Popular Tags: [View All]
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there anyone who can make a comparison between Cry Havoc and Forbidden Stars based on experience with both games?

They same to scratch a similar itch.

I currently own neither.

Looking forward to your opinions.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought forbidden stars was an updated version of Starcraft i guess i know nothing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That was discussed pretty extensively in one of the threads during the pre order phase about a month back. On my phone and not sure which, but that was tackled!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They play very differently.

Both are worth owning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FS is a longer game, 5 hours with 4 players at times. The battle mechanics are different and FS has some of the best battle mechanics I have seen in a game. Also FS will be going cheap as FFG are no longer making Games Workshop games anymore (FS has dropped by $40 already in my country). I have FS and will be getting Cry Havoc, they are different enough to have both if you can afford it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alwin wrote:
Is there anyone who can make a comparison between Cry Havoc and Forbidden Stars based on experience with both games?

I currently own neither.

Thanks!

They are so, so, different it is almost not possible to have more different games. I know, there are similiarities, cards, decks you modify as you play and miniatures. But that's it. Cry Havoc is much simpler and faster (which is not bad), Forbidden Stars is much more complex but also much more modular, has dice and chances for bluffing. And I would never play it with more than 2 players, whereas Cry Havoc seems to work well with higher player count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
Forbidden Stars is actually my favorite game at this point. I am not taking anything away from Cry Havoc, because I really enjoy this game as well. Although both are technically in the same genre of game, they both play very different. FS has that Starcraft/RTS feel to it and Cry Havoc feels more like a war/Skirmish game. You can build buildings, but I have seen people win without ever building a building. FS you have to build buildings to get your economy going, as well to allow you to unlock new units. The way you play out the "action" phases are way different as well. They both have combat, but the way combat is handled is completely different. I will add that both FS and CH have my favorite combat systems of these style of games. They are both different enough that you can own both and not feel like you are playing the same game. I find this genre of game has some really good ones that all bring something different to the table. I actually just posted a "discussion" I did with my game group where we talk about our top picks for this genre and who likes what better and why. If you cant find the thread here is a link https://boardgamegumbo.wordpress.com/2016/09/09/board-game-b...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
borsook wrote:
Alwin wrote:

I currently own neither.

Thanks!

They are so, so, different it is almost not possible to have more different games. I know, there are similiarities, cards, decks you modify as you play and miniatures. But that's it. Cry Havoc is much simpler and faster (which is not bad), Forbidden Stars is much more complex but also much more modular, has dice and chances for bluffing. And I would never play it with more than 2 players, whereas Cry Havoc seems to work well with higher player count.

Hmmm. Interesting, I find 3 player my favorite player count with FS. I think people over exaggerate the game length for multiplayer games. We usually play a 3 player game in about 4 hours. Which is long, but not crazy long like some people claim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikolaj Witkowski
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Pathosis wrote:
borsook wrote:
Alwin wrote:

I currently own neither.

Thanks!

Hmmm. Interesting, I find 3 player my favorite player count with FS. I think people over exaggerate the game length for multiplayer games. We usually play a 3 player game in about 4 hours. Which is long, but not crazy long like some people claim.

It's not really about game length, more about combat. It can a bit of time, especially with players who like to ponder each move and if you get two players going at each other having 2-3 battles in the same turn (it not that rare) the rest of the players get incredibly bored. Considering the fact that the rest of the game has little down-time and you watch closely what others are doing I prefer it with 2 players, then there is zero down-time. And with only 4 factions, playing just players gives you a decent variety between games. BTW the shortest FS game still easily is twice as long as Cry Havoc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alwin Derijck
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Great input!

Thanks a lot.

Just ordered FS and will leave CH on my wish list.

PS: from a TI3 point of view FS can't be that long
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
FS will be going cheap as FFG are no longer making Games Workshop games anymore (FS has dropped by $40 already in my country)

I don't think this is going to continue to be the case. If you can find them that cheap, buy them now. Forbidden Stars will greatly increase in value even by next year, as the supply dries up. This isn't necessarily true of all discontinued games. But it will be true for FS, since it's widely regarded as a great game design with fantastic production values. If anything, the fact that it's discontinued should actually raise the demand as gamers try to get ahold of it before it's gone. Higher demand + diminishing supply = rising prices.

Anyway, regarding the original post, these two games don't really scratch the same itch at all for me. They're both fantastic, and both worth owning. But aside from the fact that they're both 'dudes on a map' style games, they have more differences than they have similarities. They're just two very different designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Gaia
France
Asnières
flag msg tools
designer
Being a Geek is a sure sign of a sound mind, cause it means you think that life as it is is dull and should be more interesting. Which it is.
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both, have played both.
FS will soon see its price rise and that's great news cause it's the one I'm gonna sell. No cult of the new there, just the fact that Cry Havoc scales better for two and (IMHO) has more interesting/fresh mechanics.

But don't mistake me: FS is a great game, it's just that Cry Havoc is one hell of a masterpiece!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.