$18.00
GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters: 53.61

3,945 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
24.9% of Goal | 30 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Mayday Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the article on BGG about Zev Shlasinger suing Dan Yarrington, I found a link to the Geeklist Game Salute: A Cautionary Tale which in turn lead me to the Geeklist Mayday Games: A Cautionary Tale. Both of these are pretty old lists with no posts since about 2013. However, I saw a thread about a month ago (sorry no link) where someone asked about Mayday Games and watched as people just piled on to criticize and insult the company for how terrible it is.

I've no experience with Game Salute, having never backed any of their projects on Kickstarter but Mayday is a company that I've now backed 3 separate times for AssassinCon, Twist of Fate, and Nerdy Inventions. I've never had any issues with them. It's kind of disappointing to see how hated they are. In the thread for Mayday Games: A Cautionary Tale, the company and owner just got trounced. It wasn't even a reasoned discussion. BGG basically did their equivalent of burning Seth Hiatt at the stake.

AssassinCon delivered in July of 2016 about 2-3 weeks later than the June 2016 delivery. I only just got around to playing the game about a week and a half to two weeks ago. The standees were a bit subpar in terms of quality. The bottoms of the cardboard standees don't appear to be pressed together very well which made it very difficult to put them into their plastic stands without the bottoms separating. That said, the game was quite inexpensive, only $33 USD including shipping. It's definitely a bit disappointing but nothing that couldn't be resolved with careful assembly and definitely didn't hinder the ability to play at all.

Twist of Fate ($10 USD) is a card based game inspired by Oliver Twist due to deliver in December 2016. Communication has been excellent, just as it was with AssassinCon.

Nerdy Inventions ($18 USD) is a dice and card based game inspired by the legendary feud between Edison and Tesla. It's scheduled to deliver in January 2017. Again, communication has been great. I even sent Seth a message and received a response back within 24 hours.

So far I've had no issues with the company. The three biggest complaints I keep seeing are related to Crokinole, card sleeves, and late deliveries. The Crokinole fiasco appears to be largely due to inexperience. The card sleeves issue, well I don't know much about card sleeves but I've seen where most people appear to be quite happy with the quality of the Mayday sleeves. As to the late deliveries, well I hate late deliveries as well but it seems pretty much par for the course when it comes to Kickstarter. I'm still waiting on my delivery of The Others from CMON which was supposed to be delivered 6 months ago in March, and CMON is a major player with ample experience with Kickstarter.

TLDR: I don't get all the hate for Mayday Games. In my experience, their communication is excellent and turnaround time on their Kickstarter campaigns is acceptable, if not better than many other game publishers. In my opinion, based on all the comments I read, Mayday had a bit of a rough time when they first started that appears to be the basis for the bulk of the animosity toward them.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
TLDR: I don't get all the hate for Mayday Games. In my experience, their communication is excellent and turnaround time on their Kickstarter campaigns is acceptable, if not better than many other game publishers. In my opinion, based on all the comments I read, Mayday had a bit of a rough time when they first started that appears to be the basis for the bulk of the animosity toward them.


You registered here on BGG in 2015. I came along in 2010 and I still don't consider myself a veteran having met and played with people with 10 years more experience than me.

Point is, Mayday's problems go back and they were real and they were huge. The fiasco I remember was with their Crokinole boards and outright dishonesty. What I remember wasn't incompetence or human error which is far too often mistaken as dishonesty. You can google it to get more info, although I see some of the important stuff has been unfortunately deleted from the site.

Yes, at some point a company should be able to get out of the dog house. Maybe Mayday has been behaving itself and it's a great company. I don't know. I picked up one of their games several months ago without hesitation.

But you need to be aware of the history before dismissing other people's grievances, especially when those grievances are based on unethical behavior. Did Mayday ever fess up and make things right with the the people they wronged? I don't know. To me that would be the turning point when they should get a fresh start without all the hate. But I'm not aware that ever took place. I'd love to know from some long timers with more knowledge to chime in on that point.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben R
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
no posts since about 2013.


morris9597 wrote:
based on all the comments I read, Mayday had a bit of a rough time when they first started


These 2 statements confuse me when trying to determine the reason for your post. I appreciate sticking up for the little guy, but I think you identified the fact that it may no longer be a relevant issue...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:
Quote:
TLDR: I don't get all the hate for Mayday Games. In my experience, their communication is excellent and turnaround time on their Kickstarter campaigns is acceptable, if not better than many other game publishers. In my opinion, based on all the comments I read, Mayday had a bit of a rough time when they first started that appears to be the basis for the bulk of the animosity toward them.


