13 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Never played an LCG,love eldritch horror, should I get this?. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steram Shaw
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hi, as I stated above I've never played or really understand what an LCG is. I love this theme and I own and love Eldritch horror, mainly play it solo,just wondering if you'd recommend this game for someone who hasn't played an LCG before. is there anything els like it out already i could look at or watch a play through of to give me an idea what it is about? thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Never played an LCG,love eldritch horror, should i get this?.
Basically, an LCG is a different take on the Collectible Card Game model (like Magic: The Gathering). There are constantly new expansions being released which keep the game fresh over time as new cards open up new strategies and help old strategies evolve.

There is a demo video of this new game floating around, but I think it's only half a game or so. If you want to watch a play-thru of a full game, I would recommend Lord of the Rings LCG. Mechanically, it will play quite differently --- but the idea of playing your deck against what the encounter deck throws at you is similar.

I had never played an LCG before I picked up LotR, and I loved it instantly and have kept up with all the new expansions. Keeping up is optional, but if you love the game you will want to do so. (Most of the LCG's release around 10 expansions a year.) The other thing to be aware of is that the rules can come across as quite complex, and that wording on cards (and the timing of when you can play them) can be quite precise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Colddie
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Never played an LCG,love eldritch horror, should i get this?.
Well, since LCG is more a distribution type than a game genre, so I would not worry about it too much. Plus, if you buy just one core set and nothing else, it is just like buying a card-driven board game.

That being said, I think the best thing to look at is the Lord of the Rings LCG. Some of the core mechanics will be the same between these two games, they are both cooperative/solo games played with cards and published in the LCG format, hence appearing every some time and when you buy the pack you get all the cards you need, without any randomness. Plus, checking Lord of the Rings has the advantage that the game is available for quite a few years now, so there is plenty of good resources in any media type you want - youtube videos, podcasts, articles, blogs...I suggest checking the game's profile on BGG for details.

So, in short, if the game looks cool to you, you should be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only similar game out is the Lord of the Rings LCG.

If it sounds interesting to you, then give it a try. The core set will let you try enough of the game to know whether you want to collect it, just play the core only as a pseudo-boardgame, or don't like it.

If you're worried about not knowing how to make decks, this is not a big deal as you have several options. You can use the pre-made decks. You can "net deck" which is basically copying decks that someone else makes and posts. You can read articles or listen to podcasts and learn about how to make good decks. No matter what level of involvement you want, there's a viable option there for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E.

Virginia
msg tools
mb
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I have all the other FFG mythos board games, but this will be my first LCG.

I don't think my primary gaming group will be up for it, but it should work out great for my wife and I to play together.

Really looking forward to it. I know the deckbuilding aspect will be right up my alley. If my wife is less into that either I'll help her or she can get a build off the internet.

As far as the quick pace of content expansion, bring it on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike some of the responders, I'd say stay away from the LOTR LCG as there's so much out for it (including a billion and one described decks) that it could be somewhat overwhelming, especially if LOTR doesn't grab you...
It's also the case that FFG may well have improved any shortcomings of their previous LCGs, so no need to look at older games that may be flawed!

I'd suggest that you dive in to the core set of the AH LCG.

You obviously like the FFG mythos games and you play EH mainly solo. I imagine that AH LCG will be sort of like that, but more personal with a better narrative feel.

Heck - I may be wrong in that, but it's what my 1st impressions are from the promo material I've seen.

And just start with the core and treat it as a 1 box card game - if you like it then great! There will be expansions aplenty.

Indeed, the first expansion that has been released sounds like it should be an instal-buy for anyone who does enjoy the core game, as it'll greatly increase the number of investigator cards and missions/scenarios.

BTW - The old collectible card game (CCG) was a system where extra cards were often released and sold in packs with random contents - so if you wanted a rare card it could end up a bit like hunting down Panini soccer cards as a kid.

The living card game (LCG) model improved on the CCG model purely by getting rid of the random contents of booster packs/expansions.

i.e If you bought a pack of 50 cards then:
- in a CCG you wouldn't know exactly which cards you would have (they'd be randomly picked from a new expansion set of 100 or 200 or whatever).
- in a LCG you would know exactly which cards you would have (with maybe 4 packs of 50 each making up a 'cycle' of new cards).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will give you my background and experience with LOTR LCG as not being a CCG/LCG player.

