Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Goodman
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have written a few reviews of games during my time on the site. I will continue to write reviews even though I sometimes find the geekgold reward to be below what it should be (seriously people, how is it that on the geekgold scale from 1-5 that I only get like 2.5-3 gg for most of my reviews? and I put serious effort into it).

ANYWAYS, besides my issues with the system I like writing reviews for myself because it allows me to practise writing and it is also relaxing.

My question to the community is, should I ever think of rewriting a review of a game I have changed my opinion on over the years? I got into board games over a year and a half ago and have gotten to the point now where I feel like I have a better hold of what kind of games are out there. A game I loved when I started (like Sentinels of the Multiverse) might no longer be a favourite anymore because it simply isn't as good and I have found I don't want to pick it up anymore for some reasons I didn't bring up in my review.

My question is, is it worth going back to alter my review of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dragon
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
I tend to do a lot of reading and research about a game before making a purchase. The times I didn't, I tended to regret it. I would enjoy seeing a second review discussing about how a game ages, how other games with similar mechanics might have changed your opinion for good or for bad. If it out stays its welcome over a year or more. That's definitely a factor I consider in my purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always edit posts, and I've seen reviewers who add an additional section to their review. Of course, you could submit a new "Five years later" review and get a few more geek gold! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
You can always edit posts, and I've seen reviewers who add an additional section to their review. Of course, you could submit a new "Five years later" review and get a few more geek gold! whistle

Yeah, honestly I would prefer to read a "X years later" review - it's interesting to compare people original thoughts and how they have developed over a certain period of time. Says a lot about the games longevity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McKibbin
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not sure I'd go back and re-write or edit older reviews, but I'd actually be interested in reading a Games Re-visited type of review. Roger Ebert did something similar with his Movie Classics reviews. There were more than a few films which he was initially luke-warm about but which grew on him over the years. Theoretically, you could include excerpts of your original review to show where your opinion of the game has changed (i.e. "5 years ago I wrote "xyz" about Game X, but . . .")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.