You registered here on BGG in 2015. I came along in 2010 and I still don't consider myself a veteran having met and played with people with 10 years more experience than me.

Point is, Mayday's problems go back and they were real and they were huge. The fiasco I remember was with their Crokinole boards and outright dishonesty. What I remember wasn't incompetence or human error which is far too often mistaken as dishonesty. You can google it to get more info, although I see some of the important stuff has been unfortunately deleted from the site.

Yes, at some point a company should be able to get out of the dog house. Maybe Mayday has been behaving itself and it's a great company. I don't know. I picked up one of their games several months ago without hesitation.

But you need to be aware of the history before dismissing other people's grievances, especially when those grievances are based on unethical behavior. Did Mayday ever fess up and make things right with the the people they wronged? I don't know. To me that would be the turning point when they should get a fresh start without all the hate. But I'm not aware that ever took place. I'd love to know from some long timers with more knowledge to chime in on that point.


Not dismissing anyone's grievances. I never said anyone was wrong. I explained I don't understand it. I did actually Google Seth's previous endeavor EmpireBoardGames.com and couldn't find any information on them. They appear to have gone under, which I believe was mentioned in the Mayday - A Cautionary Tale Geeklist, but I couldn't find anything official - such as a press release - as to why. I even did a Google search on Seth Hiatt and aside from old BGG threads lambasting him, couldn't find anything. I did not do a search for Crokinole yet, but that is a good suggestion which I'll definitely do.

The thing is, most of the information I'm finding is all anecdotal from people on BGG. They don't actually present any evidence for anything, they just claim something happened. They present no email chain, no photos, no records. Most of the major complaints appear to be old, but as I said above, I still see a fair amount of hostility toward them when the topic of "Is Mayday Games a good company?" There was a thread on the topic about a month ago and I saw a number of people call them "scam artists", "frauds", "dishonest", "liars", and a whole litany of other insults. Granted, if you were one of the people that were wronged by Mayday during the Crokinole debacle, I can understand the hostility. However, at the same time, as you said, there's got to be a statute of limitations right? I mean if Mayday games took people's criticisms to heart and has changed their business practices should we really continue to hold their failures against them? Or at the very least, if you (in the general not the specific "you") wish to continue to criticize, then shouldn't you offer more context than "They're dishonest, scam artists"? Perhaps stating "3 years ago Mayday did XYZ and I've not bought from them since" would be more helpful. Certainly it'd be more informative.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BentlyCash wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
no posts since about 2013.


morris9597 wrote:
based on all the comments I read, Mayday had a bit of a rough time when they first started


These 2 statements confuse me when trying to determine the reason for your post. I appreciate sticking up for the little guy, but I think you identified the fact that it may no longer be a relevant issue...


It is and it isn't. Surely the Mayday - A Cautionary Tale Geeklists appears to have died. However, I've still noted a fair amount of hostility toward the company. As above, about a month ago there was a thread wherein someone asked if Mayday was a reputable company and a whole host of people went on to the thread to slam the company and it's owner.

Seeing as how my own personal experience differs drastically from what seems to be the consensus on BGG I'm curious as to why. Obviously there were some people who had a great experience with Bernie Madoff even though we now know he was an absolute crook. Perhaps I'm just one of those fortunate enough to have not yet been burned by Mayday?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
morris9597 wrote:
The thing is, most of the information I'm finding is all anecdotal from people on BGG. They don't actually present any evidence for anything, they just claim something happened. They present no email chain, no photos, no records.

