the game. It just depends on the way the game plays out and that's one of the things I like most about this game; every game is quite different from the last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
The floor is no more or less likely to be empty with three players in my experience.

Same. It is, however, much more likely to be empty in Mottainai than in Glory to Rome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.