I grew up on the RPGs (D&D, LOTR, CoC, Chill, WFRP, GURPS, etc) of the 70s, 80s, and early 90's. I didn't play many board games beyond some of the TSR and GW games. Like many people growing older, settling down, and getting a job really restricted my RPG groups ability to play to the point we all stopped. PC RPGs took over that hole in my life. Over the last 10 something years, I started getting into the thematic/RPG like board games (lots of FFG and Flying Frog) to play solo mostly or on occasion with my old RPG friends.

I completely missed the Magic revolution. I knew enough of it to determine that I would not like it. Plus, it stole away a lot of RPGers I knew from our game nights.

I bought the LOTR LCG at launch and it just was not what I expected. I loved the art, the encounter decks really dripped with theme, and with a slight learning curve really enjoyed the game mechanics. The bad part was it was so damn hard. There was nothing to help ease me into the game beyond a single intro quest that could be very difficult. The easy mode at the time actually made it harder. I didn't want to build decks beyond adding more Gandalf. I didn't understand why the other quests seemed unbeatable. I wanted just a single deck to play all the quests and I wanted that deck to make thematic sense. I couldn't understand why thematically certain characters would ever be in a party. I felt like was given a bunch of random characters, events, items and told to go play with them even though it made no sense to me.

The reality was I just wasn't who the game was built for. There seemed to be a lot of others like me who had the same experience.

Since then I played a lot of Sentinels of the Multiverse and PACG.
I started playing Pokemon and the old Harry Potter TCG with my daughter. I found out I am kind of addicted to the collecting part, so probably a good thing I skipped the early days of MTG. All of that was a better intro to the CCG style games that when I recently gave LOTR LCG another try, I really loved it. I stopped trying to make it into something it wasn't. I also appreciated that FFG listed to gamers like me by making the Saga expansions and creating an easier mode that actually worked. It also helped when I accepted that part of the game is buying more cards and that the base box alone was not a great starting point for a novice.

It seems they have learned from this from what I have been reading about the AH LCG it should be an easier starting point for a novice. Still I would recommend not approaching AH LCG expecting a deep RPG like experience. I think some of us are hooked by another AH/EH type game but now with a long thematic campaign where your character grows. Just expect that it might not be as deep as you want there.

I think it is going to be great game, just approach it with an open mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
YES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
clip611 wrote:

It seems they have learned from this from what I have been reading about the AH LCG it should be an easier starting point for a novice. Still I would recommend not approaching AH LCG expecting a deep RPG like experience. I think some of us are hooked by another AH/EH type game but now with a long thematic campaign where your character grows. Just expect that it might not be as deep as you want there.

Personally it seems to have more of a RPG feeling to it based on what happens at the end of the Scenario for the next one. It may not be as deep as some of the other Card RPG games out there but it certainly seems far better than what LOTR was.

The campaign mode is what peaks my interest so far as it can change based on how well you do in previous scenarios. That's one of the biggest changes this game seems to have over LOTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
SgtTenor wrote:
clip611 wrote:

Personally it seems to have more of a RPG feeling to it based on what happens at the end of the Scenario for the next one. It may not be as deep as some of the other Card RPG games out there but it certainly seems far better than what LOTR was.

The campaign mode is what peaks my interest so far as it can change based on how well you do in previous scenarios. That's one of the biggest changes this game seems to have over LOTR.

Of course, this is also a feature in many of the recent LOTR expansions....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Ft. Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JudgementDave wrote:
Unlike some of the responders, I'd say stay away from the LOTR LCG as there's so much out for it (including a billion and one described decks) that it could be somewhat overwhelming, especially if LOTR doesn't grab you...

This is true, even if he tried to get them off the used market there's likely to be such a pile of cards it would be overwhelming for a newbie.

My normal LCG purchase strategy has been to wait till the initial wave of interest is over and then scoop up the additional core sets (often with one or two expansion decks) on the used game/trade forums. I've been able to acquire very nice playable sets of most of FFG's LCGs at reasonable prices without "chasing the dragon" of completeness.

This only works in the initial lull when people still have little invested and are looking to get out early, wait too long and you're looking at much higher prices for much bigger lots of cards than you might want to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cranky hobbit
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
JudgementDave wrote:

Yep gotta say I did this about a year ago and bought almost the whole set of LOTR and found it massively overwhelming to continually build a deck from so many cards.
Having said that, I am keen to start with a new LCG so I have time to grasp the concept before collecting future expansions.
So I agree, get on board with the new AH LCG if your keen on the theme and how the game (so far) plays. I am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unai Martinez
Spain
flag msg tools
No doubt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.