Oh, keep reading. There is some deleted content from these threads, but email chain, photos, records aplenty on the Crokinole adventure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/629733/mayday-games-crokino...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/mayday-games-crokino...
http://superflycircus.blogspot.ca/2011/03/mayday-games-croki...

morris9597 wrote:
Most of the major complaints appear to be old, but as I said above, I still see a fair amount of hostility toward them when the topic of "Is Mayday Games a good company?" There was a thread on the topic about a month ago and I saw a number of people call them "scam artists", "frauds", "dishonest", "liars", and a whole litany of other insults. Granted, if you were one of the people that were wronged by Mayday during the Crokinole debacle, I can understand the hostility. However, at the same time, as you said, there's got to be a statute of limitations right? I mean if Mayday games took people's criticisms to heart and has changed their business practices should we really continue to hold their failures against them? Or at the very least, if you (in the general not the specific "you") wish to continue to criticize, then shouldn't you offer more context than "They're dishonest, scam artists"? Perhaps stating "3 years ago Mayday did XYZ and I've not bought from them since" would be more helpful. Certainly it'd be more informative.

No, there's no statute of limitations on dicking over customers in my book. Especially when the people responsible have never been open or forthright about said dicking.

Off the top of my head, here's what Seth can say: "Most customers were happy, but Mayday treated some customers badly and even dishonestly in the early years of the company. It was a bad way to run my business, and I know I lost some customers for good. I regret it, and I apologize. I've turned over a new leaf. These aren't just words: the last several years of fair and honest dealings are proof of that. Not every customer can be 100% satisfied, but today's Mayday is open and straightforward in communicating with everyone. Those of you who have rejected us for years, I ask that you reconsider."
5 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
morris9597 wrote:
The thing is, most of the information I'm finding is all anecdotal from people on BGG. They don't actually present any evidence for anything, they just claim something happened. They present no email chain, no photos, no records.

Oh, keep reading. There is some deleted content from these threads, but email chain, photos, records aplenty on the Crokinole adventure.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/629733/mayday-games-crokino...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/630824/mayday-games-crokino...
http://superflycircus.blogspot.ca/2011/03/mayday-games-croki...

morris9597 wrote:
Most of the major complaints appear to be old, but as I said above, I still see a fair amount of hostility toward them when the topic of "Is Mayday Games a good company?" There was a thread on the topic about a month ago and I saw a number of people call them "scam artists", "frauds", "dishonest", "liars", and a whole litany of other insults. Granted, if you were one of the people that were wronged by Mayday during the Crokinole debacle, I can understand the hostility. However, at the same time, as you said, there's got to be a statute of limitations right? I mean if Mayday games took people's criticisms to heart and has changed their business practices should we really continue to hold their failures against them? Or at the very least, if you (in the general not the specific "you") wish to continue to criticize, then shouldn't you offer more context than "They're dishonest, scam artists"? Perhaps stating "3 years ago Mayday did XYZ and I've not bought from them since" would be more helpful. Certainly it'd be more informative.

No, there's no statute of limitations on dicking over customers in my book. Especially when the people responsible have never been open or forthright about said dicking.

Off the top of my head, here's what Seth can say: "Most customers were happy, but Mayday treated some customers badly and even dishonestly in the early years of the company. It was a bad way to run my business, and I know I lost some customers for good. I regret it, and I apologize. I've turned over a new leaf. These aren't just words: the last several years of fair and honest dealings are proof of that. Not every customer can be 100% satisfied, but today's Mayday is open and straightforward in communicating with everyone. Those of you who have rejected us for years, I ask that you reconsider."


Yeah, I've been reading a lot. I think the bulk of the issues are straight up incompetence, not intentional deceit and/or fraud.

Their shipping practices were clearly atrocious and their attempt at saving money by having people ship out damaged boards to those who wanted said damaged boards, was clearly misguided. I still don't think it was intentional fraud though. I keep seeing the same 3 names pop up as the source for the customers sending damaged boards to other customers at Mayday's behest. I tend to think they got the short end of the stick, but at the same time, Mayday appears to have refunded them in full and allowed them to keep the game.

The quality issues look like they were corrected a few years ago, but that the first batch or two were just horrendously produced which caused a lot of issues. I still think Mayday cheaps out on production, but their overall business model seems to be mass production of games for as little as possible, which explains the lower quality of their components. Seth Hiatt even stated their goal was to produce a Crokinole board with 80% of the quality of a high end board but at 50% the cost. He clearly failed hard at that endeavor when he first attempted it, but appears to have figured out what he was doing after the first couple batches. Is that a poor way to conduct business? No doubt. Is it fraudulent? Not if he's offering replacements and/or refunds, which from everything I can see, he did.

