6 Posts

Magic: The Gathering – Arena of the Planeswalkers» Forums » Variants

Subject: A Logical Pokemon Spinoff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
I must be playing too much of this game lately, because I had a dream last night about it- only, instead of our beloved MTG franchise, the game was played similarly, but with Pokemon characters instead.

Now, I'd much rather have MTG, but Pokemon is huge right now. I think a similar game to this could actually work really well, and might sell like crazy. The main issue I see right now are two things-

1, Spell cards
2. Victory conditions.

The problem with spell cards is that Pokemon trainers aren't planeswalkers, and don't know magic. So, to rectify this, I think there are a few options. Either replace "Spells" with items, such as potions and revives, or make "spells" into special attack cards that can only be played by Pokemon of a certain type- for instance, all electrical pokemon can play a yellow card during their activation for a special electric attack.

As far as victory conditions go, that's a bigger issue. Pokemon don't really usually attack other trainers, so we can't really duplicate the creature vs Planeswalker action from this game. Perhaps there could be more of an EDH setup where each trainer plays a Pokemon at the beginning of the match, and the match has ended when that Pokemon is out- making the trainer more of a "medic" class and that pokemon more of a "commander". Otherwise, maybe you just play until all pokemon have been defeated, and if a trainer has no Pokemon on the field then they have to put at least one out on their turn (with summoning sickness).

Anyway,I think this could be successful. Pokemon isn't really my thing anymore, but I know it's gotten pretty popular again, and I think Hasbro (or whoever) might do well to do something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Ostolaza
Peru
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a pokemosn TCG, and has all about potions, buffs and such. Maybe moving your trainer around the board should generate the "energy" your pokemon requires to be summoned and will use in battle. Bigger pokemons will require more traveling...

This "mana harvesting" mechanic is something the board game misses... but may be added easilly. Your planeswalker may get mana from any land surounding him... and then cast your spell or your creatures...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koingzell Kylar
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a topic on that on the Heroscape forum if you are interested, here the link (more a heroscape version than AotP, but the feeling is here):
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=31460
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hernandez
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC60jOuYKt-7X3Jk2QR7N94A
badge
Cards and Cardboard (CnC) Reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I was talking with my friend Collin about this subject a bit and we figured it would almost work off the Nobunaga's Ambition version of Pokemon. Makes the "trainer" character a viable target and attacker, and can use tactic cards to re-arrange or support members of their squads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
rostolaza wrote:
There is a pokemosn TCG, and has all about potions, buffs and such. Maybe moving your trainer around the board should generate the "energy" your pokemon requires to be summoned and will use in battle. Bigger pokemons will require more traveling...

This "mana harvesting" mechanic is something the board game misses... but may be added easilly. Your planeswalker may get mana from any land surounding him... and then cast your spell or your creatures...

Interesting.

It might be cool to have many spaces containing certain markers that players collect when they land on them as they move, almost PacMan style, that build up and could be spent on casting Pokemon. There could even be certain strategies to blocking off opponents by taking points near them and cutting them off.

Or, a more thematic way might be simply that Pokemon have to be summoned in certain locations. For example, water pokemon can only be summoned in pools of water, fire pokemon in lava pits, Electric Pokemon near transformers, etc. This way, trainers are forced to move around a little bit, or suffer the wrath of type disadvantage. For example, you'd have to balance your strategy of having the convenience of being able to summon all of your pokemon at the pool if you're only using water types, but you'll be out of luck if a few grass or electric types come out...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reggie P
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.