GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 59.89

4,304 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
27.1% of Goal | 29 Days Left

Support:

Paul D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
So I played my first ever game of LotR LCG yesterday using the Leadership Deck and, apart from concentrating on the order of play and what I can & can't do at what time, I came across a situation that I didn't see noted in the rules.
There were a couple of instances when I wasn't able to defeat an enemy in a single round and so it remained engaged with me into the following round (?). So I get to the questing phase of the next round, commit heroes to the quest and reveal another card from the encounter deck into the staging area. This card has a lower threat than me and so engages me on the next engagement check. This now means I have 2 enemies attacking me, one from the previous round and one from the current round.

1) Am I correct in thinking that undefeated enemies will carry over to the next round?

2) The new enemy gets a shadow card but does the previous one also get a 2nd shadow card? Do engaged enemies get a new shadow card in each round they remain engaged with you or do they just get the one at the time they come down from the staging area?

3) I assume the enemy from the previous round gets treated in the same way as the new enemy? ie declare defender, reveal shadow card (if applicable to old enemy), resolve damage etc.

Whilst I'm in the very early stages of this game and not knowing my best cards and tactics I should imagine it would be quite easy for this to snowball: unable to defeat both enemies in a single round so both carry over and a third comes down to join them in the next round etc

Clarification and any advice greatly received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
New shadow cards are dealt, resolved and discarded each round for all enemies engaged with players. So yes, this can snowball and is one of the problems of playing a deck with high starting threat.
And yes, for the purposes of attacking and defending it mostly doesn't matter whether the enemy just engaged you or has been engaged for five rounds already (except some enemies where card text explicitly says otherwise - for example, the Forest Spider from the first scenario gets +1 Attack for the duration of the round when it engages a player, but drops back down to its basic 2 Attack when the round ends).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1) Am I correct in thinking that undefeated enemies will carry over to the next round?

Yes, they will stay engaged with you until defeated

2) The new enemy gets a shadow card but does the previous one also get a 2nd shadow card? Do engaged enemies get a new shadow card in each round they remain engaged with you or do they just get the one at the time they come down from the staging area?

Yes, all enemies engaged with you will be dealt a shadow card (though note that a shadow card, after revealed, is discarded, so the enemy from the previous round will not have a shadow card until dealt a new shadow card in the current round...does that make sense?)

3) I assume the enemy from the previous round gets treated in the same way as the new enemy? ie declare defender, reveal shadow card (if applicable to old enemy), resolve damage etc.

Correct. Note that whatever damage you were able to inflict on the enemy from the previous round will remain there as well.

Whilst I'm in the very early stages of this game and not knowing my best cards and tactics I should imagine it would be quite easy for this to snowball: unable to defeat both enemies in a single round so both carry over and a third comes down to join them in the next round etc

This can definitely happen. That's why I find it nice to have a "chump blocker" (a low-cost ally to act as a defender) in play to take the hit from the enemy so my heroes and stronger allies can then deal out some damage and pick off some of the enemies.

Clarification and any advice greatly received. [/q]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

i'm also a new player (only played about 10 times solo and once with 4), but I think I can answer those:

1) Yes, engaged enemies remain engaged until you defeat them. Damage also carries over from round to round. (side note: you'll find some cards/events with the effect of 'disengage' enemies);

2) shadow cards are revealed for all engaged enemies. Shadow Cards and its efected are discarded at the end of the combat;

3) the steps are all teh same for all engaged enemies, independent if they are new or old ones.

I'm also experiencing the snowball effect, not only from the enemies that remain on stage, but also the locations, because everything that is on the staging area will potentially increase your threat level, if you don't invest on questing, but then you don't have the heroes to deal with the enemies... well then there's where the deck building part comes into....

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumblesdad wrote:

Yes - in the absence of other effects, once an enemy is engaged with you, it stays there until you defeat it or are eliminated.

Quote:

The old shadow card should be discarded at the end of the Combat phase of the turn when it was dealt. Then, when you get to that stage of the new turn's Combat phase, every enemy engaged with you gets a new shadow card.

Quote:

Yes, but note that you do each stage to all enemies before going on to the next stage - i.e. deal shadow cards to all enemies engaged with you, then resolve their attacks one by one in the order you choose, then attack each one-by-one in the order you choose. You don't completely handle one enemy (shadow, defend, attack) before moving to the next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also want to add a couple of good references for new players:

[geekurl=https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/new-player-guides/]Tales from the Cards New Player Guides[/geekurl]

and

[geekurl=https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/lotr-lcg/support/LotR-FAQ.pdf]FFG LotR LCG FAQ[/geekurl]

(may feel overwhelming at first to look here, but can help)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adventurous Moose

LOUISVILLE
KY - Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmb
Bumblesdad wrote:

Yes

Bumblesdad wrote:

Defending works in the following way - Give shadow cards to each enemy engaged with a player from highest threat to lowest. Pick one enemy to complete combat, choose a defender, reveal/resolve shadow card, determine combat damage. Repeat the process of picking enemies until all enemies have attacked.

At the end of the entire combat phase (defending/attacking) you then discard all shadow cards that were dealt that round.

This process happens for each enemy engaged and happens every time irrespective of the time in which they engaged a player from the staging area.

Bumblesdad wrote:

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricking

Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a follow up question to this area: If an enemy remains engaged with a player until the following round, does the threat level of that engaged enemy figure into the questing calculation for the next round? I think it does not since it is no longer in the staging area but just wanted to confirm this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricking wrote:
I had a follow up question to this area: If an enemy remains engaged with a player until the following round, does the threat level of that engaged enemy figure into the questing calculation for the next round? I think it does not since it is no longer in the staging area but just wanted to confirm this.

That's correct, engaged enemies do not count threat for questing.
Engaged enemies are moved from the staging area to the front of the engaged player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul D
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification guys. I fully understand now. Hope to have another game today. Be prepared for more questions.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alicia
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumblesdad wrote:
Thanks for the clarification guys. I fully understand now. Hope to have another game today. Be prepared for more questions.....

After a few games, the rules and flow of the game all click, and you can fully focus on strategy and deck building. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.