I also think his attempts to defend himself were misguided and poor service. I work in a customer based industry. If you screw up, regardless of reasoning, you just apologize and correct the issue, you don't offer explanation because at the end of the day, the customer does not care why you screwed up. Just fix it and the customer typically goes away happy.

I'm not going to claim to have read every single post nor looked at every photo, but from all those posts I did read and all the photos I saw, it appears to me that Seth was woefully inexperienced and rather incompetent in his attempts to mass produce Crokinole. However, I think he's since gained a great deal of experience and learned much from his utter mishandling of Crokinole. I wouldn't expect anyone who went through that Crokinole madness to ever do business with him again, I know if it were me I likely wouldn't, but I also feel like they should provide more context than "he's a fraud" when people ask about Mayday.

That said, I'll wait to see what happens with the two games I've backed and am still waiting on. Mayday still doesn't seem to have great quality control but their games are rather enjoyable, at least in my experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick
United States
Savage
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
When people have a bad experience with a company they will often never return. The Crokinole saga was a big deal for many (I was not involved with that). Considering Crokinole is the #57 game on BGG and the #1 dexterity game if you mess it up you will anger a lot of people.

I had used their sleeves in the past and they split all the time on me. I switched to FFG sleeves and never looked back.

It's quite possible (as you seem to have experienced) that they do a fine job now. But it would take more than doing a "good" or "average" experience for many to return to them.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Placed a 100$ order for mayday sleeves yesterday. Their products are fine with me, though their games never look appealing.

Oh and I made a couple hundred bucks reselling viceroy kickstarters so . . . someone must like their games.

But the thing is, the hostility is a vocal minority. And it's one whose mind you're never going to change so like . . . it's good for you to post your positive thoughts, but trying to change how any of them feel and react to what has happened WILL completely derail the point you're seeing and trying to make, which is that today they're doing a pretty good job.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Placed a 100$ order for mayday sleeves yesterday. Their products are fine with me, though their games never look appealing.

Oh and I made a couple hundred bucks reselling viceroy kickstarters so . . . someone must like their games.

But the thing is, the hostility is a vocal minority. And it's one whose mind you're never going to change so like . . . it's good for you to post your positive thoughts, but trying to change how any of them feel and react to what has happened WILL completely derail the point you're seeing and trying to make, which is that today they're doing a pretty good job.


Yeah, I don't blame them for being angry. I would be too. They're definitely within their rights to boycott the company and speak their minds, but I think it does a disservice to everyone when no context is provided and it's just a litany of insults hurled at the company. It took digging down to Threads and Geeklists starting in 2009 to figure out why Mayday has a bad reputation with a fair number of Geeks. It saves so much work if people would just provide a direct answer with some context. For example:

"In 2011 Mayday attempted a mass production and distribution of Crokinole. A large number of those games were defective and in the process of having customers return the games, Mayday provided return labels to send defective Crokinole games to other customers. At best this was gross incompetence and at worst it was intentional fraud. As such I won't ever buy anything from them or Seth Hiatt."

3 sentences and 6 lines of text (at least in the QuickQuote composition window). It's not hard and it gives a very brief description of what happened. It's matter of fact and information without being insulting.

Side Note: I actually bought a secondhand copy of Viceroy for like $20 and when I got it discovered it was completely sleeved. Awesome! I still haven't played it though and this was back in June...... whistle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Grozdanich

Santa Clara
CA California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the most recent fiasco for them was Dead Man's Draw.

There was a stretch goal to upgrade the card stock, which did not actually happen on the delivered game. They also said they corrected a card mistake and yet once again that didn't happen.

I don't think the hate is purely deserved. Going back on a stretch goal is a bit of a mess, but the game plays fine and was delivered ahead of schedule. It's been giving them a bit of a headache though I've noticed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes a lot was incompetence, but also how he treated people when they tried to work things out.

Remember Mayday is hit third or forth company.

Hopefully he has learned as his one has been doing much better then his previous companies.

But at the various times there were plenty of emails and photos. I don't personally keep decade old emails and links to threads that old.

SPHiatt was one too, as well as i believe some company that I think had RC in the name. Both of which were incompetent and had aggressive and attacking customer service instead of calm and helping customer service.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guantanamo wrote:
Yes a lot was incompetence, but also how he treated people when they tried to work things out.

