Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport» Forums » General

Subject: 40 points quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xelian
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
What is your opinion of those quests?
Me and my group play a lot of Lords of Waterdeep (with both expansions). Usually 4 or 5 players. Sometimes 6. What have we found as a pattern is that in 5 or 6 player games the quests are quite often decisive to determine the winner of the game. Last time the margin between people with 40 point quests and those who didn't get one was more than 20 points. On a previous 4 player game a newcomer manage to beat us just because he run into 2 40 point quests. Despite the fact that he was given 4 mandatory quests. Although it is possible to win without them they seems to give quite a bit of advantage to the player who gets lucky to get them.

I've been thinking about reducing the score they give to 30 or 35. Anyone else had similar problems in their games? Or solutions? I've thought of removing them but it will fuck up the Lord counting on those type of quests (forgot the name)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
badge
Google "Gloom of Kilforth"!
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be game winners for sure. Not sure what the solution is to be honest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have a lot of expansion play experience, but players with a 40-point quest also tend to be the #1 target for intrigue cards. In my last game I was targeted three times in a row by cards that removed some crucial adventurers, so I couldn't finish the quest. By the time I could finally complete it, all other players had cruised past me, so I didn't really get that far ahead of them any more. I then lost in the final scoring because I hadn't completed as many quests as others.

So, yes, they can win the game for you, but it's usually a risky play, i.e. high-risk, high gain. They seem to be okay to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are many, many games in with the expansion and haven't seen too much adverse effect. Of course its still a big deal when one is drawn but I still believe the balance is there. There are obvious way to 'slow down' leaders - mandatory quests, blocking key placement positions, but even despite that and for example in our home games we don't even play with mandatory quests because of the 'meanness' factor and still manage.

As a matter of fact we had a recent game where my wife scored 3 x 40 point quests and still lost the game! Her undoing in this example was a fist full of corruption to complete those quests. The final score was, 250 - Me, 199 - my wife, 135 daughter - to busy texting shake

I dont know about larger play counts but we haven't had huge problems with 2, 3 and 4 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not had problems with 40 point quests. They take longer to get and if you're not targeted initially, after the first one you're more noticeable.
Sometimes the player with the 40 point quests wins, sometimes they don't.
I've played mostly 2 player or 4 player, never 5 or 6, so I can't say if that's any different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not noticed 40 point quests having an unbalancing effect on the game, but then I probably haven't played as many times as you and your group.
You could simply remove them from the game. Since there are only few of them I can't see how doing so would negatively effect the game-play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.