Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Trog War Party Token rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does the ratio of the Trog War Party Token affect the balance of the 4 player game?

It seem that Trog doesn't need to play recruit and just simply moving around the map revealing his Trog token.

From the rules:
If a Trog Unit enters a Region with a Trog War Party/ Nest token, immediately reveal the token and place all Crystals and Trog Units as usual. These Units are available to the Trog player for use, even during
the current Movement Action if there are remaining Movement Points.

Which mean Trog doesn't need to end their movement on the region where there is Trog token?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules meant "when a Trog Unit ends its movement in a Region (...)".

Yes, they have to move around. They need to spend more movement and their forces are more scattered, they cannot plan as precisely, as other factions. Different style of playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's correct but it balances out in several ways though.

Yes, there strong in the beginning, getting lots of units on the board very fast.

But...

They only receive half the points of crystals when scoring.

And as the game progresses, they might get spread so hard that they are in the minority in battles a lot, making them an interesting target to attack. And that being said, when they are attacked in multiple regions in one round, they only have that many cards in hand to use in all those battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
From my experience, even halving the crystals for scoring, the Trogs score insane amounts of points early game. Once early game is over that goes down, unfortunately if by scoring a lot of points early they make the game shorter(by moving event tokens) it is very hard to catch up to them and win. The Trogs have a 100 percent win ratio in all of my 4 player games, lol. One of them I actually tied them at the end, but the promo cards won it for them(which I didn't care for, so they won't be used again).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other players should make sure the Trogs don't get the chance to keep scoring big. It's also cool to slow them down is capturing some of their units. If they have no units in their reserve, they can't place them

I'm at 6 games now (of which four 4 player games) and the Trogs still have to win their first time (they were pretty close twice but were defeated by Humans once and once by Pilgrims).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
VetruvianGamer wrote:
Other players should make sure the Trogs don't get the chance to keep scoring big.

This is key. If the other 3 players spend the early game just squabbling amongst each other, the Trogs can crush them all. If they allow this to happen, they get what they deserve.

After the first couple of rounds of a triple-team against the Trogs, things are much more even between the factions. However, my experience has been that the Trogs may still get crushed. In any kind of 'dudes on a map' game like this (certainly not just Cry Havoc), the number one strategic mistake that you can make is to rush out to a commanding early lead. It makes you Public Enemy #1 in the eyes of every other player. Inevitably, at least one player will hold onto this mindset even after you've been neutralized, and you'll not stand a chance toward the endgame.

Unfortunately for the Trog player in Cry Havoc, you have no real choice but to rush out to an early lead, based on the dynamics of the game. So as the Trog player, one of your important tasks is to keep the others aware of who is the strongest (non-Trog) player at the table. Sow the seeds of doubt and paranoia. Pit the others against each other as early and often as possible. Don't just play the game; play the players.
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of good comments, just some quick notes. Trogs should only use Recruit late game if they have excess in the reserve and no tokens to manipulate. Early on, simply moving INTo a region triggers the token, which means you are the pied piper of death. The Trogs build a roving posse.

As others noted, early success is countered with half point crystals and a weak pool of structures from which to choose. The Trogs are also beset on all sides, which makes it tough for them to fight well (aka use many tactics) in battles.

A Trog player left alone is a happy Trog player. I always tell players when I demo to poke your neighbors enough to upset their plans. Don't let them get fat, dumb, and comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrohGrant wrote:
I always tell players when I demo to poke your neighbors enough to upset their plans. Don't let them get fat, dumb, and comfortable.

That is a great bit of advice for the game in general, and (though I haven't read up in detail on the threads yet) I suspect something that those crying "the Humans are OP" should listen to. When we played our first game we went for 3 ability cards as we're all experienced gamers and I got the scouting card and got ahead as the Humans really quickly. By about 20 points. I even started apologising and saying maybe we should have gone for one card just to feel out each faction, but hey, it was the first game.

Then I realised the huge target I had painted on my forehead and the ganking started.

I got battered, thoroughly - that mobility in taking regions is no good if you can't get troops there to keep them. Especially true as the Pilgrims have teleporting troop mobility and the Machines can deploy stright to the field.

I finished second, but we were all relatively close. Each faction has their own strengths and if you let any faction run on its strength then they will be powerful - just the same as any asymetric or tech-development game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad-Halfling wrote:
HerrohGrant wrote:
I always tell players when I demo to poke your neighbors enough to upset their plans. Don't let them get fat, dumb, and comfortable.

That is a great bit of advice for the game in general, and (though I haven't read up in detail on the threads yet) I suspect something that those crying "the Humans are OP" should listen to. When we played our first game we went for 3 ability cards as we're all experienced gamers and I got the scouting card and got ahead as the Humans really quickly. By about 20 points. I even started apologising and saying maybe we should have gone for one card just to feel out each faction, but hey, it was the first game.

Then I realised the huge target I had painted on my forehead and the ganking started.

I got battered, thoroughly - that mobility in taking regions is no good if you can't get troops there to keep them. Especially true as the Pilgrims have teleporting troop mobility and the Machines can deploy stright to the field.

I finished second, but we were all relatively close. Each faction has their own strengths and if you let any faction run on its strength then they will be powerful - just the same as any asymetric or tech-development game.

Great notes. Yeah, don't let anyone execute their grand plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So let's say the Trog player spends the first rounds' actions running around the map trigger as many War Party Tokens as they can. During this they are moving through, but not stopping, regions with Exploration Tokens.

Do the new placed Trog Units, from the War Party Tokens, activate the Exploration Tokens? The Trog player didn't end their movement in the region their units were just placed there.

Am I reading the Exploration Token rule to literally? Do they just active in the regions that have Units at the end of the movement action? It doesn't have to be the Units that you actually moved to trigger them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
XShrike wrote:
So let's say the Trog player spends the first rounds' actions running around the map trigger as many War Party Tokens as they can. During this they are moving through, but not stopping, regions with Exploration Tokens.

Do the new placed Trog Units, from the War Party Tokens, activate the Exploration Tokens? The Trog player didn't end their movement in the region their units were just placed there.

Am I reading the Exploration Token rule to literally? Do they just active in the regions that have Units at the end of the movement action? It doesn't have to be the Units that you actually moved to trigger them.

Some Units must finish the Action in the Region to resolve the Discovery tokens. If you have Units remaining in the Region at the end of your action, regardless of how they got there, you resolve it. If Units are not there, because they exited the Region, you do not resolve it. Simple as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.