Remember Mayday is hit third or forth company.

Hopefully he has learned as his one has been doing much better then his previous companies.

But at the various times there were plenty of emails and photos. I don't personally keep decade old emails and links to threads that old.

SPHiatt was one too, as well as i believe some company that I think had RC in the name. Both of which were incompetent and had aggressive and attacking customer service instead of calm and helping customer service.


I did actually see a lot of his responses and he really did handle it poorly. Perhaps the Crokinole debacle was a good learning experience for him. As I understand, he got into the industry right out of college. Many, if not most college age "kids" I know have a bit of a chip on their shoulder which could have been a big contributor to the failure of his first 2-3 businesses. If that's the case though, he's a bit of a slow learner because I saw that same arrogance come through in his responses with Crokinole. I really have no idea though. What I do know is, whatever he's doing now seems to be working. I got hand it to him, he's definitely not a quitter. One tenacious dude.

Regardless of all of that though, by all means hate on Mayday all you (general) want but please offer the rest of us some context as to why.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My issue with Mayday is their seeming business model of getting the cheapest product and fixing the quality problems later.

My experience was with their sleeves for 7 Wonders. I hadn't used theirs before and thought the sleeves with different colors would look nice, if they fit. (I knew about their reputation going in but thought I'd give them a try.) The ones I bought were extremely inconsistent and couldn't get anywhere near all of the cards sleeved. I contacted them and they sent me a new set. There still weren't enough properly sized to take care of the cards. They then refunded me my money.

Some might say this was good customer service because they tried to make it right and gave me my money back in the end. However, this story seems to be repeated with regularity. This means that they are not that interested in having good enough quality to make it right the first time without having to correct it on the back end. they have to know the lack of quality in their product. For everyone like me who contacted them and started their customer service routine there are likely multiples of people either buy more sleeves to try to get enough or just throw them in the garbage because it's not worth the effort to get fixed.

That's a conscious decision on Mayday's part. They have figured that the numbers are better for them to put poor quality items up for sale and deal with it on the back end for those who bother to take the time than to try and get it right up front.

That's their right, but I don't appreciate it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, anyone with any problems at all related to any of our products, please open up a support ticket at maydaygames.com or just email to support@maydaygames.com and Curt will be happy to help you out.

Those of you re-reading old threads about our very first edition Crokinole boards from 2011, please know that there are two sides to every story. You can read our reply at:

http://www.blog.maydaygames.com/mayday-speaks-out/

Yes this is 5 years old now, but hey, if you want to know what happened there it is. We produced another batch of Crokinole boards in 2012 and even ran this Kickstarter and quickly sold out of our 2013 boards too.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/crokinole-g...

You can see lots of pictures and read the comments of backers there if you're interested. Yes the first batch had some issues and none of them have been perfect, but we stand behind our games and every single person who has purchased a crokinole board from us has gotten their board or a replacement or a full refund at their option. If there is one person out there who hasn't, please let us know because even though its been 3 years since our last board, we still stand behind them.

I will say too that we haven't been idle on Crokinole for the last 3 years, we have been searching for the right balance of quality to value and are very close to releasing a new board. We get emails every week from people asking us to do another board and the wait will soon be over.

For those of you looking for accountability on our 30+ kickstarters take a look at this open spreadsheet that we keep updated:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bkBCeeQtxuCHymJ3-L1B...

Nerdy Inventions and Twist of Fate we expect to deliver very soon and they will be early, though Voodoo is late. Future projects are still being worked on but we expect them to be on time or early, though of course we always expect that and things sometimes don't work that way.

Let me just say that we have made lots of mistakes over the years, especially from 2009 to 2011. We have never intentionally cheated anyone and everyone who has asked has gotten replacements or refunds on everything we have ever made.

Now Ryan is the President of Mayday Games and has been for a couple of years, and our supporting staff and systems are a lot better than they used to be. We are sorry to all who have suffered from our bad mistakes, poor judgement and especially my stupidity and arrogance. I have done some really dumb things in the past and I know not having enough or more qualified supporting staff was a big part of our incompetence in the past.

