Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In two player games, I never come remotely close to decking out. In my first three player game, we all were going to. This is a really uninteresting way to win. Should we have more than 30 cards for this format? Or is there a different deck out rule for multiplayer? We decided to just keep playing but you just don't draw. If we didn't miss some official rule, I think next time we will just reshuffle. (We were doing random decks, btw.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nikolaos Kamoudis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No,if one is deck out he win tha game or else the battle will just go on for a long time......

Banish and recycle abilities help to remove discard cards....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand, but it was random decks. Didn't really have a way to manage that, and it is an unsatisfying way for a game to end. Thanks though. Good to know we weren't missing anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you're going to be playing more-than-2 players frequently, it would be worth your while to pick up a second or third set and build bigger decks.

At least go with 40-card decks with 3 players for now, to use all the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have plenty enough cards to deal out bigger decks, I just didn't anticipate the problem and went with default size. I think we'll do that next time, though hopefully we have an even number next time and can just do teams which probably won't have the same problem.

While I understand the previous poster's point, in free for all you burn through your deck just as fast as normal but lose health more slowly since your opponents may be splitting their attacks or more wary to attack at all with more threats coming at them if they have no defenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dare say that if somebody wins by decking out, the game has overstayed its welcome by a step or two.

To me, Epic is fun when it's short and fierce, not when it's a prolonged battle of stalemates.

It's also worth noting that similar to Magic, I really dislike 3-player games. There is always a 2-vs-1 situation and I think Epic is best at 2 or 4 players (2-vs-2, or 1-vs-3 using Elder Gods).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Free for all is not for everyone. If it had overstayed its welcome, I wouldn't play it again, but all involved were enjoying it and disappointed at the cheesy way it was bound to end, so here I am.

I would agree that any other format is superior, but there were three of us and I wanted to teach them Epic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
Free for all is not for everyone. If it had overstayed its welcome, I wouldn't play it again, but all involved were enjoying it and disappointed at the cheesy way it was bound to end, so here I am.

I would agree that any other format is superior, but there were three of us and I wanted to teach them Epic.

Then more power to you.

I agree with the idea to just make the decks bigger. Shuffling the discard into the deck if it's empty is also a good idea. I wouldn't advice to just not draw because then you can pull off some tricks that weren't meant to be, by recycling certain cards and then playing them turn after turn.

Just out of curiosity, how long had you been playing when the first deck ran out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I don't recall. An hour or two. Very atypical Epic playtime, for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone curious, after playing three more three player games (stuck with thirty card decks), one of them draft, no one else decked out, though in one or two it was close. So I think we just had an unusual first game of free for all with someone stalling out with Inner Peace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.