I ask your forgiveness for these errors. I don't doubt that we may well fail in whole new ways in the future, but at least I have learned from my past mistakes and I can see the community has generally been willing to give us another chance. I can say that our sales are up, our catalog is strong and that we plan to be around a long time yet, thanks to people like Ryan, Daniel, Curt and Allison, to name a few.

If you see one of them or me at a convention or have occasion to stop by our office/warehouse in Utah, please say hello and let's hug it out.

And please, if any of you have any bones to pick open a support ticket. If you want to yell at me personally please email me directly at seth@maydaygames and I'll listen.

Let me just finish by saying that Mayday does NOT monitor BGG much so if you have a complaint please let us know directly and we will do all we can to solve it.

1 
 Thumb up
10.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So here's my story about Mayday Games.

Earlier this October I ordered some of their animeeples through Amazon but fufilled directly by Mayday. The listing itself had an oddity - the image was of some other game so I was going to pass it by even though the listing text itself, description and reviews were for the wooden pieces I was after, until I saw one of the reviews specifically mentioned the image was incorrect, not to order if you wanted the card game, because you'd get meeples. Fair enough I thought, it happens, maybe they hadn't had time to fix the picture or weren't able, or it was some kind of weird image cache bug. Odder things have happened and meeples are what I'm after so I should be fine. Placed an order. You can probably guess where this is heading...

What arrived (timely, I might add, to be fair) was indeed the card game in the listing's picture instead of wooden animals described in the title, text, and reviews. Understandably I contacted customer service asking how to return the items shipped and get the game pieces I had expected.

The first reply was not very promising; I was told by Curt that the listing was incorrect, the merchandise I wanted was more expensive and they'd get back to me on how to return the card games. We went through a few rounds of politely stating our positions - Mayday's was that the listing was wrong and I hadn't paid enough for the items I wanted. My position was that based on the page I ordered from, any reasonable person would expect they were getting meeples, given the only inconsistency was the image and one of the reviews explicitly stated the image was wrong. As for the price, multiple listings for the same product on Amazon is quite common, hardly something that would tell me I was buying a different product.

I was also questioned about if I actually needed the items I'd ordered or not. (?!?? Yes? Why would I have bought them otherwise...) Have to admit I found that a bit, well, rude, but it could be I'm just a bit of an oversensitive Canadian. At this point I was pretty much figuring that I'd have to go through Amazon to get a refund and order the animals I wanted from SpielMaterial, since they had the next best price.

Turns out return shipping wasn't cost effective so I was told to keep the card games - I'll be sending them off to the Toy Mountain Christmas drive in December.

Politely restated my position - didn't really seem fair to expect people to intuit that despite the entire page pointing to one product, the only outlier (the picture) was what actually shipped. Next email I get back, someone has decided that it'd be okay to fulfil my order for meeples - but it was a one time deal. (Okay? I wasn't going to buy another listing off Amazon that seemed even 1% suspicious in the future anyways. Lesson learned!) Much to my delight, a few days later my long awaited critters finally made it in all their woody glory.

Is there a moral to the story? I really don't know... it was an experience. It certainly could have gone worse - Mayday could have flat out denied the transaction or done a refund. I've no idea how much going through Amazon counted in their decision either, if Amazon cares/pays attention to how vendors resolve customer issues nor which side they would have gone with, if any, had I needed to escalate the dispute.

Take it how you will. In the end I did get what I ordered though it took five days of emails back and forth. Overall, left with mixed emotions.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
AmaZon's rules are that if the product doesn't match the description, even if the description is wrong, the seller is at fault. I'm a tiny seller on Amazon and even I know that - learned the hard way.

If you had filed an A-Z claim you would have won. Mayday didn't do you favor. They avoided getting dinged on their metrics.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Good to know about Amazon's listing policies - I've never sold anything on there nor ever had to file a claim, so this is all new to me. Guess that's just one more reason to use a third party with clout when shopping for bits. I can say I've never had this kind of back-and-forth with any other game company, though my total sum experiences are exactly two which is a laughably small sample size.

In the interest of the fair representation I did get very prompt replies to all my email messages, forgot to mention that in my first post.

Figured after benefitting from so many of the forum posts and uploads it was about time to contribute something, even if it's something as insignificant as a customer experience.

*quietly disappears back into lurker mode*
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.